bike skips first.

Wow everybody is so concerned of my riding background and mechanical history. I have riddin for many years on friends bikes and never had to deal with possible mechanical issues. And when it come to the busa I would rather be on it then a 600. Smaller bikes are easier to lose control of and want to stand up to quick. My bike stays grounded unless pushed to do otherwise. Sits low for great balance and you can kill yourself on a scooter just as quick as a busa. It is all about respect for the machine. I joined this group for questions in general not to be critisized for my bike choice. As a 31 year old man I am old enough to make my own choices and not be treated as a infant. Your concerns are appereciated but please don't judge until you have the whole truth. Enjoying a nice cruise down the road should not justify my bike choice or styling of bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK then I will answer your question as clearly as I can. The hayabusa's gears are 1 down from neutral(which would be first gear) then 5 up from there.
2nd gear is the one up from neutral. If you dont shift down from neutral you will never get first gear.
1-N-2-3-4-5-6

The possible mechanical issue is YOU -you dont know the most basic fundamentals of riding any motorcycle. Almost all bikes 98% are set up like this.

I feel like I shouldnt have even have explained it to you...Please go take a course before you start to ride. You have the best motorcycle out there, do it and us all a favor and learn how to ride before you get hurt or hurt someone else.
I say this with no ill will intended.

Last edited:
OK then I will answer your question as clearly as I can. The hayabusa's gears are 1 down from neutral(which would be first gear) then 5 up from there.
2nd gear is the one up from neutral. If you dont shift down from neutral you will never get first gear.
1-N-2-3-4-5-6

The possible mechanical issue is YOU -you dont know the most basic fundamentals of riding any motorcycle. Almost all bikes 98% are set up like this.

I feel like I shouldnt have even have explained it to you...Please go take a course before you start to ride. You have the best motorcycle out there, do it and us all a favor and learn how to ride before you get hurt or hurt someone else.

Well again I wasent trying to be a azz with my last post it was a mechanical question and the bike when in neutral and I try to shift down to first the peg stays solid and does not shift there only shifts up to second which is why I had a concern and confusion. As a responsible person I wanted to find out and learn what I don't know so that safety is number one. I don't want to be on road if there is a mechanical issue. And riding classes aren't going to teach you to be a certified mechanic I thought this forum could be a tool to learn and save time and money before running to shop. I have total respect for the bike and its capabilities. And just because it can do the speed and acceleration it is capable of does not mean I am out racing around. So please accept my apologies if I have upset anyone I joined to learn and be a part of the hayabusa world. I enjoy riding and anyone who knows me will tell ya I would rather be out riding slow and enjoying the freedom and sights then racing recklessly worrying about getting caught by cops.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, serious advice, I hope you take it and don't get upset about getting it, cause, well, you need it.

1) Go sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Do it now. Online.
2) Motorcycle gears are, push down once, you're in first. Pull up, you're in 2nd. pull up again, 3rd, etc.
Push down to change gears lower. When you get back to 1st, pull up once for neutral.

Do some searching on here for chain maintenance. Sounds like your problem to me.

:welcome: to the org. Lots of people here have lots of advice. You'll find it useful.

So where are all the people with advice? All I am getting is treated like a infant by most and critisized for my bike choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

When you try and put it in first and it doesn't go, let the clutch out a bit and pull it back in and try again. Sometimes you have to do this to get the syncronizers to line up for it to drop in gear. The surging you are feeling, from what I was told, mine does it to, is the factory tune. It just needs to be tweeked a bit fo it to stop doing it. This is what I have been told by talking to members on here.

When you try and put it in first and it doesn't go, let the clutch out a bit and pull it back in and try again. Sometimes you have to do this to get the syncronizers to line up for it to drop in gear. The surging you are feeling, from what I was told, mine does it to, is the factory tune. It just needs to be tweeked a bit fo it to stop doing it. This is what I have been told by talking to members on here.

Wow thank you it is nice to get answers to the question I asked. I know it is running really rich and plan on having it dyno tuned this winter. Plus a complete once over thanks for the advice
Posted via Mobile Device

So where are all the people with advice? All I am getting is treated like a infant by most and critisized for my bike choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Let's take a moment and evaluate your opening statement...

Anyone have any ideas why my 02 busa skips first and goes straight to second from neutral?

I, and apparently everyone else, read that as, "when I shift from neutral I'm in 2nd." So all of our answers are factual and trying to be helpful. We also got the impression you are a total newb to motorcycling. Apologies if we got that wrong.

Am I the only one who noticed the complete change of grammar and syntax which took place between pages 2 and 3?

Am I the only one who noticed the complete change of grammar and syntax which took place between pages 2 and 3?

Sounds like the Army is taking very good care of you......your mind is as sharp as ever! hoo-waah! :beerchug:

Wow who would have thought a simple question would have turned into everything but that. Grammer, age, mechanical background. If I was perfect what would I need this place for?
Posted via Mobile Device

As far as surging it is probb. lean around 3k rpm's. We richened mine up to get rid of the cruise surge. I would adjust the chain properley and lube it. Change the oil and filter. Maybe the oil is old and not allowing the tran's to shift correctly. Worst case have one of your friend's that own's a bike and it ride after you check or do that stuff to evaluate the way it shift's and run's. Take it easy on it untill you know it's solid. Good luck. By the way, my busa was my first street bike.

oh yeah... :rofl:

pics are what give some credibility to sometimes incredulous threads. i have had nothing but good experiences with this board, and am grateful to have found it.:thumbsup:

one of the disadvantages of an online venue is that it is a sight unseen interaction.

busa597: assuming that you are legit, and that your issue is that you are unable to shift down to first... engine running/ not running still no engagement? not being able to get first is a pretty odd problem. even when the gear itself is shot out, you should still be able to "get" it. it could pop out under load, but you should still get it.

if this occurred on mine, i would more than likely tear down for inspection...

Wow who would have thought a simple question would have turned into everything but that. Grammer, age, mechanical background. If I was perfect what would I need this place for?
Posted via Mobile Device
This comes in handy for guys like you :rofl:

post-6-16670-post_6_85470_Troll_spray__Large___Small_.jpg

Sounds like the Army is taking very good care of you......your mind is as sharp as ever! hoo-waah! :beerchug:

That's because I was at a navy med center, lol. If it'd been an army hospital, I would've been dead already

Back