Any advice on HealTech FI controller for Gen II

There is a shop here in MD sells the same product just with a different name....Shawn at Cycle Connections ( tuner ) said it works great. I don't know anyone with this set up but did see the program on the PC at Shawns shop and it looked pretty cool. What are your thoughts on this set up? Is your bike running great now?

i want to get one for my 01. i like how it controls all 8 injectors not just 4 like the pc's. looks pretty simple to install. let us know what you think about it:thumbsup:

I'm pretty satisfied with it. I can't tell if I gained any hp but it surely smooth out the power delivery.

This is what are local shop is selling...same thing different name. Fast Card

I don't think it's the same. You can't adjust the FI tuner pro with a screw driver, all adjustment are via laptop no buttons. Another thing is you can deduct fuel with the FI tuner pro unlike any other system.

I don't think it's the same. You can't adjust the FI tuner pro with a screw driver, all adjustment are via laptop no buttons. Another thing is you can deduct fuel with the FI tuner pro unlike any other system.

You're correct. Comparing the FI Tuner Pro to their product is like comparing apples to lug nuts.

The "Fast Card" is a system which is comparable to the TFI or "Juice Box" system. It's little more than an electronic update to adjusting carb jets on an older bike. Yes, you can dump in lots of fuel, but it's like using a sledgehammer approach to tuning.

Gents, I don't want to start a big tech war, but I need to point out a couple things;

1) The FIT works directly through the ECU expansion port, so it takes into account LOAD and GEAR POSITION and it still adjusts at 11 throttle positions and at 500RPM increments.

2) The FIT, because it works directly via the ECU, is the most "native" of all fuel injection controllers on the market. While the ECU can only be tweaked to a certain degree (which is why the FIT is not for crazy fuel changes like turbocharging), altering the air-fuel-ratio via ECU-native module is the most optimal possible method. The ECU peaks at a +30% fuel flow (where the "commander" peaks at +50% (their unit shows +100% but only controls half the injectors). However, we've already had a customer with a 2009 GSXR1000 race bike (WITH racing cams, full race exhaust system, race filter, cyliner head and port cleaning, XTRE and FIT) with NO problem of running into this theoretical limitation in 99% of the map adjustment range.

3) The FIT can add AND SUBTRACT fuel. This is WAY too often overlooked, even by those "commander" guys. All bikes (either with stock or racing exhaust) require fuel subtraction at many places of the fuel map. (You don’t have to believe this, just put your bike on a dyno and get the AFR logged at various load conditions.) Without the ability to subtract fuel, the engine will not get the optimal AF ratio.
Think about a fuel curve on an OEM bike. It has bumps and dips. You want to bring up the dips (any map-based FI controller does that) but leaving the bumps means the bike will still feel like it has dips and/or flat spots. Having those bumps/ridges don't give you any extra peak power, so bringing those down to make a nice smooth AFR curve is the BEST possible way to tune a bike. Even the Fast Card info admits this, although they claim it's only 20% of the bikes. If you look at several dyno maps for the FI Tuner Pro, you'll notice that probably 75-80% of the bikes DO need some amount of fuel reduction at certain TPS/RPM. We're not talking about leaning out the bike. That's just more marketing hyperbole from competitors. We're talking about PERFECTING the fuel curve.

4) This Fast Card is not a map-based module and only allows adjustment for 3 ranges (Low, Mid and High) like adjust carbs. You can make certain areas better but hurt other areas at the same time. Fuel injectors are not like carbs. The AFR changes rapidly depending on actual TPS/RPM and only a true map-based module can fix all ranges. (Again, if you put your bike on dyno and look at the AFR charts you’ll understand that it is just not possible to get the fueling right by adjust 3 fuel settings on a module.)

5) I'd like to remind everyone that serious dyno tuning shops and pro race teams are not using entry-level "load based" EFI controllers (since map based FI tuning modules already take load and gear into account via the ECU).

Now we come to price, guys.

HealTech Electronics has priced the unit at USD $230. While it does not do turbo or NOS, and if you want a quick shifter you'd have to add a standalone kit (like Bazzaz QS4), the HealTech FI Tuner Pro does everything else BETTER for for $110-130 less retail price than the PC3/5.

We have been asked if HealTech Electronics plans on releasing an autotune add on module. They do not. They believe that autotune systems ($260-380 from Dynojet, $300 from Bazzaz) do NOT live up to the marketing hype and you'll spend MORE money for LESS optimal tuning compared to using a dyno center professional. Yes, we understand that custom maps have to be redone if you make major changes. However, HealTech STILL believes this is better than the autotune add on systems.

Oh...and with HealTech Electronics having built such a great reputation for product quality over the past 8 years in the USA market, they stand behind the FI Tuner Pro with a 5 year TRANSFERABLE warranty (PC3/5 is 1 year NON-transferable). Riders worldwide already love the SpeedoHealer, XTRE, GIPRO, and OBD Tool from HealTech Electronics...here is something new we truly believe you'll find to be a top notch product.

You're correct. Comparing the FI Tuner Pro to their product is like comparing apples to lug nuts.

The "Fast Card" is a system which is comparable to the TFI or "Juice Box" system. It's little more than an electronic update to adjusting carb jets on an older bike. Yes, you can dump in lots of fuel, but it's like using a sledgehammer approach to tuning.

Gents, I don't want to start a big tech war, but I need to point out a couple things;

1) The FIT works directly through the ECU expansion port, so it takes into account LOAD and GEAR POSITION and it still adjusts at 11 throttle positions and at 500RPM increments.

2) The FIT, because it works directly via the ECU, is the most "native" of all fuel injection controllers on the market. While the ECU can only be tweaked to a certain degree (which is why the FIT is not for crazy fuel changes like turbocharging), altering the air-fuel-ratio via ECU-native module is the most optimal possible method. The ECU peaks at a +30% fuel flow (where the "commander" peaks at +50% (their unit shows +100% but only controls half the injectors). However, we've already had a customer with a 2009 GSXR1000 race bike (WITH racing cams, full race exhaust system, race filter, cyliner head and port cleaning, XTRE and FIT) with NO problem of running into this theoretical limitation in 99% of the map adjustment range.

3) The FIT can add AND SUBTRACT fuel. This is WAY too often overlooked, even by those "commander" guys. All bikes (either with stock or racing exhaust) require fuel subtraction at many places of the fuel map. (You don’t have to believe this, just put your bike on a dyno and get the AFR logged at various load conditions.) Without the ability to subtract fuel, the engine will not get the optimal AF ratio.
Think about a fuel curve on an OEM bike. It has bumps and dips. You want to bring up the dips (any map-based FI controller does that) but leaving the bumps means the bike will still feel like it has dips and/or flat spots. Having those bumps/ridges don't give you any extra peak power, so bringing those down to make a nice smooth AFR curve is the BEST possible way to tune a bike. Even the Fast Card info admits this, although they claim it's only 20% of the bikes. If you look at several dyno maps for the FI Tuner Pro, you'll notice that probably 75-80% of the bikes DO need some amount of fuel reduction at certain TPS/RPM. We're not talking about leaning out the bike. That's just more marketing hyperbole from competitors. We're talking about PERFECTING the fuel curve.

4) This Fast Card is not a map-based module and only allows adjustment for 3 ranges (Low, Mid and High) like adjust carbs. You can make certain areas better but hurt other areas at the same time. Fuel injectors are not like carbs. The AFR changes rapidly depending on actual TPS/RPM and only a true map-based module can fix all ranges. (Again, if you put your bike on dyno and look at the AFR charts you’ll understand that it is just not possible to get the fueling right by adjust 3 fuel settings on a module.)

5) I'd like to remind everyone that serious dyno tuning shops and pro race teams are not using entry-level "load based" EFI controllers (since map based FI tuning modules already take load and gear into account via the ECU).

Now we come to price, guys.

HealTech Electronics has priced the unit at USD $230. While it does not do turbo or NOS, and if you want a quick shifter you'd have to add a standalone kit (like Bazzaz QS4), the HealTech FI Tuner Pro does everything else BETTER for for $110-130 less retail price than the PC3/5.

We have been asked if HealTech Electronics plans on releasing an autotune add on module. They do not. They believe that autotune systems ($260-380 from Dynojet, $300 from Bazzaz) do NOT live up to the marketing hype and you'll spend MORE money for LESS optimal tuning compared to using a dyno center professional. Yes, we understand that custom maps have to be redone if you make major changes. However, HealTech STILL believes this is better than the autotune add on systems.

Oh...and with HealTech Electronics having built such a great reputation for product quality over the past 8 years in the USA market, they stand behind the FI Tuner Pro with a 5 year TRANSFERABLE warranty (PC3/5 is 1 year NON-transferable). Riders worldwide already love the SpeedoHealer, XTRE, GIPRO, and OBD Tool from HealTech Electronics...here is something new we truly believe you'll find to be a top notch product.

Thank you. Awesome write up, again I'm happy with the results.

im sold. I dig the ATRE I bought and that's what got me thinking about other products from heal tech (mainly the speedo healer) but the fi tuner pro i thought was neat, different features than what else is out there. I was on the fence about it till I got some feedback on the matter. I gotta have it :thumbsup:

let see.. you can buy a bunch of piggyback stuff or just go with the ecu editor and be rid of all the ancillary boxes and wires. I hard to believe that after all these years people are still buying piggyback stuff for the busa.

let see.. you can buy a bunch of piggyback stuff or just go with the ecu editor and be rid of all the ancillary boxes and wires. I hard to believe that after all these years people are still buying piggyback stuff for the busa.

Unfortunatly not everyone has resources to get the ECU editor. Ive realized that allot of good Tuners in my area are not willing to try it and the ones that are charge an extra fee to use it. I have to not only drive 3 hrs to get tuned but then pay an extra 100 bucks or more? JMHO

I agree 100% that the ECU editor is amazing and far better then any piggyback system out there but it just isnt an option for some ppl.

We had the ECU Editor question on the other Hayabusa forum. Here is our reply:

1) Since they are reflashing the ECU, you have the ability to seriously damage the ECU, and you'd be voiding your warranty. The FIT CANNOT damage the ECU even if misused. As soon as the FIT is disconnected, the ECU works like stock.

2) Ease of programming for fuel curve/AFR: Their kit can be mapped too, but we believe it's SERIOUSLY cumbersome and limited compared to a dyno tuner using the FIT (or PC or Z-FI for that matter). With their kit, every time you change a cell in the fuel map, you have to shut off the engine and flash the ECU (takes minutes). With the FIT, you change a fuel cell and it is immediately effective, the engine does not have to be shut down. So for AFR tuning for your fuel curve, I believe the FIT to be night-and-day superior.

The FI Tuner Pro is risk-free, simple to install and very easy to use. Does one thing extremely well, gets the fueling right. In that regard, the map-based AFR tuners (FIT, PC, Z-FI) are like a big K-BAR knife. VERY good at what we do but built for a specific purpose. The ECUeditor is like the swiss army knife with 85 attachments. More features for sure, and a bit cheaper, but doesn't do the thing WE DO nearly as well. And if slightly misused, can close on your hand and chop off your fingers. Sort of a good parallel...

I don't wish to argue the pro's and con's with you. I understand you've got a product on the market and functions as intended. Merit can be given to all of the products on the market or they wouldn't sell to the consumer. Damage can be caused by any product that's misused.

It's unfortunate that some tuners/businesses with a dyno haven't taken up the effort to learn and tune using the ecu editor. This ignorance limits the popularity for various tuning products.

Best of success with your product. :beerchug:
We had the ECU Editor question on the other Hayabusa forum. Here is our reply:

1) Since they are reflashing the ECU, you have the ability to seriously damage the ECU, and you'd be voiding your warranty. The FIT CANNOT damage the ECU even if misused. As soon as the FIT is disconnected, the ECU works like stock.

2) Ease of programming for fuel curve/AFR: Their kit can be mapped too, but we believe it's SERIOUSLY cumbersome and limited compared to a dyno tuner using the FIT (or PC or Z-FI for that matter). With their kit, every time you change a cell in the fuel map, you have to shut off the engine and flash the ECU (takes minutes). With the FIT, you change a fuel cell and it is immediately effective, the engine does not have to be shut down. So for AFR tuning for your fuel curve, I believe the FIT to be night-and-day superior.

The FI Tuner Pro is risk-free, simple to install and very easy to use. Does one thing extremely well, gets the fueling right. In that regard, the map-based AFR tuners (FIT, PC, Z-FI) are like a big K-BAR knife. VERY good at what we do but built for a specific purpose. The ECUeditor is like the swiss army knife with 85 attachments. More features for sure, and a bit cheaper, but doesn't do the thing WE DO nearly as well. And if slightly misused, can close on your hand and chop off your fingers. Sort of a good parallel...

Back