2103 Cold Start niggle

Telboy2000

Registered
Does anyone have an issue with the cold start of a GEN 2.

Mine has begun having a bit of a niggling issue...the bike starts on the button 1st time every time BUT 5 seconds or so after start up the idle drops to around 900rpm for about 10-15seconds before returning to about 1200rpm.
I never payed that much attention to the rpm originally but always thought they started around 1500 and dropped to 1200 as the engine warmed.
I also have a funny feeling its drinking a bit more fuel but I haven't been filling the tank lately, just small top ups so can't be sure.

How many miles on your bike? And has the weather got
a bit colder lately?

My 2011 does this as well. Mine does it a lot sooner than 5 seconds. More like 1 or 2 seconds after start. I figured it is just the cold oil in the pump dragging the engine down until it warms just a bit. I remember trying to turn a car's oil pump by hand and could not turn it very fast. That cold oil is THICK in a pump. It made me realize how much HP an oil pump can eat up. Still, I don't think a modern, fuel injected, ECU controlled engine should do this. It's never stalled because of this but I do have to wait for it to stabilize before I ride away.

What gets me about this is that my bro-in-laws 12' model and my old B-king don't /didn't do this.
The bike has 3200miles and yes the temps have generally dropped 10c and its a lot damper.
Its got me thinking about an oil / filter change as its been a weird year since the last service...a lot of wet/dirty/dusty miles.
Are there any sensors that could lead to this...the Gen 1 air temp sensor used to cause weird issues...haven't seen one on the Gen 2 but I assume its under there somewhere.

Have you checked if the throttle bodies are synced and the throttle position sensor? Have you checked for codes?

Try a good fuel injector cleaner, here in the States I use
Redline SI 1 once or twice a year to keep the system clean.
After you run a complete tank of fuel + cleaner through it
then one more tank of just fresh fuel...let us know how
it runs.

Try a good fuel injector cleaner, here in the States I use
Redline SI 1 once or twice a year to keep the system clean.
After you run a complete tank of fuel + cleaner through it
then one more tank of just fresh fuel...let us know how
it runs.

I run the Red line in my bike also works fairly well.

I think I found the cause...unintentionally.

I was doing the 'marble' mod this morning and on startup the niggle was gone...bike sounds/idles smoother and I can easily hear the the rpm drop as the engine warms.
All i can think is that the pair valve system is at fault somehow, maybe by letting air into the exhaust which in turn is messing with the emissions so the ecu alters the fuelling......thats just a guess though.

The bike runs so lean from the factory...have your fuel map
checked. Even a stock bike can benefit from a custom map
and a dyno tune.

same issue here. usually i just blip the throttle and clean it out. i think it just gets slighty loaded with fuel since the pump primes the engine. after i blip the throttle when my idle gurggles at the first start it goes right away to a clean cold idle

Back