Avon 45/45 ST

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
Just turned 1k miles on the new rubber. Haven't pushed them all the way to the edge yet, but only 1/8" off. Running 35 psi front and back. Thread depth is noticeably deeper that the BTS, but don't have a gage to measure. Developing a flat spot, but the stock rubber would have been far worse by now. After going through 2 Bridgestone rears in 9k miles I needed a change. These seem to be the answer for me in improving tire life without giving up cornering ability for the way I ride.
Have not had any wash to date. Will continue to push them to see how far they will go. Very happy so far. Thanks to GPW for giving me his opinion on these.
Very good in the rain.

Meant 45/46 ST

crazy.gif

+1 Bill ! I've got almost 1K on mine and am very satisfied with the wear / feel of them ! Tread is so deep that from some angles , they look like an off road tire .
laugh.gif

(busa_bill @ Oct. 30 2006,13:41) Just turned 1k miles on the new rubber. Haven't pushed them all the way to the edge yet, but only 1/8" off. Running 35 psi front and back. Thread depth is noticeably deeper that the BTS, but don't have a gage to measure. Developing a flat spot, but the stock rubber would have been far worse by now. After going through 2 Bridgestone rears in 9k miles I needed a change. These seem to be the answer for me in improving tire life without giving up cornering ability for the way I ride.
Have not had any wash to date. Will continue to push them to see how far they will go. Very happy so far. Thanks to GPW for giving me his opinion on these.
Very good in the rain.
I am glad to hear your review of these tires so far. My stealership actually recomended that I get these due to the fact I have yet to use a tire to life due to getting nails in the sides of the tires.

They recomended these tires due to the fact that they come with a road hazard warranty.

They did not have them in stock when I had to replace my last tire, but it sounds like the wear and performance are good from your review thus far.

(Professor @ Oct. 30 2006,10:43) Isn't 35lbs just a bit low?
I figured these to have a heavier sidewall construction so I lowered the pressure. Been working super so far.

I run mine at about 38 cold. They heat up to about 43psi. I ride them to the edge and love them. I am 6'2" 250lbs and have never had them slip or give at all. As long as I own a Busa and Avon makes that tire, that is what I will run.

Don

You are very welcome, they are great tires. I run 40 psi cold front/rear. I am now trying the their stickier Avon Viper Sports 59/60 combo now. Just did a track day and they held great and the track was cool. I know, I won't see the miles from the 45/46 but Avon does make great stuff and their tires are designed not to expand as much as other brands under heat. All my bikes will wear this brand. They also have something new hitting the market soon.......all good news.

I am told consumers should generally run the tires at 36-38 front and 40-42 rear. The sidewalls of most radials are very flexible so no need to run low air. Higher pressure equals better mileage, resistance to flat spotting.

If you are flattening the center of the Avon rear at 1000 miles you should add air! General consensus is 38-42psi cold.

Soft as I go is 40 front and 38 rear. Usually run 40-42 front and 40 rear.

35 rear is on the low side and 36-38 front is low as well. Last thing you want is an underinflated front....wouldn't go less than 40.

Keep in mind that only 38 psi you are already 10% below the recommended psi.

Yep, I love 'em too. Only have about 400 mi. on mine so far, and they seem like they stick very well, even on the cold roads in Pa. I look foward to spring to see how these puppies are gonna wear. Gotta be better than the BT56's. I hope to see some mileage reports from you guys who can ride all year round on them.

Love them. I wear the rears from side to side. I inflate to 42# front, 40# rear. I'm on my third set. 7,000-8,000 miles each.

Love my Avons i use the 46 in the rear and 49 in front . 2nd set been great never let me down yet .

The Azaro's are being replaced with a new tire package called the Storm ST 55//56 .

If the new tire wears well it will be good news for the guys who honk it on in the rain which was one thing I did not like about the 46 rear , it would roll up in the wet when power was dialed up high vs 2nd gear lofting the front out of a turn with a rear Pilot Power , same bike"s" . The newer tires with the high silica content tend to spoil a guy vs the older tech rubber compounds in that regard . Now , if they can make the mileage kinda equal the grip , all will be great .

Here's a PDF file on the newest release . They have a new DOT race tire as well .

Avon Storm ST 55/56

(mountainmotor @ Oct. 31 2006,02:26) The Azaro's are being replaced with a new tire package called the Storm ST 55//56 .

If the new tire wears well it will be good news for the guys who honk it on in the rain which was one thing I did not like about the 46 rear , it would roll up in the wet when power was dialed up high vs 2nd gear lofting the front out of a turn with a rear Pilot Power , same bike"s" . The newer tires with the high silica content tend to spoil a guy vs the older tech rubber compounds in that regard . Now , if they can make the mileage kinda equal the grip , all  will be great .

Here's a PDF file on the newest release . They have a new DOT race tire as well .

Avon Storm ST 55/56
Interesting indeed! Another new tire for the Busa to chew thtough!

In my fouled logic, I thought lowering the pressure might help the harder tire to plant in the turns. The only thing it looks like I got out of it is a flat spot in the center.

Oh well, live and learn.

Had the avon 2 tyres ago.

Wouldnt get them again.

Found he tread pattern was so deep that i could actually feel the grooves as I pulled away. Didnt like it

Also they are the only tire i have had that has broken loose in a striaght line accelerating on the freeway. At least twice in slightly less than perfect conditions, ie damp in the cracks but road surface dry. Going full throttle from about 60mph.

Same conditions that other tyres didnt spin.

Lost confidence in them after that and was scared to push hard in the corner.

Sure they did last a couple of thousand Ks longer.

I mean to say, its about the biggest combo of power and weight of any bike.

You really want to get tires that last 15% longer if they give you any degradatin in performance.

If so get a cheaper bike so you can afford to run it.
Or a less powerful one so u can safely use s.touring tyres.
or you can just ride like a pansie

its all good

moX

Guys were riding fast years ago on tires made out of the same stuff bicycle tires are. The Avon's rock and the new Storm's will be the cat's meow for sure. Any tire will break loose under acceleration on less than perfect road conditions and who goes full throttle on a slippery road? Sounds like a throttle control issue not tires.

they break loose more often than ANY other tire I have had on the bike.

Its comparative, g a f what happened 50 years ago.

Avon trades stick for longevitiy

its your call

moX

Back