Anyone shoot a ruger 10/22?

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
Im buying one and thinking about turning it into a tactical gun just for fun. Pretty cheap to build and to shoot, just wondering if anyone has ever done it.

I've had about ten of them. Very decent gun for the money.
Like a Busa there are more ways to mod one than you can fathom.
They already make one with an oversized hammer forged barrel and a hogue rubber overmolded stock from the factory.
But then again you may as well just buy an AR style rifle dedicated to .22.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a nice gun to plink with...scope or not. Like you mentioned, threre are multiple stocks available...something like the mini 14 / ranch folder. I am not sure, but there may be a stainless heavy barrel vs. the std blue, if you have a preferance. For the fun of it there are gatling kits out there too.

10 22.jpg

Archangel has a kit out to make them look like an ar-15 but butler creek has a nice foldable stock that would suit my needs very well. Anyone ever mod out a 10/22?

The gatling kits are basically a cam or a series of cams that mount on the trigger guard and work in a system. I have seen the 2 + 4 gun set ups...in Ohio they are at the gun shows. You buy the guns, remove the stocks, and bolt up the parts...since it is one round fired for one trigger pull it is legal.

cabelas came up on a search Gatling Gun Kit, 10/22 Accessories, Firearm Components, Shooting : Cabelas.com $399

The butler creek parts seem to be a good quality...that is what I have had in the past

But then again you may as well just buy an AR style rifle dedicated to .22.

I'd go for the 22 cal AR too (around $500 ready to fire), just a neat gun to have...

I have a stainless 10/22 (Walmart $220 I believe is the only place I've seen stainless and about $20 more than blued) I purchased at a gun show a while back.

Shoots great with the stock 10 round clip. I've got 4 aftermarket 50 round magazines that seem to wear out very quickly and don't keep enough force to keep the rounds chambering properly.

My guess is I have purchased an inferior magazine and that brands will make a difference but I don't wish to test and try every magazine brand out there to find a good one. Anyway, beware of the larger mags...you might be digging some frustrations out of the chamber~!~

Very fun gun :thumbsup:

Well for xmas, i bought the boy a savage bolt action .22 with the bull barrel and a high power scope, i thought building this would be fun for the two of us to take out to the desert. He is into those first person shooter games, and im trying to break him away from the xbox so i thought this would be something he would like to do.

Butler Creek speedloader handy, best stick with steel lips, tho'.

speed (Small).jpg

Last edited:
I got one 10/22 that has seen too many mods to start to name, Bullpup set up, fluted barrel, VOR trigger, back to stock, but I have put over 10,000 rounds though it and never a problem with the gun, always the ammo, feed em good and they run good.

I have a SR-22. I put a Leupold scope on it. Kind of a high priced plinker:thumbsup:

There was a write up in the NRA rifleman magazine last month on different manufacturers with tac .22's

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go for the 22 cal AR too (around $500 ready to fire), just a neat gun to have...

I have a stainless 10/22 (Walmart $220 I believe is the only place I've seen stainless and about $20 more than blued) I purchased at a gun show a while back.

Shoots great with the stock 10 round clip. I've got 4 aftermarket 50 round magazines that seem to wear out very quickly and don't keep enough force to keep the rounds chambering properly.

My guess is I have purchased an inferior magazine and that brands will make a difference but I don't wish to test and try every magazine brand out there to find a good one. Anyway, beware of the larger mags...you might be digging some frustrations out of the chamber~!~

Very fun gun :thumbsup:

Butler Creek makes great mags for it. In the 25 rnd ones I've had good luck with both steel lips and polymer lip mag. Your right though the 50 rnders never seem to work well ?

I have the oem 10rd, a 25 rnd, and 2-25 rounds put together to make a flippable 50rd.:thumbsup:

just buy an ar they are pretty cheap and shoot great. Ruger 10/22 I hear is one of the best out there in .22? who knows but that gatlin needs a motor:laugh:

I am with Blanca Busa! I use to work in gun stores and every time I got a 10/22 fixed up someone would offer a price I couldn't refuse. So I would buy another. The one I have now I built about 5 years ago and it not for sale. its good to do trigger work on em to make them target worthy. but there is not a better 22rf on the market for the price. :cheerleader:

Back