Aftermarket rearset

Stilslo

Registered
I have a hairline crack in my left stock rearset. I found a new stock one on eBay for $100.00, but that could be $100 towards a new aftermarket set. The stock rearsets are comfortable for me and I like the position so this would be for pure aesthetic reasons. Searching old posts I've found most prefer vortex. I'm confused with the rear brake light bracket. Do the vortex rearsets have a light bracket? Any other rearsets you guys prefer?

If its a stocker, wait one will come along for sale cheaper

You have to order a brake light switch to go with the Vortex rearsets.
They are are the only aftermarket rearsets that I know of that allows you to keep the stock peg position also.
I've had a set for about a year and a half on my gen2 with no complaints.
Keep in mind that the stock rearsets are mounted on bushings, and of course have rubber on top of the pegs.
All aftermarket rearsets are solid mount.
Therefore you get more vibration and buzz transferred into your feet and legs.
The rpm range that does this also happens to be in a range of highway cruising speeds(depending on gearing as to what mph, but high 50's to 70's range).
On the other hand you get alot more feel and control of the bike, as the pegs are solid mounted and they don't flex or bounce.
Aftermarket rearsets also have bearing mounted shift and brake pedals, stock are again bushings.
The bearings make the pedals feel much smoother.

Have you considered just powdercoating the stock rearsets black to match the frame? That's a good looking and cheap mod.

You have to order a brake light switch to go with the Vortex rearsets.
They are are the only aftermarket rearsets that I know of that allows you to keep the stock peg position also.
I've had a set for about a year and a half on my gen2 with no complaints.
Keep in mind that the stock rearsets are mounted on bushings, and of course have rubber on top of the pegs.
All aftermarket rearsets are solid mount.
Therefore you get more vibration and buzz transferred into your feet and legs.
The rpm range that does this also happens to be in a range of highway cruising speeds(depending on gearing as to what mph, but high 50's to 70's range).
On the other hand you get alot more feel and control of the bike, as the pegs are solid mounted and they don't flex or bounce.
Have you considered just powdercoating the stock rearsets black to match the frame?

Interesting. I didn't consider the extra vibration. Powdercoating a stock set may be just the ticket for me.

i bought a noname brand black rearsets off ebay and really like the looks. BUT...... the vibration is abit as they are solid mounted. im also thinking since winter is here maybe powdercoat my stockers black and switch back. also the aftermarket sets dont have the long pegs so my feet had to get used to not slipping off

I love the Vortex rearsets. My rides are pretty long (8-12 hours) and I don't really get bothered by the buzzing, but it is there as has been said. As for feel and control on the bike there is no comparison. They also act as sliders if you are prone to sliding the bike as I am :laugh:. You can't get the lowest position on the Vortex rearsets if you have the stock exhaust but the next higher one is pretty close to stock. I'm 6' tall and it works just fine. So I would ditch the stock pegs as fast as I can frankly.

I have a hairline crack in my left stock rearset. I found a new stock one on eBay for $100.00, but that could be $100 towards a new aftermarket set. The stock rearsets are comfortable for me and I like the position so this would be for pure aesthetic reasons. Searching old posts I've found most prefer vortex. I'm confused with the rear brake light bracket. Do the vortex rearsets have a light bracket? Any other rearsets you guys prefer?

Stilslo,
I think I can beat $100; how does free.99 sound? Send me your addy and the Free Clinic will have the rear set on the way. One of our fellow oRg'sters saw this and reminded me that they had sent me stockers awhile back- so chalk this up to us looking out for each other!

MCM

Stilslo,
I think I can beat $100; how does free.99 sound? Send me your addy and the Free Clinic will have the rear set on the way. One of our fellow oRg'sters saw this and reminded me that they had sent me stockers awhile back- so chalk this up to us looking out for each other!

MCM

Shawn, you are the man:beerchug: I'll pm you my addy. Let me know what the shipping is or just give me your paypal addy and I'll put it in. Love this site:thumbsup:

I love the Vortex rearsets. My rides are pretty long (8-12 hours) and I don't really get bothered by the buzzing, but it is there as has been said. As for feel and control on the bike there is no comparison. They also act as sliders if you are prone to sliding the bike as I am :laugh:. You can't get the lowest position on the Vortex rearsets if you have the stock exhaust but the next higher one is pretty close to stock. I'm 6' tall and it works just fine. So I would ditch the stock pegs as fast as I can frankly.

Your supposed to keep it on 2 wheels:poke::laugh: That's how I cracked mine, lowside.

Understood, but there are better deals other than the sponsors!
I also give the sponsors first dibs.
I try to use the sponsors as much as I can, but I have bought stuff from motomummy. They run some awesome deals from time to time.

Stilslo,

MCM
That is what I love about this place. Always willing to help others. Great job sir :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good deal!!! I thought Shawn's bike was a gen1 and you need a gen2. Not trying to be nosey!

I got vortex rear sets as well and they are worth the xtra money, might be able to pick up a used pair on Ebay or something. Idk about you but I always ride in boots so I feel little to no vibration, maybe if you ride in flip flops or something it might be a problem but then again if thats the case you have a Bigger problem to worry about :laugh:

Back