A word of "caution" regarding rear brake pads..

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
So...here I am riding my busa to work everyday and usually hitting it hard on sunday small group rides...and about a month or so ago...while running the psuedo track (point6) out in sebring I had a minor run-off in one corner I entered a tad hot...and during the event?..it seemed i had all kinds of time to watch myself crash..old pilot powers with 4K+ miles on'em..I locked up both front and rear brakes several times over as I desperately attempted to modulate the brakes but then the old, wore to the bone pilot powers would just lock and slide...as I did the classic "Stand It Up And Run Off The Track" routine...as with all the skidding I did?..there was no way I'd of managed the turn..and it wasn't all that bad as by the time I did leave asphault and hit dirt I was indeed straight up and down to maybe 10mph (if that)...coming to a nice soft stop in the roadside weeds...a tad shaken...a little embarrassed..but managed to keep'er upright with zero damage and after glancing down at both sides to inspect that all was well?...immediately pulled myself back together mentally and lit back out onto the track sloluming my tires clean of dirt and right back in the swing of things...however..

on the route home we pulled in a convienience store and is where and when I first noticed/heard my rear brake making a new and real nasty grinding sound...and automatically assumed that my little roadside foray at the track musta spit some dirt up in my rear brake caliper...i figured..."no biggy...just refrain from using it until I get a chance to clean it out...well...working 55 hours a week...wifes birthday coming up...3 daughters needing signed up for summer day camp...several trips to my lawyer for a legal issue I have at hand and viola...here it is a month later and never addressed that dog gone dirt infested caliper...until last night...as I stood there watching Doctor Don mount up a new set of Dunlop Qualifiers...and he gasped as he removed my rear wheel..."My god man!...You got no Rear Brake Pad Left and Your Rear Rotor Is Scored!!!...He11...You're Into The Metal Backing Plate!!!"
wow.gif

and I was like...
wow.gif
"That's impossible!...I've only got 8,700 miles on that bike!"

Him: Well you're into the metal here bud!...Look!

and sure enough?..all the padding was gone and the rotor was gauled and ate into the metal brake pad backing plates a good 32th of an inch...on both sides.

and then it hit me...and maybe some of you here recall when I slightly toasted my front rotors a while back with those freaking ferrodo sintergrip "roads" aftermarket brake pads..and the only thing/reason I can think of is this...

as the quality and effectiveness of my front brakes slowly but surely deteriorated?...I must've subconsciously and incideously become more and more reliant/dependant on my rear brake..wearing it down to and through the bone in a scant 8,000 miles or so.

This sent me into a panic thinking "Damn...did I just destroy my rear rotor as well?"...and after a closer look by Doctor Don and myself we determined...no...it just had some slight surface gauling that wasn't to deep at all and didn't appear to be burned or warped...and most of it went away with a few spins of sandpaper..(I still need to do more surfacing though) and miraculously Don had a new pair of EBC HH rear pads on hand..and I didn't even hesitate when he asked.."Want'em?"...absolutely...and boy howdy was I embarrased...just to busy these days I guess but still....it was definantly waaaaay past time to take care of business..cause this time I was just "Lucky"...all the way around.

But here's the thing folks...I didn't change out the stock oem rear brake pads on both my old ZRX and my FZ1 till they had 20K miles on'em....and even then?...the rear pads had about 1/2 the life left in'em...and even with my ferrodo front brake pad episode?...I'm amazed that the stock rear pads on my busa vaporized in less than 8,000 miles...Don told me..."The Busa Is A Lot Of Fast Bike To Stop" and the rear pads are real small...he also claims he's seen some real hard riders on Gixxer 1000's go through rear pads in less than 3,000..one customer imparticular who in 10K miles not only ate through the pads but also ate clean through the metal backing plates and into his rear caliper...and EVERYTHING needed replacing...I dunno..maybe he was just trying to make me feel better with the stories but I sure am happy that the cure for my incompetence and lack of attention was as simple as a little sandpaper and scotchbrite and $30 worth of new pads...as things could've turned out far worse..and btw...

My Busa is now back to smoothly stopping on dimes and cutt'in .09 cents change!
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

So?..morale to the story?..if you ride hard and/or use your rear brake a lot?..check those rear pads folks...as it could save ya a small bundle..maybe even your life....and.....

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

oh yeah...and..

P.S. "Yes"....I can't believe I allowed this to happen..I need to stop working som much overtime making parts and start learning how to "make time" to properly take care of my own damn shid.
blush.gif

wow.gif

I'll let you slide this time Jinkster..... but it G.D. well better not happen again!  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|E4G67
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147548942 -->

Thanks for the info, Bill.

Glad all was well after running out of the turn.

I had to replace my brake pads at 10,000 miles. I thought that was good wear compared to my last bike.

Bill - what the heck man...lol

Hey, I know your a pretty smart guy, and guess I don't need to say this, but I will. Those new EBC HH pads grip much more than stock, and the rear wheel WILL lock up on ya much quicker...so be careful. I re-adjusted my rear brake pedal so I have to really whack it to get the rear to lock up...way to easy to smoke the rear...so just a heads up
smile.gif

Bill - what the heck man...lol

Hey, I know your a pretty smart guy, and guess I don't need to say this, but I will. Those new EBC HH pads grip much more than stock, and the rear wheel WILL lock up on ya much quicker...so be careful. I re-adjusted my rear brake pedal so I have to really whack it to get the rear to lock up...way to easy to smoke the rear...so just a heads up
smile.gif
Yeah I know...and I felt like a horses azz standing there with my jaw on my chest looking at two fried backing plates inmy hand and the only pad material left was the remnants in the backing plate holes...he11...all this time alls I hadta do is benn over and take a closer look at my rear rotor and I'd of instantly known.

And yeah...I know...I had the EBC HH's on my old ZRX and loved'em...lotsa bite and didn't fry my rotors at all...also...I usually never use the rear brake...and up til a couple years ago?...if I was running hot and hard?..I usta purposfully keep the ball of my right foot on the peg when going through curves just so that I wouldn't be even "Sub-consciously Tempted" to use it while in a heavy lean...however...just the past couple years I've noticed myself gently applying just a ever so slight touch of rear brake as I go through curves hot as...it seems to settle and stabilize the bikes chassis better...and I'm not certain but...I think they call it...

"Trail Braking".
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

be extra careful! on mine, the slightest tap sends the tail sideways. maybe I'll back my pedal adj. off a bit too.
damn...just thought of something....and I hate when that happens!
laugh.gif
buuuuuuuut...

Your comment sparked me to thinking...."Gee...I been hitt'in the rear pretty good going through the curves with the EBC HH's with no such problem."

but get this...I did the new EBC HH rear pads the same time as mounting up the new qualifier tires...and the qualifiers are sticky as hell...so now I'm left wondering if maybe the fact that the qualifiers have awesome traction that it very well might be that very ultra high traction that's keeping the rear from locking up for me with the EBC HH's...litlle mind food there eh?
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

Replaced my rear pads at 11,000 mi., they were toast! I put on the same pads that you did, and I like them alot. Also went ahead a changed the fronts too before the busa bash although they had about half the wear left on them.

race.gif
I ride my '05 to work daily (10 min drive) with about 4700 miles on my bike and noticed today; when I installed my 3-9" swingarm I barely had any rear brake pad left. It is less than the thickness of a penny on each pad. I'll be changing them sometime this coming week before I tear the rotor up.

Thanks for the write up. Unfortunately, most of us don't think about the brakes until they start making noise.

I'm at 10K and it's time for a pad swap. We should check em during every tire change.

I'm at 10K and it's time for a pad swap. We should check em during every tire change.
Yep...and especially the rear pads as Don told me they are a rather small rear pad for such a large fast bike...and as such the rear pads will disappear in rather rapid fashion if ya use'em frequently...far moreso as compared to the lighter mainstream bikes.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Good looking out brother, I am constantly checking my pads because stopping this beast is critical but there are many taht don't think about it until they hear something or see sparks flying...
beerchug.gif

Rear Brake Pads
rock.gif
, yea I use'em , just the other day I had to stop for a Buffalo standing in the middle of the road
blush.gif
. Geezzzzzzz, it's wonderful living in NO-WHERE-LAND
laugh.gif

Back