bike sputtering

rch316

Registered
I have an 07 busa. I put a PCIII in two months ago and also run an open exhaust system with one foot long exhaust tips on the end with baffles (Pretty loud). The bike was running great with nice gains. I decided to put in a K&N air filter about two weeks ago and it seems like since I have the bike is sputtering when I stay at a constant speed in first gear anywhere between 0 and 20 miles per hour. It is also sputtering when I crank the throttle up over 10,000 RPM's and I lose power when it gets up over that. I have been reading the forum for different answers but cant exactly pin point what needs to be adjusted. I threw out my stock air filter so I can't put that back in the bike to see if the problem goes away. Do you think blocking the pair valve may solve the problem? Or do i need to have a new custom map made for the bike? thanks for anyone's advice on this.

The bike is also backfiring a bit on decel so blocking the pair valve is already a good idea, just wondering if that may be causing the sputtering and loss of power as well.

Do you think by putting the K&N filter in that I need to have a new custom map made for the PC? Maybe the A/F ratio is off now?

i would assume running open exhaust without a map for it could have something to do with it. if your gonna run it that way then i would recommend at least taking and getting it tuned for it.

The company i bought the PC from had me give them my setup over the phone. They put a map on the PC according to the setup i told them i have. My assumption is the map they put on it is not exactly what i should be using. There is no map I can download for the setup I have since I run open exhaust and i realize the only way to get the correct map for my bike is to bring it to a dyno tuning center as you mentioned.

If anyone has any other ideas that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You know im having the same problem with my 07. it also started after i put my k and n in.
rock.gif

ive had my k&n in for a year and not a problem rule it out go buy a new oem air filter. go get the bike dyno tuned

Same problem with mine. I just assumed it was the map. I had it dynotuned before. It just started doing this recently......i was thinking it was bad gas.

try the stock filter or no filter like said..i would also change the spark plugs..sometime the filters are to wet and the oil from them mess up the plugs..

just a thought..

Check your vacuum lines under your airbox. I had the EXACT same problem after I changed to my K&N. The bike was surging and scaring the crap out of me at low speed. Popped the tank, and sure enough, one of the vacuum lines to the bottom of the airbox wasn't connected. Popped it back on, and it was perfect!!

Sounds to me like its a valve synch problem. Search feature can help out with that aspect. While your in there checking your vac line you might as well go ahead and synch em.

Sounds to me like its a valve synch problem. Search feature can help out with that aspect. While your in there checking your vac line you might as well go ahead and synch em.
Maybe I'm dumb but what should i do in order to synch them?

What do you mean by "search feature can help out with that aspect"?

Its common to have the vacume tubes reversed under the airbox. That will cause this problem, trust me!

Back