2ND TIME @ DRAGSTRIP

RaynTerror

Registered
1st time i was doin 10.9 in the 1/4 now i was gettin mostly 10.5/10.6 here's my best time:
R/T -.056
60' 1.877
330 4.669
1/8 6.892
mph 110.25
1000 8.818
1/4 10.469
mph 135.95
i feel like like i'm givin her all she's got. i'm fightin her w/ everthin in me 2 keep the front wheel down. what do i have 2 do to get her down 2 10flat or high 9's? more practice???
maybe this info will help...
runnin 87 octane...keepin tank full
i'm 6'0" 225 lbs dressed
not usin clutch after launch
all stock but think i should be able 2 go faster..

by the way...the '04 zx-10 had 650 miles on it and ran a 10.650 and i ran a 10.599...it was close but it put a smile on my face
smile.gif

oh...i had a lot of other guys tell me to try runnin super premium gas 92/93 octane...but i'm kinda of skeptical bout that since my manual says 2 only run 87.

try using a lowering strap on the front, but dont torque it all the way down, some "pros" dont suggest the strap any more, you could also spend 75 dollars on lowering the bike all together it lowers your center of gravity---also you could drop your rear tire air pressure to like 10 or 12lbs that will help it hook up....your height and weight are not factors, and keeping the tank full only adds weight the obvious always apply in physics-less weight= more speed??? if you only put 93 or higher in for track use it will not effect long term riding.

Good Luck

Strap the front end down. Should be able to get 1-2 10ths from that. Your 60' ft time is what you should concentrate on. the strap will help. DON'T use a regualr tie-down. Get a purpose-built one from Schnitz ($25). Then, lower the rear, that will help as well. What tire pressure are you running? lower the rear tire to about 25psi. The harder you launch the quicker your times will be. You've already dropped it down quite a bit from last time, just practice, practice, practice. Good job so far, now just a little bit more. Of course, this is a never ending disease. Once you hit the high-9s, you will want mid-9s and then low-9s and the next thing you know, you've got a stretched-out, big-bore, turbo-nitous, monster on your hands, hah! good luck

been runnin recommendded tire pressure...havent let any of the air out of it...i'm gonna try 2 let some air out next trip.

oh...i had a lot of other guys tell me to try runnin super premium gas 92/93 octane...but i'm kinda of skeptical bout that since my manual says 2 only run 87.
run the lowest possible octane you can to get the most power.
Run 87 not the lowest you can find. There is still some 85 out in places. you don't want to use that. Yhea who ever told you to put in the high test does not have the facts down.

You need more practice getting it off the line. You are losing at least 2-tenths from the starting line until the 60'! Generally whatever you improve in the 60' will double OFF your 1/4-mile time(That's your 4-tenths right there)!

That would get you in the 10.0-9.9 by just learning to launch CORRECTLY! You also need to speed up your clutch less shifting to get your MPH up. You should be knocking on 140 MPH in the 1/4-mile!

Run 87-octane and 87-octane only on a stock Bore/Stroke bike PERIOD! Whoever is telling you guys this doesn't dyno bikes or Busa's!

You can try lowering tire pressure if you are having trouble hooking the rear tire up but if your not spinning yet, don't even mess with it. Once you get a little more radical on your launches and start to spin of the line, then drop the tire PSI!

Just get that clutch out faster and gas on sooner! You want the front tire to just skim if not hover around 1-2" off the ground. Try to slip the clutch LESS and LESS as you get more comfortable with the launch. You will know when you get the launch right because your 330' times will start to come down. You want to be in the 4.3-.4 range in the 330' and below 6.5 in the 1/8th-mile.

Now get out there and get that 9.9!
wink.gif

Josh
pirate.gif

P.S. Check out my posts in the 1/4-mile second for more tips on getting in the 9's!

i'm not spinnin at all launchin off the line so maybe i should leave the tire pressure alone for now.
i'm shiftin just past 10k....should i bring it up higher?
for the most part i'll keep workin on launching,60' times, etc.

Got-Busa? pretty much said everything. No need to lower tire pressure if you're not spinning because it causes more drag. Strap it, lower the rear, and practice,practice,practice!

depending on your year of the bike you can usually shift when you feel like the bike is not making any more power- just at the red is usually when it will feel funny to you....

you must be at one hell of a sticky track, at mine i spin threw the first 3 gears unless i drop my psi to 8 10 or 12 depending on weather conditions...wish i was where you are that your stick at normal psi!!!

r/t is the key, if you are ever going to do mods, you should start with lowering and strapping...then power commander, air box, possibly an air shifter....then stretch it, do them all sepratly so you can tell what effects each has, keep notes, and that info will be helpfull to the next rookie busa rider that comes along, i did about 3 major mods all on 1 day and have no idea what effectiveness each had....oops

keep going to the track its a sickness...nobody should be running close to you by next season, SEAT time is the biggest improvement any of us can make!!!

Good Luck

Don't let this race make you think you can beat all 10's...It's a contender and it's rider more that likely hasn't been to the track to get a real feel for it...Your 60' needs to be improved...If your going to stay semi stock for awhile I would recommend a gearing change 16/42...This will make your power quicker and drop 2-4 10ths itself...Strap the front end and lower the rear...Practice, practice practice...
evil.gif

So where did the idea to use 93 octane come from? I use 93 all the time and thought that was the way to go. Does this affect power?

the compression of a stock busa isn't high enough to take advantage of the higher octane.... you're just wasting your money.

i'm shiftin just past 10k....should i bring it up higher?
Every tach is different so I can't tell you exactly when to shift so go out and practice.

FUEL cut-off is like 10,850 or 10,800 so you want to get as close to that as you can without hitting the limiter.

With that in mind MY TACH reads 11,200(actually 10,850) when I shift. Try it at a few different RPM's but I beat your MPH will go up the higher you REV it!

Back