Been Over A Year Now Since I Had a Cigarrette!

You know why
Obesity overtaking smoking as America's number one killer

Because less people are smoking then ever before and they are using that BS BMI to rate obesity.

Smoking is bad for you and junk food is also.
But I would really like to know what is really in a cig besides tobacco. Like the slurry they spray on the tobacco to increase the nicotine content to make them more addictive and to taste better.

I smoked for 15 years and it was not easy to quit at all.

But I am with you on its your choice. Its America!

Your part of the reason this country is becoming the way it is with your attitude in trying to control Americans. Slowly the goverment is going to control everything your allowed to do and what your not allowed to do. I can garuntee you that I can out walk / run some fat azz that stuffs there face with big macs quarter pounders thats going into the cardiac center to have a stent put in after an angiplastic cause there arteries are clogged from the bio products used in fast food chains. Yeah my ciggarettes may have chemicals in them just as fast food places uses chemicals and steriods in there beef and chicken. This country is about freedom of choice.
I live in the tobbaco capitol of country with tobacco farmers all around me here in TN that rely on there crops to raise there family and make a honest buck to survive but its getting harder.
Not really sure where your from and how often you get out but many states dont require motorcycle riders to wear a helmet and last I checked protection, besides eye protection isnt required in ANY state so I am not really seeing your logic with the motorcycle safety gear or helmets.

Main Category: Obesity / Weight Loss / Fitness
Article Date: 09 Mar 2004 - 0:00 PDT

email to a friend printer friendly opinions

Current ratings for:

Patient / Public: 4.14 (59 votes)

Healthcare Prof: 3.96 (23 votes)

Article opinions: 10 posts

American government researchers said that obesity is quickly overtaking smoking as the country's number one killer. In fact, obesity is becoming such a problem that many experts now say it is compromising all the benefits of recent improvements in health care and medical breakthroughs.

According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) smoking in 2000 was the biggest cause of death - 435,000 people died. 18.1% of everyone who died in that year died of a smoking related disease.

But anyways great accomplishment on your quiting of ciggarettes.:beerchug:

I am happy you put down the smokes, it was a smart choice. However being in the medical field I find EVERYTHING is being blamed on smoking. He had a stroke, yup cause he smoked, he had a heart attack, yup smoking, high blood pressure, you got it smoking. He broke his leg? yup was hit by a car on the way to buy a fresh pack of smokes. He is 400 pounds has diabetes, is in total renal failure and is bed ridden because he has no limbs and lives in a vegetation state, you guessed it smoking. He loved the flavor of a smoke after a meal he ate him self into his condition. Yes smoking is bad, very bad, but so is eating cheese ( free radicals) as is milk, beef, chicken, fish, and everything else. Does smoking cause cancer? IMOP no, a frame shift in your DNA does. the cig may be the catalysis for that. Dont believe me? Take a biology 101 class and leave the farmers alone, let us make our own choices, and mind your own business. Good now I feel better, gonna go out for a smoke, want to join me lol

Alcohol, coffee, driving fast on motorcycles, hot women, cigarettes, chocolate ice cream, cheese pizzas, bacon, the bad for you list goes on and on...:banghead: Damn I am just going to live in a bubble and eat tofu and live healthy till I am 105 pooping on myself and having some stranger feed me peas from a can.
Might as well quit eating bacon, fried foods, also all these are known suspects for heart failure, just think of all the money you will save by eating organic lettuce, tofu, grilled turkey burgers, and drinking water, Hell live off the land and by the way, dont go out in public with automobiles and breath in carbon manoxide cause thats bad for you also.
'
Hey can you send me all your lighters since you wont need em anymore, any zippos?

Lets not rely on what the media and doctors say, lets look at reality here.. I used Wikipedia for my information..

I looked up the highest population country of smokers
and then I then I looked up the average life expected age by country...

Ranked #1 Japan!!! 79 for male and 86 for women.
United States ranked in at #38 75 for male and 80 for women

Now lets look at the highest percentage of smokers per country.. pic below.
Country with the highest percentage of smokers is........ JAPAN!!

Hmm I am having a hard time believing that smoking takes away your years....

Ahhhh I eat rots of fish and build fast motorcycle and riv very rong time... pufff pufff :laugh:

Smokers-as-a-percentage-of-adult-pop.jpg

Way to go, Paul!
I quit 12/10/10 cold turkey and yes it was and still is the toughest thing i have done.
The best thing to remember, is how much better you feel each day, granted there may be other side affects since you quitting,
such as weight gain, but you can work on that, if its a problem.
Take each day as another day, and keep a smile on your face of accomplishment!
Only you can keep it going!

Congrats, Paul! Every new day extends the streak, so keep it up. Glad to see you posting up.

I agree it's everyones choice. But isn't it funny how most of the people who stand up for their cigs are people who tried to quit and failed?:whistle:

Congrats sir! Two years for me on the 15th, Lost my Aunt in 2007 and my mother her sister in 2008. Smoking sucks period. :thumbsup:

Back