Ammonia effect on plastic

Discussion in 'General Bike Related Topics' started by jeremy_283, Jan 29, 2011.

1. jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Registered

I noticed tapeworks recommended using window cleaner with ammonia in it to prep the surface for the decals. Does ammonia cause stuff to streak? Like the finish on the paint? or what about the plastic windshield?

2. Fastfrog007

Fastfrog007 Donating Member Registered

I always heard ammonia is not good on bikes...

3. DCar

DCar Registered

ammonia will take the polorization off anything, so if its on your bike shield or helmet shields dont get it on them. it shouldn't hurt the paint at all because of the clear coat.

4. afterhours

afterhours Registered

amonia should remove all waxes and polishes on the surface...

so if you spray it on then wipe it off, the surface may appear dull. The amonia based cleaner has not stained the paint, it has just removed the wax and polish.

5. AJAY

AJAY Registered

This is exactly correct. Ammonia will strip any oils and waxes, leaving a good surface for applying new decals and stickers. You should be fine on a painted surface, but if you are really worried, wipe with a little water after to remove the ammonia residue.

Ammonia is very hard on certain plastics, especially acrylics, like windscreens and helmet face shields. It will leave crazing - small cracks that affect the clarity of the plastic and weaken it. But it should be fine on paint.

6. trekfuel

trekfuel Registered

I use this one on wind screen and helmet shields

ammonia free

Attached Files: