another zx14 recall

dunno.gif

"The rear suspension can collapse when a crossmember separates from the frame. Failure of the frame could result in the rear of the motorcycle collapsing creating the possibility of a crash resulting in injury or death."

man, I HATE that when that happens

I can't say that I didn't tell people the frames were separating. No one wanted to listen.

This was the same recall we saw last year about the frame/rear suspension joint breaking wasn't it?
repost.gif

2 recalls for the same issue? WOW... that will bring the wrath of DOT for sure... glad I am not on the engineering team that put that deal out..

New Recall Info: (appears to be an addendum to the previous issue with corrective action added?)
_
Manufacturer: Kawasaki
Model Year: 2006, 2007
Models affected: ZX14
NHTSA Campaign Number: 08V222000
Potential Units Affected: Not Specified
Problem: Kawasaki is recalling certain model year 2006-2007 "ËœNinja' ZX14 motorcycles. The rear suspension can collapse when a crossmember separates from the frame. Failure of the frame could result in the rear of the motorcycle collapsing creating the possibility of a crash resulting in injury or death.

Corrective Action: Dealers will check the torque of the engine mount adjusting collars and inspect and possibly replace the frame if necessary. The recall was expected to begin during May 2008. Owners may contact Kawasaki at 1-866-802-9381.

Previous recall:
_
WORLDWIDE - Kawasaki ZX14The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced today that Kawasaki Motors Corp. USA issued a recall notice on its ZX14 motorcycles due to a faulty rear suspension.

Make / Model/ Build Years: KAWASAKI / ZX14 / 2006-2007
Manufacturer : KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.
Mfr's Report Date : MAY 12, 2008
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08V222000 PE08021
NHTSA Action Number: PE08021

Component: STRUCTURE

Potential Number Of Units Affected :

Summary: KAWASAKI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MY 2006-2007 ZX14 MOTORCYCLES. THE REAR SUSPENSION CAN COLLAPSE WHEN A CROSSMEMBER SEPARATES FROM THE FRAME.

Consequence: THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A CONSEQUENCE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN.

Remedy: THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A REMEDY OR OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN.

I gotta admit.... designing, building and mass producing a super high quality, powerful yet lightweight motorcycle like the Hayabusa OR the ZX14 has GOT to be very tough to do. I can't pick on KAW since they have a long and prestigious career in building all kinds of amazing things. And for helping advance progress of our toys

The Bus had it's share of teething pains at the start of things. I think Kawi will do right by thier reputation and resolve this. May set the marketing back a a few notches for awhile. Doesn't help that the new Busa (08) has been apparently troublefree in comparison. But still I think the 14 is a valid bike with a valid place in the ring.

Wrong the 08 Busa has a issue right now. Not as major but there is a recall as well. Last week taking wife's bike for 1st service they stated the 08 has a issue with the wiring of the ignition switch being wired backwards and the possiblity that you would not be able to start it. I was told about this last week at our dealership in columbus, ohio. Suzuki has informed them about this and have removed all the extra ignition switches they had. So there is something going on right now. I asked them if it affected to 07 or later and they stated no...only the 08 busa.

http://www.busanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2354

Read this off another forum

Dear Suzuki Dealer
I regret to inform you that
Suzuki has determined that a problem affecting motor vehicle
safety exists on certain 2008 GSX1300RK8 model motorcycles. The ignition switch lead
wire may be improperly routed resulting in loss of electrical power and stalling of the
engine. As a result, the affected units cannot be sold at retail until corrective action is
completed.
A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) will be issued in the near future detailing the
necessary steps to correct this situation.
All part number and ordering information will be contained in the Technical Service
Bulletin. The parts will be available for immediate ordering when the TSB is released.
We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. We regard our customer's safety to be of
the utmost importance. It is for these reasons that we have made this difficult decision.
If you have any questions, please contact American Suzuki.

Mel Harris

Not sure if this is the same, but a couple of nights ago I had a friend messup
his suspension on his zx14 the white/red LE version. He does not where gear and is about
300lbs+ he ran over a 4x4 at 100 mph that launched the bike in the air for a distance of
6 feet maybe 3 feet or more high? well the front forks and rear shocks are blown. so luckily
he did not spill. the bike looks SLAMMED now to the point where the kickstand barely holds it upright
I have not updated with him yet though.

Dam I came real close to buying the 07 zx14 last year, they couldnt get the brand new bike started so I went and bought a busa.
thumb_up.gif

his suspension on his zx14 the white/red LE version. He does not where gear and is about
300lbs+ he ran over a 4x4 at 100 mph that launched the bike in the air for a distance of
6 feet maybe 3 feet or more high? well the front forks and rear shocks are blown. so luckily
he did not spill. the bike looks SLAMMED now to the point where the kickstand barely holds it upright
Ran over a 4x4 at 100 mph and is still alive?
wowold.gif
I think that boy needs to go to church soon and thank God personally. Can't blame the bike for failing on that one, either.

OUCH!! did he rattle some teeth loose too

Back