Anyone ever take Soma

have you ever tried therapeutic massage therapy? I hear massage works better than chiropractor adjustments.... I don't know how it applies to scoliosis though :sulk:

ive tried massage in the past but if my back hurts when I go it KILLS me for them to push at all in the sore spot. very tinder

ive tried massage in the past but if my back hurts when I go it KILLS me for them to push at all in the sore spot. very tinder

Have you tried the ultrasound? I've found that it brings down the sore spots pretty well, enough for me to start to see results with the other treatments.

In my first post I talked about muscle strain, then I saw you have scoliosis.
Once you get past the acute phase, you might look into Pilates, to strengthen and lengthen the small muscles that hold the torso straight. That could relieve pressure on the back from the spinal curvature caused by the scoliosis.

And swimming...

Have you tried the ultrasound? I've found that it brings down the sore spots pretty well, enough for me to start to see results with the other treatments.

In my first post I talked about muscle strain, then I saw you have scoliosis.
Once you get past the acute phase, you might look into Pilates, to strengthen and lengthen the small muscles that hold the torso straight. That could relieve pressure on the back from the spinal curvature caused by the scoliosis.

And swimming...

ultrasound? Ins. wouldnt pay for it with my wife with any of our kids so I know they aint gonna pay for it for my back (self employed=very bad ins.)

pilates I guess I could do but I'm more of a weight lifting/ training guy. I've done in the past some crunches on a big ball to strengthen core muscles. But havent done it in about a year. do you sug. any other gym exercises. I have a full olympic gym at my disposal in my basement.

thank you again for your time. :agree:

pilates I guess I could do but I'm more of a weight lifting/ training guy. I've done in the past some crunches on a big ball to strengthen core muscles. But havent done it in about a year. do you sug. any other gym exercises. I have a full olympic gym at my disposal in my basement.

thank you again for your time. :agree:

You are very welcome. I hope you can benefit from the years I've spent dealing with back pain, and maybe it'll be shorter for you! :agree:

I've spent a lot of time in the gym. You couldn't tell it by looking at me now lol. I do have pics from back then, tho.

In my twenties I was cut from working with weights. I loved it. I was also a dancer. What I was not doing, and which I'm paying for now, I didn't exercise all those little muscles along the spine, and in the abdominal floor. I could pull my own body weight on the nautilus overhead pull down machine, but I couldn't swim the length of a lap pool doing the American crawl because those muscles were so weak. Sure, I could lift a case of paper over my head, but those little muscles had nothing to give.

You can do a lot of core strengthening exercises with the ball. The trick with pilates is using proper form. Google it, read it up it. There's tons of books, look through several of them to get some ideas. Once you get into it, I'm sure you will be surprised how pilates can very strenuous exercise. If your insurance covers physical therapy, it will pay for pilates training administered by a licensed physical therapist. Like any other treatment, it needs to be prescribed and billed properly.

There are many pilates exercises that can be done at home with little or no equipment. There are also what physical therapists call Core Stabilization exercises which are very similar/identical to pilates. You can probably find these online. If not, I can scan the ones that I have, and email them to you - but it's not the full set, and may not fit your situation exactly.

And for chrissakes, don't go with narcotic pain pills instead of rehabilitation! That's a good way to get an "old" back very fast. I only take narcotic pain stuff for surgery that requires an anesthesiologist. Then it's gimme the IM demarol, doc! Other than that - I manage without pain meds by taking care of my body.

You can overcome this, and I think you will be surprised how much is in your control.

You are very welcome. I hope you can benefit from the years I've spent dealing with back pain, and maybe it'll be shorter for you! :agree:

I've spent a lot of time in the gym. You couldn't tell it by looking at me now lol. I do have pics from back then, tho.

In my twenties I was cut from working with weights. I loved it. I was also a dancer. What I was not doing, and which I'm paying for now, I didn't exercise all those little muscles along the spine, and in the abdominal floor. I could pull my own body weight on the nautilus overhead pull down machine, but I couldn't swim the length of a lap pool doing the American crawl because those muscles were so weak. Sure, I could lift a case of paper over my head, but those little muscles had nothing to give.

You can do a lot of core strengthening exercises with the ball. The trick with pilates is using proper form. Google it, read it up it. There's tons of books, look through several of them to get some ideas. Once you get into it, I'm sure you will be surprised how pilates can very strenuous exercise. If your insurance covers physical therapy, it will pay for pilates training administered by a licensed physical therapist. Like any other treatment, it needs to be prescribed and billed properly.

There are many pilates exercises that can be done at home with little or no equipment. There are also what physical therapists call Core Stabilization exercises which are very similar/identical to pilates. You can probably find these online. If not, I can scan the ones that I have, and email them to you - but it's not the full set, and may not fit your situation exactly.

And for chrissakes, don't go with narcotic pain pills instead of rehabilitation! That's a good way to get an "old" back very fast. I only take narcotic pain stuff for surgery that requires an anesthesiologist. Then it's gimme the IM demarol, doc! Other than that - I manage without pain meds by taking care of my body.

You can overcome this, and I think you will be surprised how much is in your control.

I agree. Pain meds only mask the damage and can cause you to injure worse cause you dont feel the pain your body is warning you to stop. (boy that reads wierd)

anyway, I'll look that up and go back to my core muscle excercises.

but the pain meds. sure sound like a nice nights sleep though:cheerleader:

Sleep is def good... don't know about the quality of sleep with narcotics...

Try the valerian root! Can be had for about $6... always puts me out. :dunno:

Sleep is def good... don't know about the quality of sleep with narcotics...

Try the valerian root! Can be had for about $6... always puts me out. :dunno:

I've seen it at the store when getting my fish oil and Glucosomine stuff.I'll give it a try. I always question herbal suppliments that their really gonna do what they say. Unless I hear first hand from someone that it works.

I've seen it at the store when getting my fish oil and Glucosomine stuff.I'll give it a try. I always question herbal suppliments that their really gonna do what they say. Unless I hear first hand from someone that it works.

Word of warning - it smells and tastes foul.
It's got the "bitter herb" thing going on.

I just hold my nose and swallow.

Back