Anyone know how to remove front sprocket

krsimulis

Registered
I am trying to replace a front sprocket on a busa, and I am having some serious problems. I got the sprocket cover off, and I have a socket to remove everything thing. But when I turn the bolt, I can't keep the sprocket still to unscrew it. Instead it turns the engine. This is the big, approximately 30mm bolt in front of the sprocket.
thanks in advance,
Kenny

you already removed the allen bolt in the middle of the nut?
I use an air gun otherwise you need help to hold the bike in gear

Put the bike in gear or better yet have the front tire against a wall and have at it (allen bolt out of course). It's a hard one to do, but if you can prevent your bike from moving forward, it can be done.

Ain't usin' an impact wrench and usin' the gear box to hold it a bad thing?
eek2.gif
I'd put the bike in neutral and have someone hold the rear brake to use the chain and brakes to hold it still. I wouldn't like the idea of hammerin' the gears in the gear box with the impact wrench...

Most people that I know leave the bike in nuetral, place a 2X4 wrapped in a towel through the wheel over the swingarm to stop it from moving and then go at it, is that any better?

Most people that I know leave the bike in nuetral, place a 2X4 wrapped in a towel through the wheel over the swingarm to stop it from moving and then go at it, is that any better?
I don't want to take a chance bendin' or otherwise compromisin' the integrity of my wheels like that. Best way is to have someone sit on the bike and hold the rear brake while you break the nut loose. I changed the countershaft sprocket on the 10 last night by myself. I was gonna lay on the floor and hold the rear brake lever down with my left hand while usin' the right to reach up with the air impact driver to break the nut loose. I decided to just stick the driver on the nut and try it to see what happened with the bike in neutral and no brake on. Didn't block the wheel in any way. The impact driver rattled about three times and the nut spun right off.

I think the real trick is usin' an impact wrench. I've read a lot of horror stories from folks who tried it with a breaker bar and went through Hell breakin' the nut loose even with help.

I've heard a several people say that if leave the chain on and the rear sprocket, you can just have someone apply the rear brake and you can remove it with a socket and breaker bar. Otherwise you need to use an impact wrench.

I've heard a several people say that if leave the chain on and the rear sprocket, you can just have someone apply the rear brake and you can remove it with a socket and breaker bar. Otherwise you need to use an impact wrench.
I've also read a lot of comments from people who went through pure hell (4 hour sprocket changes and such... and it only took me about an hour including takin' pics and takin' a phone call during the process, and cleanin' the chain/chain guard.) tryin' to break it loose with a socket and breaker bar.

I've heard of people STANDING on a breaker bar and not gettin' the nut to break. I'm sure it can be done, but from what I hear it's still Hell even with the chain on and the brake clampin' down.
rock.gif

Only one sure fire way...
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101565659 -->

IMG_0488.jpg

It also depends on who and how the last person put the nut on when i got my bike (used) the guy who changed the front sprocket must have been trying to see if he can get the nut to go thru the sprocket cause the impact and breaker bar could not break it loose i luckly was able to get a friend, put a piece of pipe (with padding to keep from marring finish on swingarm and rim)thru the rim,hold the break while i put the breaker bar and a piece of pipe on the breaker bar about 4ft long and when it let go i thought it snapped come to find out it had red lock tite on the threads, same thing happen on the bolts for the dog bones i guess he didn't want them to come off (EVER)

Back