AIRBOX INSULATION WRAP

Ked0607

Registered
I was watching a REEL of a girl that I follow with a Gen 3. She has a slick custom paint lowered and stretched Busa. Kinda hot not going to lie. But anyhow the REEL showed the airbox wrapped in gold film. Is the air in there long enough to really heat up if you are on the road moving? Even roll racing its been cycled through in the first 20 ft of movement. Anyone else done this? What were the results? How much was it?

I wrapped the bottom of my tank and seat for whatever good it does but wrapping an airbox? Probably not the entire airbox either. Doubtful it does anything. BTW, what is “REEL”?

Well i have seen youtube videos and other people that claim that wraping the airbox lowers the temperature of the inside of the airbox helping a little more in the hp and torque quest.

@greg3852 wrapped alot on his gen1

I did this on a Raptor 700 that I had, as the exhaust passes within inches of one side of it.
Does it make a noticeable difference?
No, but the less heat the air picks up the better.
Gains are likely miniscule, but in theory, they have to be there as a result.
It was kind of a 'why not' mod for me, I had a little extra time and the material so...

20210306_155227.jpg

20210306_155217.jpg

20210306_173236.jpg

The benefits of it are extremely overhyped, kinda like how cold air intakes used to be in the automotive world.

If you have the material, or have a few friends that'll split a roll with you then it can be worth trying, but it'll be a mental mod. Our bikes are never ridden hard and long enough for it to really serve a purpose.

The benefits of it are extremely overhyped, kinda like how cold air intakes used to be in the automotive world.

If you have the material, or have a few friends that'll split a roll with you then it can be worth trying, but it'll be a mental mod. Our bikes are never ridden hard and long enough for it to really serve a purpose.
Speak for yourself. I ride mine hard all the time and for long distances. (Don’t even say it). It’s called DEI gold tape. It does work and keeps the heat out of parts. I wrap my starter in it, and my plenum. I want it as cold as possible.

Btw they use it on the Mclaren F1 super car. It does work.

Speak for yourself. I ride mine hard all the time and for long distances. (Don’t even say it). It’s called DEI gold tape. It does work and keeps the heat out of parts. I wrap my starter in it, and my plenum. I want it as cold as possible.

Btw they use it on the Mclaren F1 super car. It does work.
Hey you ride your ride buddy, no judgement here :lol:

Starter? Yes. In Engine bay they pcm? Yes. A2W IC? That too.
Those are all things that are in constant exposure to heat that you don’t want to bake.

Airbox/plenum/ram air tubes? Results are grossly exaggerated.

We did extensive testing with it when I was working at Katech helping develops the C5 and C6 Le Mans programs, and short term it’s negligible with free air intake pieces. (The MF1 intake is pure carbon and not wrapped with any heat barrier)

I would be interested in seeing on road testing of IATs at the butterfly before and after putting it on.

I would also like to see the results of using not on the intake but instead on the bottom of the gas tank to keep fuel cold.

They’d have to be done on the road tho. Free air flow/ram air needs to be accounted into it

shazam!
BTW, the F1 use real gold foil for the engine bay. not dei fools gold.

View attachment 1670093
So are you venting crankcase to atmosphere too? I mean with 200+ degree coming off the crankcase it would basically eliminate any benefit to doing this. Im not trying to poke the bear or anything just getting some general info before doing two later wrap on mine. Silver DEI first layer and Gold second. This would be a rainy weekend mod where I would blow the farings off and wrap it from air inlets to the box.

So are you venting crankcase to atmosphere too? I mean with 200+ degree coming off the crankcase it would basically eliminate any benefit to doing this. Im not trying to poke the bear or anything just getting some general info before doing two later wrap on mine. Silver DEI first layer and Gold second. This would be a rainy weekend mod where I would blow the farings off and wrap it from air inlets to the box.
unless you actually measure the crack case air temp then you don’t know if it’s actually >200F coming out of there. and even if it was >200F in there it doesn’t mean thats the temp getting to the air box. you have a few competing variables for air box temp. the obvious ones are cooler atmosphere air coming in from the snorkels and radiant heat from the engine area. the foil is just blocking some of the heat coming off the engine. if heat barriers weren’t useful the factory wouldnt be adding it in specific areas. is it measurable with a dyno? many mods that do affect performance arent measurable with a dyno.

Back