astro van as a busa hauler

thapp

Donating Member
Registered
ok here goes i have the chance to buy a 97 chevy astro van that is a cargo
van meaning only two seats and nothing at all in the back how feaseable is it to put 2 bikes in there i know one would fit but how about 2??
has anyone seen this and if anyone has some pics of this that would be a great help

not a lotta height clearance in the back door, gonna be tricky getting in, unless bikes are slammed.
then you'd need a looong ramp to keep from bottoming out, imo

thats been my biggest worry also (no my bikes aren't slammed" really guess i need to get out the tape and start seeing how much room it really takes ???

I did this very thing with a 1993 Astro van when I went to the Bash (15 hour drive) two years ago....

the bike fit like a glove..... I loved it.. I have since blown the motor on that van but it was great the few times I took it... I will post some pics later.

Unless you stagger them, you will need 7ft inside clearance wall to wall. And then your bars will over lap by 3 inches with about 3 to 4 inches of clearance from the bar end to the wall on each side. I used to have a 7ft wide trailer and they just fit.

i had a 85 astro and hauled my harley in it several times. but i would have hated to try to put two bikes in there.

Not to mention you're talking over a thousand pounds of bike before you and your crap get in. :whistle:

I did this very thing with a 1993 Astro van when I went to the Bash (15 hour drive) two years ago....

the bike fit like a glove..... I loved it.. I have since blown the motor on that van but it was great the few times I took it... I will post some pics later.

Cap how many times do they have to tell ya not everything can be driven like a busa!! LOL

This ones from right in your neck of the woods.Back in the day, I used to work for Atchison-Leavenworth Home Health Equip. which used Astro cargo vans. During the five years I worked for them,I had 2 GSXR-750's, an '86 & '87. A '87 GSXR 1100,& a '86 FZ750 They all fit in the van perfect, I made a wheel chock out of a 4' piece of 2 x 12 with 1/4 inch angle iron on the top and bottom edge for strength, placed it verticly against the back of the seat frames, then ran the ties downs to the lower outside of the seat frames as well. This worked great. Those first gsxr's had a very tall profile compared to a busa so it should workout very well. Since I now have an open trailer, that has crossed my mind many times,usually when towing my bike home after getting rained out at the strip- I try to never ride in the rain to keep my bike looking good. Then watching the spray from my truck and others dispose of my best efforts resulting in a all day affair cleaning it up. If possible get one with the V6, the 4 cylinder can just get out of its own way, Good luck:thumbsup:
BTW, 2 is a magic act if at all

Last edited:

Take
some

pictures .

:super:

Hayabusa Safari van.jpg

….not bad, only a 10 yr old thread.....

I had an Astro van, it sucked in the winter, that's about all I remember about it.

Back