An interesting parallel

I was referring to the scramjet and other toys they are testing now.  It really is crazy, cool and almost unbelievable what they are doing these days with technology.  Just think most of that stuff was designed before the Cold War.  What do you think we have now that we don't even know about....
wow.gif

Since the X-43 is unmanned, I guess that really doesn't count but the X-15 will do.
wink.gif
 Anytime you guys want to see any of these aircraft other than the X-43, stop over in Dayton OH.  I'll run you over to the Air Force museum and show you guys around.  http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/  We have a lot of one of a kind aircraft so it is very interesting if anyone wants to check them out sometime.

PM me if you guys are ever in town.

Josh
cool.gif

Wright-Patterson AFB
"The Birth Place of Flight"

The Sr-71 is by far the fastest jet to casually fly around the U.S. and what I mean by that, is that anything faster has probably been dropped off of another aircraft then has been powered by rockets. Radar does not lie, and I have not heard of or seen on radar another aircraft that was used in real time that can go the speeds of an SR71. Even if it was stealth, there are many rules that they would have to follow and the plane would be tracked by ATC or at least TMU in central flow. Yes the SR71 was impressive, and was a blast to work in the skys over the midwest, but was more fun to work with it when it refuels  with a KC35 or KC10. When a normal jet flys it's radar updates look like this-//////////   and when a SR71 flys it's radar hits look like this-/      /      /      /      /.

I live about 50 miles from Beale AFB. Blackbirds re-fueling after a warm up run (to seal the skin/tanks) were as common as crows back in the day. Now its just GLobal Hawks pulling 10G+ turns on final.
sad.gif

Ok, ok, removing foot from mouth!
smile.gif
Lot's of craft as fast or faster than the SR-71 I guess - just not production craft perhaps. Anyway, I'd like to see that museum someday!

But getting back to the Busa technology. It amazes me in this era of quick changing technology that Suzuki was able to design a hyper-bike back in the mid-90's, and have it be King all these years, basically unchanged!
tounge.gif

Remember "AIRCRAFT" The X-15 was a rocket, not an air beather lke the SR-71 the fastest aircraft. Like you said,it does compair well to the Busa. The fastest "production" bike.

Can't fire me. I now own a Hardly also.
Ooooh
tounge.gif

tounge.gif
 sorry to hear that!  
tounge.gif

tounge.gif
Hey, I did'nt buy it. I inherited it. Along with a 2000 Dark Grey CBR1100XX and a 2002 Silver CBR1100XX. So there. By the way, the HD is a 1979 Low Rider in near perfect condition. It only has a little over 8K miles. Both the Blackbirds have less then 10K miles. All are sitting in the garage next to my pride and joy, a Blue/Silver 2005 Busa. And my R1 replica Super Pocket Bike. And my Craftsmen 21 hp V-twin Bob Vila Signature riding mower. And.......and.......and.......

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

The Sr-71 is by far the fastest jet to casually fly around the U.S. and what I mean by that, is that anything faster has probably been dropped off of another aircraft then has been powered by rockets. Radar does not lie, and I have not heard of or seen on radar another aircraft that was used in real time that can go the speeds of an SR71. Even if it was stealth, there are many rules that they would have to follow and the plane would be tracked by ATC or at least TMU in central flow. Yes the SR71 was impressive, and was a blast to work in the skys over the midwest, but was more fun to work with it when it refuels  with a KC35 or KC10. When a normal jet flys it's radar updates look like this-//////////   and when a SR71 flys it's radar hits look like this-/      /      /      /      /.
BAMBOOSA,

Tell me more! The SR-71 is one of the few planes that I haven't got to work and probably never will unless they bring one out of the graveyard or NASA brings theres out to play.

Sounds like you are in ATC as well. Minneapolis Center or are you at the school house?

I have heard some crazy and funny stories about the SR-71. For instance; A buddy was working one in the stratoshpere somewhere and the pilot requested FL900 (90,000's for the rest of you). My buddie thought crap we don't have any aircraft at that high up and said roger approved. The pilot keys back up and says "Roger, decending!"
wow.gif
He said just about everyone in the room just about died when they heard DECENDING!
wow.gif

I think it's funny that you guys keep calling the SR-71 a "PRODUCTION" aircraft. They made what 12 of them and most are in different configurations. From the A-12 to the YF-12 then the SR-71 and then the cancelled M-21. So they had maybe 15 of these similar looking aircraft total at one time and probably less than half of that in existence now. They aren't as common as you guys make it sound.
wink.gif

I just wish they could of figured out a more efficient way to keep accelerating and increasing the speed. The real problem with all of these aircraft is having enough fuel. Right when they start to get warmed up, they run out of juice. That's why the X-15 was dropped from another plane and the SR-71 had to refuel immediately after taking off. With the design of the wings for those speeds, they created very little lift. Anything short of a rocket motor (X-15) or TWO J-58 engines (SR-71) they didn't have the power.

Even with the X-15 rocket motor, the SR-71 flew at record speeds with AFTERBURNER ONLY so it's about as close to a rocket as you can get without being one if you think about it.
blush.gif

wow.gif

BAMBOOSA,

Tell me more!  The SR-71 is one of the few planes that I haven't got to work and probably never will unless they bring one out of the graveyard or NASA brings theres out to play.

Sounds like you are in ATC as well.  Minneapolis Center or are you at the school house?

I have heard some crazy and funny stories about the SR-71.  For instance; A buddy was working one in the stratoshpere somewhere and the pilot requested FL900 (90,000's for the rest of you).  My buddie thought crap we don't have any aircraft at that high up and said roger approved.  The pilot keys back up and says "Roger, decending!"  
wow.gif
 He said just about everyone in the room just about died when they heard DECENDING!
wow.gif

I think it's funny that you guys keep calling the SR-71 a "PRODUCTION" aircraft.  They made what 12 of them and most are in different configurations.  From the A-12 to the YF-12 then the SR-71 and then the cancelled M-21.  So they had maybe 15 of these similar looking aircraft total at one time and probably less than half of that in existence now.  They aren't as common as you guys make it sound.  
wink.gif

I just wish they could of figured out a more efficient way to keep accelerating and increasing the speed.  The real problem with all of these aircraft is having enough fuel.  Right when they start to get warmed up, they run out of juice.  That's why the X-15 was dropped from another plane and the SR-71 had to refuel immediately after taking off.  With the design of the wings for those speeds, they created very little lift.  Anything short of a rocket motor (X-15) or TWO J-58 engines (SR-71) they didn't have the power.

Even with the X-15 rocket motor, the SR-71 flew at record speeds with AFTERBURNER ONLY so it's about as close to a rocket as you can get without being one if you think about it.  
blush.gif
The Agency still flies them.
wink.gif

wow.gif

wink.gif

Which one?

NASA is the only one I know that still flies them on the record but I am guessing they have a couple out at ******** also.

I'm not sure about the last two years ( haven't seen one in two yrs) but I believe thaty pulled two out of mothballs to use as show aircraft and what ever suits thier fancy. I think it was 3-4 years ago I worked one over Iowa as it was going to Oshkosh.

GOTBUSA

Yes I'm ATC at Minneapolis Enroute center. Been there for 21 1/2 years. I've always worked the airspace over eastern Neb. and western Iowa. High and low altitude. I did have a 14 year stint around the west side of MSP also. About 16-17 yrs ago was when I worked the sr71 in a refueling and it was neat to see the kc35 doing about 150knots faster than it usually goes in refueling just so the sr71 could catch up to it without having to slow down too much as they hooked up. It was a much faster refuel than I expected ( especially with the thicker fuel they put in it.) Then when it is done the sr71 does a dipsy doodle manuever in which it decends 3-4000 feet to gain acceleration from 470 kts to about 700 and it starts to climb again and I believe it did it one more time then climbed to 6ok ft + 1760 kts. We always had the plane on a center discreet freq (1 freq.) so the pilot wouldn't have to change the freq's so often from sector to sector.

Do you want to hear more?

When I was stationed on Okinawa, Japan they would leave from Kadena AFB and man that was a site to see . There would be flames like 3 yards long coming out of the exhaust and you could hear that sucker from Camp Hansen where the JarHeads were.

Rumor is that Skunk Works is working on the 07 Hayabusa
wink.gif
Keep it on the Low
cool.gif

I was referring to the scramjet and other toys they are testing now.  It really is crazy, cool and almost unbelievable what they are doing these days with technology.  Just think most of that stuff was designed before the Cold War.  What do you think we have now that we don't even know about....
wow.gif

Since the X-43 is unmanned, I guess that really doesn't count but the X-15 will do.
wink.gif
 Anytime you guys want to see any of these aircraft other than the X-43, stop over in Dayton OH.  I'll run you over to the Air Force museum and show you guys around.  http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/  We have a lot of one of a kind aircraft so it is very interesting if anyone wants to check them out sometime.

PM me if you guys are ever in town.

Josh  
cool.gif

Wright-Patterson AFB
"The Birth Place of Flight"
ummmmmmmm maybe a U.F.O. <span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span>
tounge.gif

The SR 71 was never pushed to its full limits. It was powered by Ram Jets. Which means that as the power increases the compressor blades change angles. The "jet' eventually, will for practical purposes, becomes a rocket motor! the problems where; less than five minutes of usable fuel at 100% thottle( it takes a lot longer than that to find a suitable landing sight). Also no-one was sure how the engines would react to FULL throttle.

GOTBUSA  

Yes I'm ATC at Minneapolis Enroute center. Been there for 21 1/2 years. I've always worked the airspace over eastern Neb. and western Iowa.  High and low altitude. I did have a 14 year stint around the west side of MSP also. About 16-17 yrs ago was when I worked the sr71 in a refueling and it was neat to see the kc35 doing about 150knots  faster than it usually goes in refueling just so the sr71 could catch up to it without having to slow down too much as they hooked up. It was a much faster refuel than I expected ( especially with the thicker fuel they put in it.) Then when it is done the sr71 does a dipsy doodle manuever in which it decends 3-4000 feet to gain acceleration from 470 kts to about 700 and it starts to climb again and I believe it did it one more time then climbed to 6ok ft + 1760 kts. We always had the plane on a center discreet freq (1 freq.) so the pilot wouldn't have to change the freq's so often from sector to sector.

Do you want to hear more?
BAMBOOBUSA,

Sounds cool man!

I have been controlling also but for only about 7-years in the AF. I plan to separate after this enlistment (2-years left) and hopefully get picked up with the FAA. I bet you have some great stories controlling that long.

Depending what sector you are in, you've probably controlled us. I have been on a couple different incentive flights over your way in the last year. Have you worked any of these in the last few months?

Picture019.jpg

Picture049.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Shoot me an email sometime if your ever out this way and maybe we can grab a beer or something sometime. Do you know of any controller forums? I'm kind of bummed since the atccafe went down and I can't stand the layout of stuckmic.

Back