best low dollar GPS

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Looking for an inexpensive GPS for my boy
(so I can get my Zumo 550 back :banghead:)

I would rather keep it on the lower end of 100-200 bucks.

Been thinking about a tom tom and having a hard time seeing
the differences between the models and read a few reviews
that did not blow me away.

As far as garmin goes, I'm NOT impressed with my Zumo 550...it's my
2nd one as the first fried and this is a warrantee replacement.
The thing will send me somewhere one way, then when I hit home
it sends me back home (which should be the same route reversed) some
crazy arse way that I gaurentee I would be lost bypassing roads
I know would be shorter. Darn thing sent thru Obama land in a Palin/McCain
mobile (lots of sticker and window paint) on the election night at about 11:00 :whistle:

My 550 was a 900 dollar unit, I'm a little worried how a 150 dollar garmin
would perform ??? (that's why I was looking at a tom tom).

Anyhow, opinion please.

I have only heard good things about the Zumo 550.
I was thinking of getting one for the bike.
If anyone is having problems please share.

I have been doing a little research on GPS and pricing. So for the motorcycle mount, weather resistant ones are most expensive. If you dont mind using a portable one or carrying one in your tank bag to protect from the elements there are lots of cheap ones. If you check buy.com any day of the week you will find several in the $100-200 range easily. Here is a magellan refurbished with bluetooth:

Magellan Maestro 3250 - 3.5'' Portable GPS w/ Preloaded Maps, Text To Speech, Bluetooth, and Live Traffic capability - Refurbished - 980-0011-R01 - Buy.com

I have a nuvi 670, use it all over the US and europe. Works great for me. My biggest thing with the garmin is staying updated on the maps/software.

My parents have a TOMTOM. They love it, simple to use but routes them around their elbows to get to the neighbor's ass just like the garmin can do.

I have found a new one and I think it might fit your bill to the letter. I have heard good things about it AND if you are going to be putting it in a car where the driver is maybe not familiar with the roads, could be a good thing. Its the only one I've seen that has the roadway lanes marked to tell you what lane goes where :cool:

Navigon 7100 GPS Navigation Device - 4.3" Touch Screen, Multiple Views, Text To Speech, 5 Million POI 10000140 at TigerDirect.com

thats the med priced one.. they have a smaller 3.5" screen one for under $100 too :D

Bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 from Amazon (about $150; it's not waterproof), and a Powerlet cord for hardwiring in the hump (about $35). Used some industrial-strength Velcro to attach to the Techmount (about $70). So, for about $250 plus shipping and tax, you get a great system.

I work for Magellan and install GPS units in everything form rental cars to air craft.. To be honest we offer the best out there, its not cheap, but you get what you pay for..

Back