Battery / cold weather

gazzy

Registered
Had to leave my 2 week old bike at work couple days ago due to snow and ice on the rd , and it looks like it's not going to let up :( was wondering how long before battery starts going flat can it remain parked up ? And is it a good idea to just let the engine run for few mins , just to warm her up? I also have a datatool alarm fitted that emits a low lv blinking light .
Thanks for any input guys and gals

You need to throw a battery tender on it. After two weeks it might not start and the Busa doesn't do a great job of charging at idle. Do a search on winterizing the bike. You might decide to add treatment to the fuel and make sure the tank is full.

As DOT said, just put a tender on it while its parked!

Ta fir info guys I have a tender but it's at home in the garage , but the bikes at work and thier are no facilities to get a tender to it :(

Bad idea to start the bike to just warm it up - condensation gets into the oil and doesn't get burned off doing that. Best thing is find someone with a truck and pay them a few bucks to transport it home.

Being that its than new it will prob start.I take my battery out in winter bring in+put on battery tender every couple weeks.I would try do what JDSBUSA said or ride it home 1st chance.

Bad idea to start the bike to just warm it up - condensation gets into the oil and doesn't get burned off doing that. Best thing is find someone with a truck and pay them a few bucks to transport it home.

I wouldnt be worryed about the battery, Get that bad boy home before it gets jacked! every week we hear about some bodys bike getting riped off. Stop what your doing go get a truck and save you bike:rulez:

Got her home yet? Where do you live, I bet if you ask around one of the members will truck it home for you. I will if your close to me.

I would take the battery out, put it inside somewhere warm and put a Battery Tender on it.
Take it and put it back in warm and charged and the bike will start right up.
Good Luck!

I went three weeks without starting my 09 and it started right up when I wanted to ride. I would try to truck the bike home if I were you but if you really can't then I would take the battery out and put it on the tender inside.

Don't start it and let it idle. That does not charge the battery or burn off the condensation that is inside the engine. If you think the bike is going to be there for all of winter go ahead and finish the winterizing process. Fill the bike with oil to the top of the clutch pack, top off gas tank and add stabilizer and everything else that the manual says to do.

Make sure you don't start the bike after filling it with oil. :beerchug:

Last edited:
thanks all for the info really appreciate it :) got the bike home last night ,thier was a lull in the weather and it rained fairly hard so got on her and took her home ,good job aswell its snowing hard again here , just glad got her back didnt fancy leaving her at work over xmas , thanks again guys :)

Back