after market temperature gauge

Ice3460

Registered
Hey guys. I recently swapped my 2000 to a 2nd gen gauge cluster. Aside from the check engine lights gear indicator and abs light that keeps coming on......my temp gauge keeps going all the way up...then the fi light comes on and it immediately drops to normal range...then the fi light goes out and it shoots up again then the light comes on again and it drops again ...this just keeps going over and over again.. Im not sure what is causing it but I need to accurately know my temperature. I must also note that the kick stand sensor as well as the tip over sensor have both been deleted and I've also put in a fen 2 radiator and oil cooler. The radiator has been bled as best as I can. I originally thought that was the issue until it did this immediately upon starting the bike.
I wanted to know if anyone had a solution to this or if someone could suggest an aftermarket gauge as well as let me know if the gauge is mechanical or not. Thanks alot

I think you will have a few issues.Your cluster is not receiving the correct signal. The only signal going to the cluster is from a wiring harness/ecu that doesn't support gen ii input signals. FI codes will be present for many things as you may already know.Your 16 bit ecu cant send signals for gear position,abs,etc. You are going to have to tap in to the temp sensor and hope it sends the CORRECT signal out. My guess is,it will not. I would look for an' aftermarket temp gauge and sending unit.
Not good advice perhaps,but I have researched this before. Its a bit of a nightmare to say the least.
Rubb.

Thanks rubber. I agree. I already ordered an after market one. Im going to cut the k line for the communications from the ecu and make a quick disconnect. This should stop all fi signals and codes. If I run into a problem I can tap into the line to see whats going on.

Thanks rubber. I agree. I already ordered an after market one. Im going to cut the k line for the communications from the ecu and make a quick disconnect. This should stop all fi signals and codes. If I run into a problem I can tap into the line to see whats going on.
Keep us posted with your progress re new gauge etc...and perhaps some of they other issues can be solved and passed on to other members attemping Gen I to II swaps.
Thanks,
Rubb.

Back