Attempt number two

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Well,
Here goes. So in the Marine Corps (and I am sure every other service as well) they have changed the rules on motorcycle safety and training - truely for the better in my opinion. But, one of the changes is that they require refresher training (a course), every three years. Another change was the introduction of truely advanced training for sportbikes, specifically.

So - in 2007, I was part of the initial offering of the Keith Code California Superbike School AMOS course; AMOS stands for Advanced Motorcycle Operators School and is named after Marine General Amos who launched the couse while Assistant Commandant.

Well, a lot has happened since then for me - and I have been working to rebuild my skills - I have posted a couple of pics from Advanced Rider Track Days (a military version of a trackday - a lot of fun actually!)

But this last weekend, I got the opportunity to attend the AMOS course a second time... Hey - three year refresher right?

Here was how the program worked - 2 day schedule with a third day for rain contigency.

Day 1.
Tech Inspection. As soon as I rolled up, two coaches came up to me and asked me about coming back through. I towed the clinic (just in case) and rolled Bessie out and down. Appearently, in the first few classes that they did, I was the only Marine Busa to take the course, but probably most siginifcantly, the first time that I had taken the course, I had the worst 60 MPH stopping distance in the class on day 1; and consequently the largest improvement for day 2.

Who is this?

This is Keith's mode of choice for transportation... :lol:

So, first up in our day's events (following the Technical briefings and welcome comments) was an excercise in hard and quick braking at 40, 50 and 60 MPH. Taking a base line measurement for distance and then working on technique.

Next was a quick steering drill to work on fluidity of body movement at 20, 25 and 30 MPH (sort of a slalom course).

We did some work with a brake rigged bike designed to practice locking the front brake (it is fitted with outriggers to prevent side to side tip).

Then, to the Lean angle bike (an S1000RR - yeeeeeee!) This one has a rig to prevent the bike from falling and lowsiding:

Then on to what was called "Route 66", which is where there is a lane about the width of a four lane highway with alternating cones, just checking for comfort and control at increasing speeds. The first go, you follow the control rider out and back, then the next go out, they follow you. Here are two pics - the first is coming back from the observation ride, the second is me leading him out:

Last edited:
Okay, if people can see these then I will post the rest...

Sorry, didn't show for me~!~

Interested in seeing though if you are able to get them to show ...

That was only the last pic from when I cut and pasted... I don't know why the others can be seen by the Mods and Admins, but not everyone? ???

Ahhh. now we are getting somewhere... hmmm. let me try something else...

Can anyone see this one?

contact patch.jpg

nope I can't see them. When I click on edit your post I can see where you attached them but they don't show up in the post for me. Where are you linking them from?

Okay, I think I know what is going on... I will fix this tonight. So - stand by for pics...

Well,
Here goes. So in the Marine Corps (and I am sure every other service as well) they have changed the rules on motorcycle safety and training - truely for the better in my opinion. But, one of the changes is that they require refresher training (a course), every three years. Another change was the introduction of truely advanced training for sportbikes, specifically.

I'm active duty air force and while they did add a sport bike class we don't have a refresher requirement. I haven't attended the class personally but the one we have going on locally doesn't seem that great from what I have heard.

When I heard you guys were getting Kieth Code to do your schools I can't describe how jealous I was lol.

When I heard you guys were getting Kieth Code to do your schools I can't describe how jealous I was lol.

That's because unlike Air Force leadership, Marine leadership is actually serious about motorcycle training. AF leaders just want to get rid of riders altogether.

I would LOVE to get on Code's bike and do the leaning and braking exercises...would give me a lot better idea of just HOW FAR is TOO FAR....invaluable.

I can only see the last pic you posted.

When is the shotting from the bike class?
In all honesty I think it's a great thing that they have these programs it really shows that they want the riders to actually have some skills and experience so that they can be responsible riders. :thumbsup::bowdown::beerchug:

That's because unlike Air Force leadership, Marine leadership is actually serious about motorcycle training. AF leaders just want to get rid of riders altogether.

+1. The AF guys I teach with at the community college have been trying to get the military sportbike class setup at Nellis. The brass there does not give a rat's a$$ and will not support it. It's a shame since so many returning vets have survived Iraq and Afghanistan only to get killed on a sportbike right here in the good old USA. Glad to see the Marines are all over it.

cool that the marine corp is doing this, although it is needed since the amount of sport rider deaths in the past 5 years. something had to be done for both marines and navy, the navy has elected to do a 1 day coarse, it is a MSF sponsored sport bike rider coarse, although it will only be taught to the Navy, the coarse is okay but it lacks A LOT, sounds like the marines got this one right. I would love to take a 3 day class of riding. the 1 day class the navy does is a half day classroom instructional on basically trying to make riders self aware of there riding habits,(are they a high risk rider?) and try and change mindsets of what safe riding is. and the second half of the day is riding a coarse, mostly set on cornering, nothing over 35-40MPH though.... maybe the navy will invest in this coarse.
I see some people complaining about having to do it. but then I remind them, "hey it's a day off and you get to ride your bike. the navy is paying you to ride your bike. try getting that done in the civilian world." most agree when I put it that way, and some complain just to complain.

Back