Bigger Rear Wheel

drewwerd13

Registered
The tire that comes on the stock Hayabusa is a 190. However, it looks like there's room and I think it would look pretty nice to have a 200 on the back. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this with their Hayabusa. Is it possible? What are the pros and cons of having a bigger rear tire?

It has been done by some of the folks here on our board. One of the pro's, looks bad azz.......... One of the con's, cornering suffers........
I brought this post back up in common problems for your reading enjoyment.....Ks

I'm not too big on cornering anyways. Not until I buy some leathers with knee pads and stuff. Do you need to buy a new rim to put a 200 on the rear wheel or will the stock rims handle it?

According to what I have read the stock bt-56 is actualy a 198/50 profile so it seems that a 2mm wider tire wouldn't make that much difference?

I have not run a 200 profile tire on mine -- so read with a grain of salt.

The big difference is going to be in handling. The 200 tire won't turn in as easily, wont be as stable in the turn, and won't accept midcorner corrections as quickly. In other words the bike will handle a little more like a cruiser. On the plus side there is more traction avaliable in a straight line.

You can actually run a 180 profile tire and get much faster handling than stock -- but at the cost of straight line traction for acceleration.

OK guys, does it not make sense that if a 190 measures 198........then it's quite likely that a 200 measures the equivalent amount larger.............maybe 210 or so.
Just a thought, does anyone know for certain.

I understand yout theory, but were not just talkin about "a" 190. Were talking about a factory Busa 190.
Since I haven't measured , not 1 tire, I can only assume what I've read is true.
The BUSA factory spec, 190 measures 198.
It also has less tread depth than the same tire that is bought aftermarket.
These are Suzuki spec tires.
I was assuming that the aftermarket tire would measure 190
rock.gif

BUT, I could be wrong.

Did I make ANY sence?
confused.gif

One of the guys at the Service department at the Suzuki dealership has a 200 on his TL1000R. He says he has to fight around turns with that big tire on the back. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow and let y'all know what it feels like.

I understand yout theory, but were not just talkin about "a" 190. Were talking about a factory Busa 190.
Since I haven't measured , not 1 tire, I can only assume what I've read is true.
The BUSA factory spec, 190 measures 198.
It also has less tread depth than the same tire that is bought aftermarket.
These are Suzuki spec tires.
I was assuming that the aftermarket tire would measure 190
rock.gif

BUT, I could be wrong.

Did I make ANY sence?
confused.gif
Ummm.......er ...I guess a lil bit sleeper man.
Yeh, the other isuue here is that all manufacturers tires actually measure a bit different, so a 190 Dunlop might measure 190 where as a 190 Metzler might measure 196.
Just a thought.

I got 5000 miles out of my stock 190. I poped it and bought a 200 50 17 pirelli dragon it rocks. Its a little beafier but not much. I dont have any problems with corners at all. If I was worring about corners I would have got a pussy 600 the busa is made for balls to the wall not tracks and the 200 works fine with it. Yes theres plenty of room for a 200 and even bigger. I got my tire for $150 and $20 bucks to install it. After paying 200 bucks every summer for a tire I dont think I'll be doing any more burnouts unless I need to.

Yo Baby !!!!!!! Have u got any pic of the dragon tire (200)? Me wanna see.

YEah i want to see the 200 as well.... And I want to hear how it rides in the corners.... since I'm not dragging my knee it may not affect me much, but I still like to know i can drop like it hot in the corners and still hit it as i roll out on the straightaway

Well, I have a 200 on the back now. I really don't notice a difference in size. (Probably cuz it's the same size rim) And I don't really see myself fighting it into turns any more than I did with the 190. So the answer is, there's no difference between the stock 190 and the 200... in either looks or performance. However, I can see how a 180 would be way better for handling than a 200.

Back