Barber in March

Powers739

Donating Member
Registered
I thought I would throw is out there:

I'm planning on doing my first track day at Barber, novice group of course.
newbie.gif
race.gif

Is anyone else planning on going or is interested in doing a track day. It's kind of intemidating going to a track for the first time, wouldn't mind having company or someone to show me the way.

I will have to check the dates and availibility but I believe it's scheduled for mid March.

i live an hour away...not interested in doing the trackday, but I could come up to do a meet and greet possibly!!
beerchug.gif

BullDog,

I will let you know what I end up doing. Have you been to a track day? I hear it's a pretty good time. Regardless, I will be happy to meet and greet with you or anyone else from the board...

Powers739,

Don't do it! You'll have WAY TOO MUCH FUN, and it will be all that you think about.
smile.gif

Generally, people will be very helpful, so don't get too stressed out. It does help if you can find someone who can tell you what's going on, and what to expect. VMAN1300 was a huge help to me.

I'm no expert, but I'll pass on a few pieces of wisdom:

1. Bike Preparation. Make sure your bike is prepared properly per the track organization your using (NESBA, etc.). If you have any questions, there's this forum, or the track org's forum for "tech" types of questions. If you've done all the work, it's one less thing to worry about. I remember seeing guys getting really stressed that their new plastic they were mounting wasn't going on well. And this was 30 minutes before they were supposed to get on the track!

2. Rider Preparation. You're probably already doing it, but research the track, make sure you have all the necessary safety gear (like a back protector). Check out Code's book "Twist of the Wrist". If there was one thing that really helped me was the use of RPs (you'll have to look it up -- consider it homework.
smile.gif
The night before, get some good rest. Stay hydrated during the day too!

3. Ride your own "race". Kevin told me this, and helped me not to worry about getting passed a lot. My first lap I was so scared of wrecking. The ONLY thing I was worried about was just getting around the track without crashing.

You'll have a blast! I'm doing Barber in late May (Code's Superbike School), so I'm anxious to hear your thoughts. It's probably one of the most technical tracks in the US, so you won't get to go as fast, but you'll definitely be honing those cornering skills.

Have fun!

smile.gif

Thanks for the info...

I have been doing some of my home work. I have read Twist of the wrist, and reference points, etc...

I am prepared for TRACK CRACK!

The bike is pretty much ready, just need to tape her up, the bike is more prepped than required, like safety wire. I will be taking it to the dyno this weekend to get a custom map...

My safety gear, I have just about everything except the back protector. one piece MotoGP suit, Sidi Corsas boots, A-Star Gloves, ....

I am just nervious because I will not know the "routine".... but I will figure that out. I plan on going, relax, and try to remember to breath...

I will be back in May as well, I will be there with the RC51.org ...

Back