Another Dang HID Problem...

mrnyc01

Registered
Ok I will not get into long stories... here is the deal.

! year ago added HID's with Delay. The delay everyone uses on here. Worked fine.. no issues. At work the other day, the HID just stopped working. Today I changed the buld. No luck. Changed the ballast (yes took the darn nose off) no luck with that. Checked all wires. Nothing came undone. Even went so far as test with my "regular bulb". It worked fine. So now the problem in within the ballast to bulb area. Thought about battery.. charged. It charged for about an hour and is now green. Tried HID no luck.

Why is it that it works with hologen bulb, but not either ballast. And the second ballast I tried was new. I bought car set so I would have a back up bulb and ballast. It seems to be a power problem but the battery is charged.

HELP!

Either a lose connection or an open or short circuit somewhere. Pull out the multimeter and go to town. :rulez:

+1
I've had my HIDs in for almost a yr with zero problems . No delay .

For some reason some Gen I's need a delay and the Gen II's don't. I don't know if it's the Manufacturer of the ballast or not. I don't have one either and just had my low beam ballast blow after almost 2.5 years.

Sorry for the delay in response .
Have you tried to remove the delay ?
To my knowledge it won't hurt anything ?

Run a set of wires right to the ballast from the battery and see if it will light up.

I know this is a silly question, but will the ballast fire if you test directly on batt? The reason I ask this is because I seem to remember that the ballast needs some type of extra power after the vehicle/bike starts. It's foggy to me now.. but just checking.

No, the ballast will fire unless the battery is real low. Do you have 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs? if so try hooking up one ballast and test with both bulbs and then the other ballast with both bulbs..

No, the ballast will fire unless the battery is real low. Do you have 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs? if so try hooking up one ballast and test with both bulbs and then the other ballast with both bulbs..

Yep did that. I even had the tender hooked up just to make sure it was fully charged. The tender was green. HID did not come on. The only thing I can imagine is this:

Battery is going bad and don't have enough power for the ballast. But I did have it on the tender so I assume the power should have been there.

Or

The second ballast or bulb that I was not using was bad from the start. I just did not know it before. So now they are both bad.

This crap is not rocket science. I don't think I am missing something. At this point I can only put my reg bulb back in. I will be going thru withdrawl because once you go HID, you never want to go back. At some point over the next month or so I will get another HID and have to start this shyt all over again to install a new one (removing the nose).

Sucks.

Back