Best Leather Cleaner

johnnybighit

Registered
Went out riding this weekend and came home covered in dead bugs. I was wondering what everyone uses on their Leather jackets and pants to get the sticky things off without hurting the leathers.

This is from ICON's website. Looks like they recommend Lexol

---------------------
Cleaning

Pre-cleaning

It is important to follow a few simple steps to prepare your jacket for washing. Remove the insulated liner from the jacket (if so equipped). When removing the liner unsnap each snap carefully - DO NOT apply excessive force - as this may break the snap. Remove all body armor from the jacket. Make sure to close all the velcro pocket flaps on the armor pockets.
Cleaning

INSULATED LINER
Hand wash the insulated liner in warm water (85°F/30°C) with a mild liquid laundry detergent. Thoroughly rinse insulated liner with clean water to remove all detergent. Should you desire to clean the body armor it can be cleaned by wiping the armor with a damp cloth.
LEATHER
The exterior of the leather jacket can be cleaned with any garment leather cleaner such as Lexol®. Take caution to avoid getting cleaner in contact with any patches, embroidery, rubber, or plastic components. Bug strikes and road debris are best removed with a soft bristled tooth brush. DO NOT use any form of detergent, bleach, automotive cleaner, or dry cleaning chemicals. These items will damage the garment!
Drying

INSULATED LINER
The insulated liner should be allowed to drip dry only. DO NOT use a machine dryer, direct sunlight, hair dryers or any type of heater during the drying process.
JACKET
DO NOT use a machine dryer. If your leather jacket becomes wet, dry it in a temperature neutral area away from heat or fans. Leather will dry better if it is placed on a towel to absorb water. When the leather is almost dry apply a leather conditioner, such as Lexol®, to keep it flexible. When the leather has completely dried apply an additional coat of conditioner. It is critical to care for your leather jacket properly when it gets wet because leather can be irreparably damaged by moisture and mildew.

I soak a wash cloth in warm water...then ring out most of the water, then wipe
down the leather. This will take off most if not all the bugs...after wards any
good leather preservative will work...Lexol makes a cleaner and a conditioner.

Lexol :thumbsup:

washcloth right off the hotel rack ... warm and damp... works wonders.. suppose I should put some dressing on

Glycerine saddle soap and then mink oil. Your local feed store, leather supply or sadderly will have all the good stuff.

I love Lexol. I first got it for my jacket now I use it on all my leather products.

Back