Air shift transmission??

new2bikes

Registered
Just wondering, i found a busa for 8k on ebay, its an 00 with 10k miles and a few mods

i dont like manuals, hence why i havent messed with bikes for the most part

but i asked a few bikers at walmart they said typicaly the air shift trans is used for drag racers, but could work on a road situation

where can i find more info on this type of trans?? i googled all over and cant find a thing

thanks, and hope to hear somthing good
tounge.gif

What part of SC. Air shifters are typically used for straight runs, drag and LSR. It doesn't make the bike an automatic.

Also this is a shifter not a transmission. It's a solenoid that attaches to the shifter. Electric, or gas/air typically.

(dadofthree @ Jul. 04 2007,22:09) What part of SC. Air shifters are typically used for straight runs, drag and LSR. It doesn't make the bike an automatic.
north charleston/summerville area in SC

from what i understand, you give it gas, and press a button each time you want to shift, and for a split second the engine stops and allows it to shift

any links to info? or pros and cons to it?

(spkerhed @ Jul. 04 2007,22:17) if you want an automatic buy a burgman
ewuh no way man, busas look nice, i wouldnt need the speed of the busa, just the looks

ok, so if i get this for the trans, where would i find it? there a lot of shops that carry it?

any links to places that have it?

its NOT an automatic you still clutch for take offs and in most gears the air shifter is for racing not for every day use

(spkerhed @ Jul. 04 2007,22:25) its NOT an automatic you still clutch for take offs and in most gears the air shifter is for racing not for every day use
ok, understood, so i clutch into first? the rest are a button?

and what would happen if i did use it in every day use?

also, one of the guys who i was speaking to said he had a busa with this trans, and said it was just a button and you put gas to it, and you dont use a clutch

*shrugs* is there any way of making a custom auto trans for a bike applacation?

Don’t think it would hold up to every day use there is no custom tranny that I know of for the busa it has nothing to do with the trans on the busa it is just a solenoid that attaches to the shift lever on the bike and is meant to be used when the throttle is wide open and most don’t down shift

(spkerhed @ Jul. 04 2007,22:43) Don’t think it would hold up to every day use      there is no custom tranny that I know of for the busa    it has nothing to do with the trans on the busa it is just a solenoid that attaches to the shift lever on the bike and is meant to be used when the throttle is wide open and most don’t down shift
can you explain why it wouldnt hold up?

would it burn up itself after stop and go use?  or burn trans up?

sorry im the biggest n00b to bikes and such

says on one of the links that you can fab your own backtracky system for downshifting, maybe that wont be so pricy , 700 bucks isnt bad for that system
tounge.gif

Josh, you might want to go to the new owners forum and introduce yourself and if you have a Busa post some pics.

If you install an air shifter you'll probably end up replacing components as they wear out, just like all mechanical or electrical devices. You might be able to get some reliability info. I have absolutely no experience with these devices.

This will not turn a manual tranny into an automatic. There will still be a clutch involved.

just to let you know i ride and i have never driven a manual car before i rode, i understand the concept and have once or twice but i learnt on the bike and got it in one afternoon by takin an msf course before i got my bike...
what happens if your on your way down the road and your shifter breaks...you need to learn manual to ride a bike...and its really easy.

One thing your not taking into consideration is down shifting ! As in, stopping or  approaching a stop light. You might ask the guys in the Drag racing section (Professor for one) . Iam not sure you can continually down shift an air shifter. And NO it does not STOP the engine, it interupts the gas or spark for a milli sec for the shifting to be done. I've never seen one work a LOW RPM's though. I know a friend of mine who does drag races, does have a buttom, but it activates a Hydrologic (another service problem in the making for everyday use) system that shifts, and as far as I know, he only uses it to up shift  
beerchug.gif

The airshifter will wear out rather quickly on a daily use. The seals that hold the air in the shifter (plunger) will wear and cause the air to leak out. I do not recommend an airshifter for daily use. There is no way that I know of to make the bike an automatic.
Of course if you have LOTS and LOTS of money, I am sure someone, somewhere can make one, as now-a-days nothing mechanical is impossible.

(DaCol. @ Jul. 05 2007,10:17) One thing your not taking into consideration is down shifting ! As in, stopping or  approaching a stop light. You might ask the guys in the Drag racing section (Professor for one) . Iam not sure you can continually down shift an air shifter. And NO it does not STOP the engine, it interupts the gas or spark for a milli sec for the shifting to be done. I've never seen one work a LOW RPM's though. I know a friend of mine who does drag races, does have a buttom, but it activates a Hydrologic (another service problem in the making for everyday use) system that shifts, and as far as I know, he only uses it to up shift  
beerchug.gif
Mine works both up and down at low and high rpm's.
I have the pingle electric shifter, It is very durable and alot of people who have problems with there feet or being able to operate a bike get these and use them all the time without any problems! They are mostly used on chopper style bikes, however I like many others find it great for drag racing!
http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_suzuki_gsxr.htm

Left_side_shifter.JPG

Back