Black Bird got me

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
So I'm crossing the northern edge of a local lake and have about a two mile stretch of nice flat smooth road, no side roads, no traffic, water on both sides. I roll back on it for a short burst then I see it. Single blackbird flying same direction I am going about head height except much, much slower. I drop my head and hoped it would hit the top of my helmet, instead I caught it square in the left shoulder. Felt like a brick and I'm sure the bird didn't survive. Thanks to proper riding gear, not so much as a red mark or bruise and pain from impact passed within a couple minutes.

When I heard mention that the Hayabusa ate blackbirds I didn't quite have this in mind and I'm glad it hit me and not the bike.

nice job on keeping control and not freaking out. I have never hit one with my body, just ran one over...I guess he couldn't see me coming at the speed of light.

I had a suicidal robin hit my helmet above the shield at about 50 mph. Weird feeling when your neck bends back all the way. Sore neck for a few days but the bird didn't fare so well.

OK, you guys wont believe me but i will tell ya anyhow was riding on a road called skaggs springs road some time ago with some friends from work this is a road that some off the ORG members have been on with me and know the road well so i was riding along on my gixxer, great twisties, 47 miles none stop from coast hwy 1 to hwy 101 when as i sweep around a turn i see a bobcat run from the side of the road down an embankment, I'm on a good lean, and the kitty leaps from the side of the road and hits the back of my bike and tumbled off on to the road i almost crash, have a coronary, and pizz my pants it lived, got up ran off all dazed and staggering but i got pics to prove it

bobcat_6_2307_skaggs_springs_24__2_.jpg

glad ya didn't get wiped out, believe me i know the feeling
beerchug.gif

bobcat_6_2307_skaggs_springs_25__2_.jpg

OK, you guys wont believe me but i will tell ya anyhow was riding on a road called skaggs springs road some time ago with some friends from work this is a road that some off the ORG members have been on with me and know the road well so i was riding along on my gixxer, great twisties, 47 miles none stop from coast hwy 1 to hwy 101 when as i sweep around a turn i see a bobcat run from the side of the road down an embankment, I'm on a good lean, and the kitty leaps from the side of the road and hits the back of my bike and tumbled off on to the road i almost crash, have a coronary, and pizz my pants it lived, got up ran off all dazed and staggering but i got pics to prove it
Silly kitty tried to eat the wrong bird
laugh.gif

Glad both of you guys r o/k but you better keep an
eye out for P.I.T.A

so i was riding along on my gixxer, great twisties, 47 miles none stop from coast hwy 1 to hwy 101 when as i sweep around a turn i see a bobcat run from the side of the road down an embankment, I'm on a good lean, and the kitty leaps from the side of the road and hits the back of my bike and tumbled off on to the road   i almost crash, have a coronary, and pizz my pants     it lived, got up ran off all dazed and staggering    but i got pics to prove it
woot.gif
Now we have proof that bikes attract wild *****

cats!

One of the better ones I've seen, and great job keeping that gixxer right side up considering the situation.
bowdown.gif
I hadn't really thought of my situation as being a situation to cause a crash but I guess had I freaked out it could have been bad. Had just tacked it in second and hit third so I was moving fairly well.

Biggest thing I have to really watch for here is deer. I live in trophy whitetail area and huge deer are common here. I've worked several crashes where riders have hit them and it usually isn't a good situation.

When the busa was brand new I hit a mallard type duck square in the forhead of my helmet. I tried to duck ha ha but it was too late. I killed it. It cracked my neck but didnt hurt me. Lady in explorer going the other way saw it and was amazed i was ok we both turned around to see if it as dead. feathers everywere.

Deer, Turkeys, and at night Possums in the road. Jelly bugs that splash over your whole shield rendering you blind at 100mph, bullit bugs that feel like you've have been shot, especially through a mesh jacket. It's a jungle out there.
laugh.gif

I thought his was going to be a post about how you got beat by a Honda Black Bird
laugh.gif
Glad you came through it OK. I took a bat in the shoulder once just after dark. They make quite a thump on impact. +1 on the gear.

Deer, Turkeys, and at night Possums in the road. Jelly bugs that splash over your whole shield rendering you blind at 100mph, bullit bugs that feel like you've have been shot, especially through a mesh jacket. It's a jungle out there.
laugh.gif
I lived down your way in the late 90's, I remember some of those Southwest MO critters and bugs, lets not forget the armadillos either

What's the deal with black birds?? About 4 years ago,......I was out riding some rural roads near my home,.......coming out of a sweeper into a long straight-away,.............accelerated up to about 130 mph,......and a large black bird flies up from tall weeds near the road. I gripped the bars tightly and ducked in behind the windscreen,.........not knowing what to expect.

I felt a huge impact near the right front of my Busa,........and suddenly,......the front brake spiked. I saw the bird drop into the roadside ditch. A sharp, almost numbing pain was felt from the fingers on my right hand. I was only a mile or so from my home so I continued on at a much slower pace.

After parking my bike in my shop,.......I found that the right front turn signal lens was broken,........and most incredibly,......the front brake lever had been bent across my fingers to the grip. I say "incredibly" because the aluminum levers do not bend,.......they usually break.

After a prayer of thankfulness,......and a week with very sore fingers,.........all was good.

Ah road kill threads are always fun! Personal tally on the Busa so far has been several starlings and Robbins, two possums (already dead, it was a foggy morning) and one snake.

I was just reading an article about Gary Eagan's coast to coast run across Canada a year or so ago and he was actually drafting the semi's to avoid hitting Moose!
wowold.gif

I had a couple birds fly along side of me for a short time. It was a neat experience.

I took a bird in the windshield of my GPZ 750 when I was younger and was not wearing a helmet. The bird impacted the shield but the Blood impacted me. Not sure what type of bird, all I saw was red.

Back