Bike thief tactics

steelhead

Registered
Recently, someone keeps setting off my audible bike perimeter sensor on my Scorpio Alarm. Living in an apartment complex, the residents lodged a "request" with the security guards that I disable my alarm's audible alarm system. Mind you, the security guards sleep on duty.

Wishing not to disturb the apartment residents, and wishing on my part to avoid a possible confrontation on the Resident's Board, I turned off my alarm two days ago.

Well, just two days pass and I get a bike theft attempt. It had been raining, and the parking lot was empty. I'm watching TV and then... beep beep beep. My Scorpio pager unit displays "Bike Tilt...Bike Tilt", and lo and behold, the parking cones have been moved. By the time I get downstairs, I can't find the thief (thieves?). Fortunately, though I had disabled the perimeter alarm, the audible Shock Sensor and Tilt sensor were still ON. I have never had my bike tilted until I disabled the perimeter sensor.

What should I do? I haven't had a bike theft attempt until some residents demanded that I disable the perimeter sensor. What is more important? Their sleep or my 2005 Hayabusa?

BTW, I have seen the local teenagers try to steal bicycles at 1:00am. So, this is not an isolated incident.

What should I do?

SteelHead

I would report it to the property management and turn the audible back on until they get some security.

Don

I would report it to the property management and turn the audible back on until they get some security.

Don
+1

One question, where in South Korea are you. If your in Seoul I would biotch at a complaining neighbor. Been there twice, Seoul is one of the noisiest cities on the planet. Don't know how your alarm could wake them up but the city that never sleeps doesn't...

I'm in a busy area of Seoul. The parking area is closed off so it is not facing busy street traffic. It is perfect for bike thieves.

I asked for designated motorcycle parking, but the security guards refused. So I'm parked where all the other cars are, under serious cover of darkness.

Do you live upstairs or downstairs? Downstairs and I would have the bike in my living room.

Don

I'm sorry. I just wanted to sit on it. It's so pretty. I didn't mean to "alarm" you.
biggrin.gif
j/k

Definitely report it!!

Let the Residence Board know you'll turn off your alarm IF they provide to you in writing that they're will to take full responsibility of the value of your bike if it's stolen or damaged.

Keep the perimeter on but set it only in PAGING mode - this is worst case scenario.

I would just leave everything ON - or negotiate with the people who are complaining to pay for your garage.

I would also try and negotiate with a resident on the first floor if you can park the bike in front of their window so that they can check on it every once in a while. Send them a cake / pizza every week. This is what I do in-between rides. I have a garage for overnight parking and the bike is in the garage almost all the time unless I plan to head back out again within a couple of hours.

If you park in a garage - park your car right in front of the door. They have to get past your car to get at the bike. This is also another tactic of mine. Sure it is a hassle but I sure sleep well at night. Scorpio is also on FULL TIME
smile.gif
Garage has its own alarm if it is opened by other-than-normal means.

I plan to start sleeping in my garage...not for security...just because I love my Busa so much that I dont give a sh*t what the neighbors think about my security fanaticism.

Is there a specific time that this happens? Maybe you ought to try and camp out in a car out there to watch and wait. Then bust them fools up with a baton. The security guards should be enough of a deterrent to prevent any attempts otherwise they aren't doing their jobs.

Maybe it IS the security guards trying to pull a fast one...not the first time this has happened. Most of them are just hired help with no affiliation etc. so they have no qualms about stuff like this.

Nope...I will keep em on all the way...if they don't give a shedd about your property? well, then...
don't worry about it...but, I would make a sign on it...put up a sign on your bike...Do not turn off your alarm...
mad.gif

Can you wire the audible alarm to the tilt sensor? Eliminating the perimeter sensor. And yes I would report it. But that audible would be working one way or another. You paid good cash for your bike. No one has the right to help get your stuff stolen. Fug them people.

I'd leave the audible alarm on, and disable the perimeter sensor (or turn down its sensitivity). That way any serious attempt to steal your baby will get the loud response it deserves. False alarms will be reduced. Neighbors should not complain about your alarm going off during a serious theft attempt (not just somebody walking around your bike)

It sounds to me like thieves have been probing your bike's defenses and made a "real" theft attempt when they thought you left the alarm off.

Do you have any other security devices on the bike. If not add disc locks a chain etc. The visual impact is often enough to keep thieves looking for something easier. Battery powered wireless security cameras are cheap enough now days. Hook one up, don't tell a soul and set the vcr to record.

A point and a suggestion.

If you have a cover on your bike, and it's rainy (i.e. the cover is wet), and windy - this triggers your perimeter sensor because wet cover movement affects electromagnetic field created by the perimeter sensor - so it thinks someone is moving around. So, on a wet and windy day the perimeter sensor will be triggered every few minutes, so there is no point to enable it.

Regardless of the alarm: it's not clear from your post whether you put the cover on, or not. DowCo makes one cover with the built in alarm in it - Guardian Secure cover. It's a simple alarm hidden inside the cover. There is a string which is attached to a bike. The moment someone pulls the cover off, the string pulls the pin, and the alarm sounds. There is no way to stop it unless you re-insert the pin back - which is hard to do quickly.

So, the point is - the cover is a great first level of protection (even a simple cover). "out of sight - out of mind".

Also, try to be inventive. Anything non-standard will throw the thiefs off. E.g. attach a few loose empty cans to the bottom of the cover. It's extremely difficult to remove the cover without creating a lot of noise.

Otherwise, good luck! You might be better off if you find a indoor parking where an attendant is always there. Pricey, but peace of mind.

Back