Best Method for Cleaning Wheels

Dear BlueHaya & omslaw

I'm guessing that the proper way to lubricate the chain would be to

1. do it after riding
2. with bike on stand, put it in gear and spray the chain for approximately one revolution?

Where's the best place to buy the Honda polish?

I'm sorry I have so many questions, but I'm such a newbie.

--Jaddie

Dear BlueHaya & omslaw

1. do it after riding
2. with bike on stand, put it in gear and spray the chain for approximately one revolution?

--Jaddie
No no no! Do not run the bike in gear and lube the chain. Thats a good way to loose a finger! If you have rear stand, just leave the bike off and turn the tire by hand. You can get Honda polish at any motorcycle dealer. Also, when you lube teh chain, hold a rag or towel as a backstop to catch overspray. Are you coming to the bash? If so there will be a mulitude of folks with full sets of tools and know how to show you anything you need to know. I can show you the basics and will have tools, but I by no means know it all. That is why I rely on my brothers and sisters of the oRg.

Dear BlueHaya & omslaw

1. do it after riding

--Jaddie
Oops, He did it again!
laugh.gif
The QUOTE is our friend!
easybutton.png

First off invest in stands. That's what makes it easy. I agree with WD 40 method.

I like to use mean green because it will clean the rim good and the chain oil that gets on your swingarm it will also take the grim off. Then I use mothers to polish my chrome wheels, it works on my chrome wheels on the car and the bike!

In re: "No no no! Do not run the bike in gear and lube the chain. Thats a good way to loose a finger! If you have rear stand, just leave the bike off and turn the tire by hand."

I disagree. Since forever, I've been lubing chains from (behind) the rear sprocket and still have all my fingers. The only way to lose a finger is to lube it in front of the spinning sprocket and chain or with a rag in your hand. You do know to lube the edges of the chain right? Not down the middle. I count 5-6 seconds for each side and its done.

I use Meguiar's All Wheel to get the dust buildup from the brake calibers/rotors etc and those areas and I hit the rims with Plexus,cuts through the chain crap and stuff like nobody's business,cleans and shines all in one, done.

In re:  "No no no! Do not run the bike in gear and lube the chain. Thats a good way to loose a finger! If you have rear stand, just leave the bike off and turn the tire by hand."

I disagree.  Since forever, I've been lubing chains from (behind) the rear sprocket and still have all my fingers.  The only way to lose a finger is to lube it in front of the spinning sprocket and chain or with a rag in your hand.  You do know to lube the edges of the chain right?  Not down the middle.  I count 5-6 seconds for each side and its done.
Just tryin to keep him safe bro. I dont want to read about "what happened" last night.

Dear GMBusa & Donnie

What do you do? Just spray on the WD40 and wipe the wheels? What kind of rag do you use? Paper towels?

Then wax the wheels? Wow! That sounds like an hour or more of work.

Maybe I should see if my local auto detailer will do it. I'd pay US$20 to get my bike cleaned up after yesterday's ride.

--Jaddie
you may as well ask how to clean the chain....

In re: "No no no! Do not run the bike in gear and lube the chain. Thats a good way to loose a finger! If you have rear stand, just leave the bike off and turn the tire by hand."

I disagree. Since forever, I've been lubing chains from (behind) the rear sprocket and still have all my fingers. The only way to lose a finger is to lube it in front of the spinning sprocket and chain or with a rag in your hand. You do know to lube the edges of the chain right? Not down the middle. I count 5-6 seconds for each side and its done.
Just tryin to keep him safe bro. I dont want to read about "what happened" last night.
Exactly! Better safe than sorry!

Not convinced? Click Here to Read...

Dear Friends

What's the best way to clean wheels? The wheels I need to clean are gold in color and belong to my '08 'Busa.

Yesterday I went on my first ride in fourteen years. It was only 154 miles, but it just about killed my butt, back, and right wrist. I went through the north Georgia mountains through Suches and the Richard B. Russell Scenic Highway.

Now my rear wheel has no shine and is covered with some sort of greasy gunk.

On Thursday I should receive a pair of swingarm spools and a Pit Bull forward-handle rear stand.

I'd really like to get my rear wheel back into showroom condition.

I recall cleaning my '88 Ninja 600's rear wheel. That one wheel probably took me forty-five minutes to an hour to clean. Surely there's an easier, faster way.

Also, if you happen to know of a good polish to spray on the bike after washing it, please let me know what to buy.

My new 'Busa's looks are really growing on me. It's one of the most beautiful motorcycles I've ever seen.

--Jaddie
First thing is don't overlube your chain. And use Maxima chain wax...almost no fling. I just use a small california duster on my wheels after every couple of rides...very quick and works very well. When the dirt builds up enough I use WD-40 to clean the grime off then polish off the WD ( hint-spray the WD on a rag, NOT on your rims  
winkold.gif

thumb_up.gif
 ). Then back to dusting them. I have to WD prolly once every 1500 miles or so...and even then its a quick process. The main trick is use the chain wax and DON'T overlube and you'll be fine  
winkold.gif

laugh.gif

winkold.gif

I try to clean/lube the chain every 500 miles or less. I use kerosene to clean the chain and it gets all over the wheel. So I just take a rag and wipe the wheel and then all the grime is gone. Kill two birds with one stone you might say. I wipe the chain down and then lube. WD 40 also works on the wheel but I dont use it to clean the chain. Just my thoughts.
smile.gif

In re:  "No no no! Do not run the bike in gear and lube the chain. Thats a good way to loose a finger! If you have rear stand, just leave the bike off and turn the tire by hand."

I disagree.  Since forever, I've been lubing chains from (behind) the rear sprocket and still have all my fingers.  The only way to lose a finger is to lube it in front of the spinning sprocket and chain or with a rag in your hand.  You do know to lube the edges of the chain right?  Not down the middle.  I count 5-6 seconds for each side and its done.
Exactly!  Better safe than sorry!

Not convinced?  Click Here to Read...
Not at all the same thing as lubing a chain from behind the rear sprocket. This unfortunate guy tried to (clean) his chain with a rag, while the sprocket was spinning. Come on, I don't spit in the wind or tug on Superman's cape but I do know how to safely lube a chain with the tire spinning. If your hand (without a rag) is behind the sprocket holding a can with a 10" spray tube (about 12" away from the sprocket) there is no way you can lose a finger.

Jaddie,you can see what a pain in the ass these things can be to keep clean so you better give it to me. Used to be the new generation couldn't work on them now they wont even clean them.Ask me whats wrong with this country..Jack

Used to be the new generation couldn't work on them now they wont even clean them.Ask me whats wrong with this country..Jack
Dear Jack

I have no idea what's wrong with this country. I make it a point not to watch or listen to news or read the newspaper. The news always gets me down. Now, after perhaps six years of not tuning into any news, I have no idea what's going on. I'm delightfully oblivious.

See, I have no idea how to work on a car and I don't want to wash one, either. I clip coupons from a couple of local auto detailers and generally pay around US$20 including gratuity to have my car washed.

I'd rather part with twenty bucks than spend the time and money to clean my bike myself.

When I was a teenager I'd spend nearly twenty hours during the week getting my 600 Ninja cleaned up for a weekend ride. I enjoyed cleaning my bike then and might even enjoy it now, but I was trying to figure out if there were any shortcuts for the process.

--Jaddie

Back