Blue-ish Green question

scrappy

Registered
Today i pulled my Hahn RaceCraft Portfueler off my bike to do some work on the motor (If anyone is looking for a portfueler i have one for sale. Practically brand new, has maybe 5 hours on the entire unit, i need money for motor work nothing wrong with the unit or the housings. I have photos if interested. Everything the HRC kit would contain comes with this product).

When i pulled the throttle bodies off the portfueler i noticed a green-ish blue or blue-ish green substance on the bottom of the throttle bodies, portfueler housing and it has gone into the head all the way into the combustion chamber. I have been using AVGAS in the motor for tuning. Does AVGAS react with anything like grease or WD-40 or other liquid or metal to cause a blue/green substance?

I smelled and tasted it. Could not determine what it was.

I am running engine ice, I know that has a purple color to it, the only way any kind of coolant would to that the throttle bodies is if the intercooler was leaking. I haven't seen any leaks on the plenum nor did I see any inside the airbox.
That's why I'm thinking it has to do with some chemical reaction but I'm not sure what the combination is. Ill post photos when I get home. Also, my phone hates the new .org layout

I know they run a red dye in farm diesel around here. Maybe it's something similar to that with that aviation fuel :dunno: Is it 110 or what ?

The substance has a grease consistancy to it. Yes I tasted it, I didn't consume it. I just wanted to see if it contained fuel or coolant. Both those liquids have distict flavors and it would be easier to figure out what's going on. The goo had no flovor at all.

dont think avgas has any radiator fluid in it, some may have an agent of antifreeze but thats it, used to get the same color your talking about from the race gas i used in the drag bike on the 5 gallon container i used to store my gas in, blue green color crystal like substance from air hitting it i believe but the color of the gas was yellow/C14

I know AVGAS doesn't have engine coolant in it... I was thinking maybe the coolant had seeped from my intercooler into my intake mixing with the AVGAS. A local builder here is telling me he thinks its just the AVGAS and the way it dries on metal.

sorry someone said antifreeze, anyway he could be right that stuff does react diff with metals and plastics, i doubt its your coolant, prob just the fuel being weird.

I got chance to talk to one of the local pilots here. I told him about my substance and he gave me some information that which i didnt know. Apparently the AVGAS sold at the airports here are two different colors. one contains a blue dye and the other contains a green dye. he said the reason they do this is mainly for trouble shooting. If you come across a fuel leak on your aircraft you can easily find which fuel tank its coming from based on the color. (one fuel tank gets blue dye, the other fuel tank gets green dye)

He believes that since i purchased AVGAS at two airports the dyes mixed and made this blue/green color. He thinks the containers still had dye left over from the previous fill up and it just happened to be the opposite color on my next fill up. Which makes common sense now that i know the colors of the dyes used.

Back