another air box mod ???

by the way guys, thanks again this thread in turning very informative from both ends of the spectrum.I've recieved more info here on this thread about the air box mod than all the other threads combined
bowdown.gif

and im a little confused..so is a lg. mod. USELESS until 130 mph.
repost.gif

OOOO...quick edit....what about those scoops?
rock.gif
biggrin.gif
In the common engines ...I'd guess to 1450 cc or so the large airbox mod could (likely) hurt the bike. The airbox is part of the whole tune. It a way it is the extension of the port. Its volume has been designed to provide a resonance hmmm "¦call it a pulse that complements the firing order and engine air needs.  The flapper in it is to try to make it the best of both worlds but is a compromise in some ways.  They way I understand it (from theory, articles, and reading busa specific results) when you put full exhaust on one it improves the airflow to the point the flapper becomes a slight restriction.  It is there to increase lower rpm torque. Removing it cuts a bit on the bottom but adds to the top. From the results I have seen the airbox mod in combination with a full exhaust results in the  torque being about the same at the bottom range as when it was all stock. You sure don't want to mod one with stock exhaust.  

There are a few bikes that even change the length of the ram tubes at different rpms to further tune the bikes at different rpm ranges on the fly.

I can point you to a couple of article on ram air compensation that is programmed in the ECU if interested. It is pretty deep reading. I sure don't understand it 100% but there is some good info"¦.amazing info of the things that are programmed in.
sorry prof. just saw this! yes I would love to TRY and understand that info. If you have a hard time understanding all of it, I know I will. But if I can get half the info out of it I'll be happy
hello.gif

thanks again professor

Wow... let's keep this civil guys.

Goes9s....before you discount the info MM is giving do a search on his posts using the search icon by his name. The man is a wealth of knowledge on this bike.

The small air box mod is to remove the restriction and improve the internal flow of the air box. Ram air is not a really player in the mod for 95% of us. If I remember some of DaveOs posts, the ram air does no come into effect on the busa until 130 or so. For me, that may be a couple hundred feet at the track. I hope to log the airbox vacuum/pressure this year to get some data, then maybe seal the duct up a bit and try to get some real numbers.
Thanks Professor - It was civil until you try and challenge someones knowledge or opinion then someone gets theirr little but hurt.   A lot of words is not a wealth of knowledge and so far Dave hasn't proven one thing in fact, just theory in his own opinion and if he never chimed in on my threads again I would be a happier person in life.

And Dave, I referred to boost as that is as far as I thought you could understand!  You want to compare brain pans bring it on!  Ooh millibars how technical...
bowdown.gif

You remind me of something that goes on quite frequently here where I live.  People keep going to this one shop who has this big reputation for motor swaps but low and behold they end up coming back to my friends shop (another person with a mechanical engineering degree) to finish the job correctly.  Hmmm - education is power!  Why do you think they call it HIGHER learning.
Keeping it civil means to stop throwing jabs"¦.please. Like Big Ed said there is some great info here, lets not dilute it with personality conflicts.

DaveO refers to Dave Owen, not MountainMotor. He owns his share of normally aspirated Land Speed records. I believe his Maxton Mile record still stands at about 220mph.

While some of the theory crosses over to the automotive world some of it is pretty unique to motorcycle, at least from a production standpoint. We are talking about out of the box production engine that are making close to 2hp per cubic inch"¦. At the rear wheel. Modded pushing 2.5hp per ci. You pretty much have to start looking toward formula 1 technology in the car world to start finding competing methods.

99 Busa

Here are a few links
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=117561.0
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=125979.0
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=124338.0
http://www.bikeland.org/board....4107032

The links MountainMotor posted above are really good as well. And written where more of us can understand it.

Neat stuff in out factory ECU.... The circuit controlling the flapper valve can be modified to fire a shift light, air shifter or even use it as a window switch to control nitrous.

Some logging features built in etc. Multiple rev limiters"¦.. but most of this is getting off the subject.

You remind me of something that goes on quite frequently here where I live.  People keep going to this one shop who has this big reputation for motor swaps but low and behold they end up coming back to my friends shop (another person with a mechanical engineering degree) to finish the job correctly.  Hmmm - education is power!  Why do you think they call it HIGHER learning.
Probably the most arrogant thing I've ever read here on the org.  

I bet you would get farther in life if you could trade some of your self-described awesome mathematical abilities for just some very basic social skills.
idea3.gif

99 Busa

Here are a few links
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=117561.0
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=125979.0
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=124338.0
http://www.bikeland.org/board....4107032

The links MountainMotor posted above are really good as well. And written where more of us can understand it.

Neat stuff in out factory ECU.... The circuit controlling the flapper valve can be modified to fire a shift light, air shifter or even use it as a window switch to control nitrous.

Some logging features built in etc.  Multiple rev limiters"¦.. but  most of this is getting off the subject.
thank you
hello.gif

Probably the most arrogant thing I've ever read here on the org.  

I bet you would get farther in life if you could trade some of your self-described awesome mathematical abilities for just some very basic social skills.
idea3.gif
You are correct Johnny that was a cheap shot and I appologize to everyone! I got cought up in the moment with all the cheap shots flying back and forth and I do know better. I won't comment on the social skills jab because If I didn't know me I would think the same thing. By the way its not self-described, you probably meant self proclaimed but check the graduating classes at Princeton and Embry Riddle.

Sorry for the jabs Mountain. You're proabably a real good guy just trying to help so I re-send that jab about commenting on threads.

It happens, and I should have stayed out of it anyway.

I blew up in a political thread about a year ago and still haven't lived it down, so I know what it's like to get caught up in the moment.

No question you know your math and physics and no question we could probably all learn a lot from you. I've just seen MM help dozens of people and know he knows his stuff also.

It's all good - and now I'll go check my use of the phrase self-described vs. self-proclaimed.
beerchug.gif

Can't we all just get along?
beerchug.gif
.........well,now that we are gonna play nice i want to start off by thanking you guys again for the great info.but,somewhere we lost our way.we have some very credible people here on this thread speaking there mind & sharing there wisdom
bowdown.gif
I really would like to here all sides before making up my mind on this mod as would anyone else that reads it in the future.again,I dont want this thread to go in cicles & end up no where like all the other threads on this mod.I hope the wisdom & info.continue to flow so that some day this thread will be pinned & anyone that asks about this mod will be pointed here & that there is all the answers to there questions.

I'll take the liberty of giving myself a
bump.gif
in attempt to keep things rolling.

I was looking for alittle more detail on the most asked about mod on the busa besides a t.r.e results at the track,dyno,articles & so far out of 53 posts there is maybe(4)posts from very wise individuals & there opinions & of course the do it or dont response

I was looking for alittle more detail on the most asked about mod on the busa besides a t.r.e results at the track,dyno,articles &  so far out of 53 posts there is maybe(4)posts from very wise individuals & there opinions & of course the do it or dont response
Airbox mod + K&N + good map netted me 7 hp on the dyno on an otherwise stock motor with a Muzzy full system.

no specific question just hoping to get some educated & detailed feedback for this mod.if you do a search on this mod you will read till your eyes bleed & get no where with useless comments & guess work(he said,she said).just hoping to get results on the most asked about mod on any hayabusa forum.thanks for giving a go guys.
thumb_up.gif

I have road tested back to back boxes. 1 stock and 1 small box.
Here is MY experience.
I did 2 base line tests with a Garmin GPS.
The bike only had Yosh RS-3 race bolt ons.
2-1 mile runs.
One from 75mph shifting thru the gears. At the 1 mile mark I was at 182mph.
The second was a 1 mile roll in top gear from 110 mph. At the mile mark it was 183mph.
I rode straight home, did the small box mod and plugged in the PCII with the stock map.
an hour and a half later I did the 2 runs again.
One from 75mph shifting thru the gears. At the 1 mile mark I was at 187mph.
The second was a 1 mile roll in top gear from 110 mph. At the mile mark it was 188mph.
It revved quicker and you could hear the box mod.
You COULD feel the difference also!
It made exactly 5mph difference on BOTH tests, so that's enough to convince ME that it works.

This is just MY experience. 8)
fight.gif

jump9.gif
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

How about any experience with.. small box mod and long stacks? with a PC III and custom map of coarse..

This is what I'm going to try..

Other mods are full Yosh RS3 race baffle and BMC race filter..

rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Back