idle speed up/down

zaidibronza

Registered
Hey, need help. Have 2003 Busa with yoshi cans/660 miles/ stock. It idles around 1200 rpm and after its warm it idles around 1600 rpm, going back to 1200rpm on occassion. It does this back and forth. Does anyone know what's going on?
all_coholic.gif

Philadelphia, PA

Couple of things..

As the bike warms up and sits it takes in the hot air in the sensor under the tank. It will come down once you are moving most likely. It should idle around 1500. move the sensor after a while to the front of the bike nder the front cowl.

thanks ninja eater. I will try that. I was worried something was going wrong with the bike. Oh, one more thing, what does the sensor look like and what does it sense. Excuse my ignorance.???

Mixture is too lean at idle.......

When the engine is hotter, it makes more power at idle (because a cold engine "wants" a richer micher and a hotter engine "wants" a leaner mixture) - Yours is set too lean - so the rpm goes up as it warms up.

Find a TEKA FI adjuster and have someone adjust your idle mixture - It does each one as the bike is running.
Can't do with a pc and really tough to do with a Yosh box.

You'll need to get the best mixture for the strongest idle on each cylinder, which a qualified machanic can do for you - then you'll probably have to lower the idle speed (because you'll now have an even higher idle) and the mysterious wandering idle, since the mixture will be better set for a warmed up engine - will be banished forever -

Cheers!

Marc

<!--EDIT|Marc Salvisberg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075607042 -->

Back