raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Why didn't someone do this years ago?

Attachments

• Disappearing_Car_Door.wmv
    6.2 MB · Views: 222
that is sweet! just don't call the cops if you lock your keys in the car :laugh:

Cool, but not a new idea. Both Ford and GM had this on show cars in the 60's.
The idea was dropped. In crash tests, the door pinned itself into the body and could not be removed in any reasonable time to satisfy NHTSA standards.
The design also greatly reduced side impact as well as complete body side strength as well as total structure integration. But it does look nice...........

Cool, but not a new idea. Both Ford and GM had this on show cars in the 60's.
The idea was dropped. In crash tests, the door pinned itself into the body and could not be removed in any reasonable time to satisfy NHTSA standards.
The design also greatly reduced side impact as well as complete body side strength as well as total structure integration. But it does look nice...........

He is CORRECT!! This was the first time I've seen it.......but immediately,.......visualized the issues in safety. Very Cool....otherwise!

OK safety is always an issue, it's just sad when I remember all the thousands of miles I drove around in my little plastic car (Lotus Elan) and I'm still here with great memories.....like the old bumper sticker says, "Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars".
Maybe if they made a sunroof into a safety hatch it would allow them to create a DOT approved system.

That is a pretty cool setup, but wouldn't Lambo doors work just as well without the safety issue? I've often wondered why that style hasn't been more mass produced.

Lambo doors are also just as dangerous. How the heck ya gonna get out if your Murcielago is upside down? Saw a couple pics, case in point years ago on clubSI where a guy was trapped in his lambo upside down & burned to death
Posted via Mobile Device

pretty cool, all tho it would suck when it's raining. when you open it up in pouring rain, it would be like getting in a pool lol.:laugh:

yea that is sweet, at least it'd keep the people at Walmart to always find my truck, go park beside it and bang it ??????

Back