air box mod

Ban-One

Registered
I was looking at the small air box mod section and I saw it asked but it never was answered. My question is my bike is 100% stock. If I do the small air box mod, will I need to do anything else? Is there any problems that may come from it? I have been wanting to get some pipes and other goodies, but with everything these days it just seems to be on the back burner. Thanks for the help.

thats a hard question. I have never heard of anyone running completely stock and doing the mod. Im not so sure it will be any good untill you get a full system on there. I do know doing the mod drops your torque from the 1k-3k range, reason is your bike is not tuned to take that much air in on the low rpm range. think of it this way on the pipes and the box mod. You need to get the air out if your taking more in. Try this take a really deap breath and blow out through a straw.
My opinon is leave it alone untill you get a system and commander then do the airbox mod, pair valve removal and a high flow airfilter.

Just trowing it out there but i have a full yosh system and commander im tryn to get rid of for a good price. send me a PM if interested

You should not have any issues with a small box mod. Your small amount of added air is easily within the perameters of the ecu's speed density's air flow compensation. Been there done that.

Not to highjack the thread but I have a Yoshi 4-2-1 with the Voodoo shorty pipe, power commander, K&N airfilter and did the simple marble mod. Would i benefit from the small airbox mod? I noticed my power has dropped in the lower RPM's since I installed the Voodoo (hasn't been re-tuned since). Would this mod hurt the the power more in the lower RPM's?

Not to highjack the thread but I have a Yoshi 4-2-1 with the Voodoo shorty pipe, power commander, K&N airfilter and did the simple marble mod. Would i benefit from the small airbox mod? I noticed my power has dropped in the lower RPM's since I installed the Voodoo (hasn't been re-tuned since). Would this mod hurt the the power more in the lower RPM's?

Probably, UNLESS you do the mod then retune on a dyno...sounds like your bike needs to be "redialed" at this point anyway.

I was wondering if power was lost (in the lower rpm's) for good once the small airbox mod was done. I know I need to get her retuned. I felt the difference in the lower rpm's once I got rid of the Yoshi pipe and installed the Voodoo. Probably due to less restriction I would guess.

I was looking at the small air box mod section and I saw it asked but it never was answered. My question is my bike is 100% stock. If I do the small air box mod, will I need to do anything else? Is there any problems that may come from it?

The answer is NO! It will not cause you to run to additional mods. Frankly, this is a step down mod,, or step up, if you will. Do this, run a BMC race and one tooth up in the back and you will open up your bike, period. You can do all of these types of mods, one step at a time without worrying of remapping. Lift the tank, remove the airbox, filter and vacuum on the bottom of the AB, get your Dremel out and start a bit of art work. Cut in shallow at first,, then begin shaping. Wash out with soap and water, dry and re-install. You will love the new seat-of-the-pants feel.

99-07 bike? Suzuki did their homework on this airbox. The flap is in there to increase the power/torque in the lower rpm ranges. I feel you are going to loose far more below 6000rpm than you will gain above 9500. The stock exhaust header is pretty restrictive. You'll have a much better combo using the stock box with stock pipes. save the box mod for a bike with full exhaust. I'll be glad to send you a couple of maps for the same bike with and without the box mod (with full exhaust). You can see the difference in mapping the box requires.

Yeah please do. I know that people have different opinions and thats whats great. I just want something concrete so I know that after the mod is done, I will not have to either get a new airbox or something cause I does'nt run right. Oh yeah its an '06.

pix for those who are asking..$350obo for exhaust ...$250 for pc3usb (not mine i have)

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

Small box mod does not take away from the bottom end at all providing you have some type of exhaust mod as well. I agree with the post about the BMC filter and 2 tooth larger sprocket. Even with a stock map you will feel a big seat of the pants jump in the entire powerband.

Last edited:
Small box mod does not take away from the bottom end at all providing you have some type of exhaust mod as well. I agree with the post about the BMC filter and 2 tooth larger sprocket. Even with a stock map you will feel a big seat of the pants jump in the entire powerband.

So I should benefit from it then with the Yoshi 4-2-1 header and Voodoo pipe?

If the bike is 100% STOCK and only the small box mod, you will lose power down low. Above 6k you will pick up but it depends on your riding. If it's a drag bike, it may help you some. However, if you do street only stuff you will hate it for now...

Once you do exhaust with it, you will pick up power EVERYWHERE!!!

If you search for a thread back in 03/04 that I posted. I did back-to-back testing with another stock bike and proved the results. I don't remember off the top of my head but I believe it was like 3-bikes slower below 4k doing roll-ons but above 6k it was 3-4 bike lengths FASTER!

Back