Another reason the inexperianced should stay away.

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
OK, I cannot keep it to myself any longer, it's just been eating away at me.  (No No Lilah is unscathed, SHEER LUCK but unscathed)

Over this last weekend I nearly went down twice.  I don't mean the little "WHOOPS" kinda things I mean, the SLOW motion, watching it all go wrong in freeeze frame... I mean Hurtling into the Concrete lined 90 degree lefthander under the Veterans Expressway and hitting that 25MPH posted (40-50mph Reality) corner at well over 70.   Then again Sunday, another left hander out on my playground that is normally about a 65 hit at about 90 or so...  Both speeds I am guessing at because believe me, the one place I was not looking was down.

Both times are completely my doing, and both Times Lilah stepped in and totally saved me from my own stupidity.  

Simply put I wanted to be in front of the BMW 7series going into that Left Hand corner on Friday.  I wasn't looking at my speed and as you all know the Busa is deceptive.  I pass the BMW on the inside, pull back to the outside lane only to realize I am carrying WAY to much speed. I couldn't get on the brakes real hard because I was not sure how far behind me Beemer Boy was and I didn't want to get tagged, then  there just was not any room left, it was time to get her over...  So did what I have read about and have done over the years. TRUST the Bike, I trail braked as deep as I could until the front started to push, then just held on and went for the freaking ride.  Everything worked out just fine, a little sliding and a wierd rolling over the edge feeling, and I was through.  Once I pulled the seat outta my ass I was feeling OK about it, I was thinking lesson learned...  Remember how much speed the Busa Builds, keep it in check.

Then Sunday, same damn thing minus the concrete wall, I mean Exact same thing, just passed a car heading towards a left hander, hard on the brakes this time, I still underestimated the amount of speed I carried into the corner, SR's are pinging, everything goes into SLO-Motion, I got my ass outta the seat and over to the left and just rode her into the corner like a Monkey strapped to a bottle-rocket.  Totally relying on the bike to forgive my stupidity...Chances are the folks behind me had no Idea I was just along for the ride, but I knew...  Both times the Busa Suckered me in, and yes both times she turned right around and saved my ass, but I have been riding these roads a lot for the last year and have been on two wheels for a good 12 years, and here I am over my head before you can say OH Sh^t. TWICE, in one weekend...

WTF?  New pipe songs suckering me in?  Was it spring time Frogginess acting up?  No, I think it was just momentary lack of attention.  I got so wrapped up in wanting the cages out of my way so they wouldn't spoil my corner that I forgot to think about the velocity...

So here's the lesson learned.  I firmly believe that a less experianced rider would have panicked and augered it in on both occasions.  I mean time slowed way down, my SR's tried to fix me on the outside edge, I knew I was way over my head, and all I could say (And I was) was "Fug Fug Fug", as I held on like a crackhead to his rock, simply reacting, not in control, just along for the ride, wondering if I should have checked my tire pressures that morning...  Totally sucked...

Just a thought, flame on if you feel the need, but I thought it was worth mentioning, that even with a lot of experiance, we can still get in over our heads in a hurry on the Busa especially, and it comes down to that same experiance to get us out of it.   Well that, Fresh rubber, and a bike possessed...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079548369 -->

I'm sure it's happened to about everybody at one time or other... strange that you did it twice in that short of a time though..

I'm sure you'll be watchin much more closely now so probably nothing to worry about.

sweet... Welcome to the PUCKER ZONE

tounge.gif

Goes without saying, but I'm glad you pulled it out, both times! Coulda had a much different ending. Keep the faith, man!!

Banner1.jpg

Glad you pulled it out and thanks for sharing ... just might save one of us from entering that danger zone with different results.

DJ

Glad Suzuki saved yer ass, Rev. No flames from me. I almost fugged the pooch this weekend, too.
blush.gif

Went out for a while Sunday. Hit an all too familiar set of loose S-curves much faster than I normally take them. There goes that Springtime Frogginess Rev was talkin' about.
wink.gif
I was goin' a little wider than I usually do because of my higher speed and got onto the damp (on a bridge crossing a lake) double yellow center line just before I pulled outta my right lean and flicked over to lean left. The ass end slid out on me until it grabbed on the other side of the painted line. I thought I was goin' down, but it just wiggled a little when it caught. I flicked it over and handled the second half of the S without any problems. Well, my ass did take a bite out of my underwear, but that's cheap damage considering my speed and what would have happened if I had smacked the guard rail in that curve at the speed I was runnin'. Don't know how fast I was goin', but I usually take that particular "S" at 70-80 and I was smokin' along quite a bit faster than that!
eek2.gif
drooling3.gif

My point? Not only can the busa get us into trouble quicker than we think, unexpected road conditions and other similar things can as well. I figure the ass would have slid on me even if I rode a 600 that day. Be careful folks!

Pucker Zone is right, Just some pretty humbling stuff...

Yeah EGO, I think I have been placed on notice... I'll be going out for a long ride with Raider this weekend so maybe putting me behind the guys with more experiance will pay dividends. I mean the rest of the ride Sunday was still attacking the twisties, and letting my busa stretch her legs, but that little seed has been implanted now... That you sure you know what the hell your doing seed...

It's all good now, I am still out there riding like I usually do but you can bet I won't be passing and braking late into any corners for awhile...

Dam...it brings back memories of my crash back in December hearing you guys talk about the near miss you all had. I also went into a curve a lot faster than usual on a twistie road that I have ridden on many times before. This time I went into the curve faster than usual and I would have been ok if it were not for the gravel on the road that took my home advantage away. Dam...my collar bone still hurst. Ouch!  
face7.gif

<!--EDIT|flyboy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079551110 -->

You really want to know the wierdest part? Friday's moment if it had gone tits up would have left me FUBAR, but the whole time, the only thought I really had was of Lilah, I was Fugging bound and determined not to let her hit the ground. I mean about 4 feet from the outside edge of that turn is concrete wall...and all I was thinking about was my bike, I was PISSED there was no way I wanted to have to post the dreaded after pics if I lost it...

Just thought that was funny, to hell with me, keep my bike safe... Must be love....

I've come close a few times and this is my 6th bike...... I just have so much respect for the bike..... as soon as I get a little too cocky, its tits up for me as well prolly.

You really want to know the wierdest part?  Friday's moment if it had gone tits up would have left me FUBAR, but the whole time, the only thought I really had was of Lilah, I was Fugging bound and determined not to let her hit the ground.  I mean about 4 feet from the outside edge of that turn is concrete wall...and all I was thinking about was my bike, I was PISSED there was no way I wanted to have to post the dreaded after pics if I lost it...

Just thought that was funny, to hell with me, keep my bike safe...  Must be love....
I'm curious, Rev. You ever been down hard on a bike? I ask because I personally have not and I think the same way when I get in over my head. It just crossed my mind that those who have bit hard might think differently about things in the same situation.
rock.gif

A poll may be in order... I think the results might be interesting.

You really want to know the wierdest part?  Friday's moment if it had gone tits up would have left me FUBAR, but the whole time, the only thought I really had was of Lilah, I was Fugging bound and determined not to let her hit the ground.  I mean about 4 feet from the outside edge of that turn is concrete wall...and all I was thinking about was my bike, I was PISSED there was no way I wanted to have to post the dreaded after pics if I lost it...

Just thought that was funny, to hell with me, keep my bike safe...  Must be love....
All right clear your head next time. don't need you fogged up and down...
wow.gif

I'm curious, Rev. You ever been down hard on a bike? I ask because I personally have not and I think the same way when I get in over my head. It just crossed my mind that those who have bit hard might think differently about things in the same situation.
rock.gif

A poll may be in order... I think the results might be interesting.
Well (KNOCKING ON WOOD) Never on the street.  I have been close several times, But never down on the street.  However, I have a lively collection of broken bones and scars from the dirt bikes growing up.  A couple of those accidents were on the street.  But not a street bike if you get my meaning.

But Yeah, I have been down hard enough to dislocate an ankle, break an Ulna, fracture a tibia, a few fingers, and a concusion or two.  

I just had not had ANY moments on the Busa yet involving corners.  I had one high speed mini slapper out in the same playground but other than that, nothing worth mentioning...  

I don't think this is a unique event by any means, it was just the manner in which it took place that just sort of reminded me that this is a bike that you have to respect and pay attention to.  You cannot just thrash around on it like a CBR 600F4, it will lead into a mistake or error in judgement before you can say WTF?    Mostly it was a huge reminder that this thing can write checks I am not capable of cashing...  even after 12 years...

f.y.i.
everyone who rides a bike will go down at least once in their life.
I've been down 3 times, never once my fault, i've saved myself from hairline close azz drops about 500 times.

BUT, i have never laid down my BUSA. (crosses fingers, knocks on wood, throws salt over shoulder, beats up some pigs feet. LOL)

It's something racers do a lot of to control their line in mid corner, generally it's a rear brake technique but applies to the front as well. Only the experianced, or suicidal really need to try it, if you get it wrong you WILL go down...

Oh in My case? Me? It's what happens when your shittin yourself with your hair on fire, still going to fast as you enter the corner so you are still using a fair bit of front brake to hopefully bleed off enough speed to safely negotiate the turn regardless of how tightly puckered I am and instinct takes over... The Busa doesn't like it. If you want to practice try just barely nudging your rear brake as you are coming into or out of a corner, it can be a helpful tool to reduce wheelspin while maintaining your RPMS on corner exits as well, but is most useful in tightening your line.... But Seeing as how we are on Busa's that is sorta non-essential.

Not an advised technique though. I have been doing it for years, often carrying the front brake through a corner almost to the apex, though usually as a result of getting things horribly wrong...

Yeah ... I know that feeling. A couple weekends ago riding some nice curving roads somewhere between Jacksonville and Daytona with a few friends, I entered the Pucker Zone. It was a fairly tight left hander with short line of sight and I entered to fast for conditions. By the time I saw the dirt and gravel laying right on my line it was way to late to lean further inside so I decided to straighten 'er out, brake until I ran out of road, and take my chances going off road. Worked out fine in the end, did a little off road then pulled right back on and kept on going, but for one short instant I NEW I was going down. If there hadn't of been enough clear space off the side of the road, and usually there isn't, I would definitely be looking for good deals on new Busa parts.

I hear ya, I did that once. But not since. I have went down on the street once, and got pretty messed up, I recieved a fractured vertebrate (L5), broke my right shoulder socket, and a laberal tear on the left shoulder. That was about 7 months ago. After I got better I was riding my girls bike and (F2) and that is exactly how I was thinking when I was riding (I was more worried about the bike than me?? and that was on a 94 salvage title F2).

Yeah, I was getting on the freeway yesterday, and I allways check out the traffic on the freeway as I merge, I saw this black Vette that I wanted to get in front of, the on ramp is long and has this sweet curve to it.

Anyway I nailed it and hit the curve, began my lean, well I was sitting firmly on the seat, I wasnt hanging off as I do if I am going into a corner hot. I didnt think I ws going in that hot, all of a sudden I notice my pretty good lean wasnt low enough, gravity was pulling me out and into the slow lane, I looked at my mph and noticed I was doing 120 indicated, I was still on the onramp, hadnt even hit the slow lane yet. I lifted and hung just a little and pulled it back.

I mean I was well ahead of the Vette and any other traffic by that time, so wouldnt have been no biggy if I would have drifted, nothing there to hit, I just still like to stay in my lane.

So I know the feeling Rev, I kind of thought to myself.. ok, stop taking chances...

But damn!! it is just too dificult sometimes not to play.

And when you play, you will almost ALLWAYS push that envelope. and sometimes you will tear it..

Glad you are ok Rev

Back