6" over swingarm handling troubles?

69chevydr

Registered
Has anyone else had problems going into turns with a 6"or less stretched arm? I keep having problems with the rear tire sliding out especially on small bumps while in the turn.I've adjusted the rear shock several different times just cannot find the right settings. Have had different brand tires on also .When riding 2up though the problem isn't as severe.Wanted to do some drag racing but the streched arm is hindering the fun on the street.I am not even on the edge of the tire still about 5/8" left to edge. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_0822.JPG

Took mine w/ Ninja Killer down to Eureka Springs where the roads were a challenge compared to here at home and had a blast. My biggest problem was ground clearance, down 2" at both ends. Still running a stock rear shock,just some changes to settings that I made for the strip. also about 1/2" on the side but much farther isn't to good on the paint on the lower fairing. gotta give a little up when you stretch'em

pic; thanks to Capt. & Beth

IMG_7977.JPG

It seems to me that the stretched arm has taken some weight off the rear tire ,because with a passenger it seems to have the grip.Had a shock revalved and new spring for my weight and the extended arm .Bike is only lowered about 3/4"front and rear,any lower and undertail hits with passenger.Also didn't seem to have as much problem in the corners with stock rear shock but could not ride 2up it would bottom out.

It seems to me that the stretched arm has taken some weight off the rear tire ,because with a passenger it seems to have the grip.Had a shock revalved and new spring for my weight and the extended arm .Bike is only lowered about 3/4"front and rear,any lower and undertail hits with passenger.Also didn't seem to have as much problem in the corners with stock rear shock but could not ride 2up it would bottom out.
not to be funny, but riding by myself the drift was part of the fun, you just get used to it. (lots of time on dirtbikes)As for riding 2 up, I really cant say much about aggressive riding because of being that low, I just ride with in my setup so I don't bottom out,also Kris has a bad back(ruptured discs)so when she does ride with me I play it real cool so she'll keep riding with me. I'm not a real beleiver in the shock revalving thing, in stock trim, adjusted correctly,almost all modern bikes are capable of way more than most riders on the street. thats just my opinion, fork springs are a different story.

I had mine stretched 6over and it was planted in the turns. Somethings out of whack with your bike. Check your air pressure, shock settings and the tire itself. Have you applied any tire coating in the past?

When you have problems with the rear sliding out you would want to decrease throttle. Thats always the cause on my stock wheelbase bike(s) and im betting its yours also. The swing arm and the tire have stability and grip. Im betting on this.

Has anyone else had problems going into turns with a 6"or less stretched arm? I keep having problems with the rear tire sliding out especially on small bumps while in the turn.I've adjusted the rear shock several different times just cannot find the right settings. Have had different brand tires on also .When riding 2up though the problem isn't as severe.Wanted to do some drag racing but the streched arm is hindering the fun on the street.I am not even on the edge of the tire still about 5/8" left to edge. Any help is appreciated.
On my 06 LE, which I did a 5 inch stretch on, I had the same issue in corners. Like someone else said, it was purely the amount of throttle I was giving it in corners. I was riding it the same way stretched as I did stock length. A little less throttle while turning will give you that control back.
By the way, I now have a stock wheel base 07 blue. I am considering stretching it and lowering it 1" back and front.
Mo

I had mine stretched 6over and it was planted in the turns. Somethings out of whack with your bike. Check your air pressure, shock settings and the tire itself. Have you applied any tire coating in the past?
Air pressure is ok I check it everytime before I ride 40/front 38/rear.
Been trying to adjust rear shock but keep getting the same results in turns. Dunlop Qualifyers with less than 2k on them ,no coatings have ever been put on any of the tires.

When you have problems with the rear sliding out you would want to decrease throttle. Thats always the cause on my stock wheelbase bike(s) and im betting its yours also. The swing arm and the tire have stability and grip. Im betting on this.
Whenever I enter a turn I get to my desired speed before I start to enter the turn then I stay constant on the throttle I never accelerate in the turn. I didn't seem to have as much of a problem with the stock rear shock ,but couldn't ride 2up with it.

BigDiesel has an extended swingarm and has a modified suspension set up from HPC. he told me it's like night and day.

I am stretched 7" and lowered 1.25 front 1" rear. My bike sticks just fine in corners accept when tires are cold. But thats always true. I reset my susp front and rear after my stretch...sag, rebound, comp, preload, everything... I did order a new rear spring from Traxxion Dynamics though too. Still only 100 bux + shipping.

You can go back to stock. I'll even trade you swingarms.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
If you want your bike to corner decently, this is the best deal you'll find anywhere!

There is no real way to make your bike corner well with your current set up. The busa doesn't corner great in stock form. With your current set up it corners poorly at best. There are many factors to consider as the reason you loose rear traction on corners. There is not much you can do to correct the current geometry.

The first thing I would work on is rebound. It sounds as if your rebound may be to stiff. If it's to stiff it doesn't allow the rear tire to follow the down side of a bump and the tire will actually loose contact with the pavement. The more severe the bump the longer the tire will be airborne causing the tire to skip along the bumps. Bumps in consession will cause the rear to step out and in severe cases you can get what's called "Packing" and the rear suspension will actually bottom out as you encounter more consecutive bumps causing a total loss of traction.

Chasing problems like this can be extremely frustrating. Stretched and lowered bikes never perform well so you may be forced to lower your expectations a bit.

laugh.gif

Check tire pressure first. Then if you are using a stock rear shock you may want to consider a race shock (about $600.00). Usually not needed unless you are drag racing, but it will keep the line of the bike up during all riding. My personal advice is to take it easy on your bike in the corners, extended bikes are for the drag strip, not for the twisties. It can be done, and some do it very well (like GM Busa), but be careful, it is an accident waiting to happen if you ride it too aggressively in the corners.

Just my 2 cents.

P.

Your alittle high on the air pressures. Try 2lbs less in each at a time to see if it helps.

That charoal 08 looks perfect... wow very nice

Thats the exhaust I'm gonna get for mine or this one in this picture

HBR_hindle.jpg

That Busa looks awesome, Busa08.
bowdown.gif
Shorty exhaust a lot louder than long ones? Nice to see the whole wheel swingarm
ThumbsUp.gif
Can't help you there 69chevy I don't get aggressive in turns with my Busa even at stock length and settings. The sight of it laying down would hurt more than broken bones or road rash ever could. I'll catch up on the straights. There are no real curves in Miami anyway hehe

Back