2008 Best liter bike for the track

TA_GunSurgeon

Donating Member
Registered
I was going to buy a 2008 gsxr-1000 to do track days woth, but sombody told me the new CBR 1000RR was better. Anyone that's ridden some of the 08 liter bikes looking for a little feedback before I make a purchase.

Dont know about those two, but the 08 ZX-10R is quite ugly and way to much un restricted power. A shop tech at my local dealership, rode one after uncrating it. He wasnt trying to to, but did a wheelie, and said that had he been a less experienced rider he would have easily siting in the street.

The GSXR is more than you'll use at the track for quite some time. The new Honda is very good too. You'll have to ride them and find the best fit for your build before you worry about magazine ratings.

just curious but isn't the trackside consensus that 1000's are overkill for MOST tracks? or is that just 600 rider's envy talking?

I just got a 08 zx10 ....Damn i was thinking my zx14 pulled hard but the zx10 tops it ... I'm NO track day rider so i can't tell you how it handles....But this thing  at 62 inch wheel base  with noting more than a front end strap is a killer ..5.87 @ 123 in the 1/8 mile .. Thats with STOCK pipe and NO P/C on 87 pump gas ..I have rode 07 Gixxers and they just don't hit as hard as this thing Does on the top end ... I'm not telling to buy one but if you get the chance you should ride one ...I'm not sure it would be a good track bike because the damn thing spends most of it time with the front wheel in the air ..It may just be to fast for the Avg track day rider ..

So should I go 600cc over 1000cc for the track.
One need look no further than the lap times from the recent AMA Fontana races. In the 600 Supersport race Bostrom, Zemke and Herrin were all turning consistent lap times that would have put them mid pack in the Superbike races. The Majority of guys who are riding Superbike are unable to truly utilize a Literbike most of the time. Every time I hear a story about this I think way back to when Kenny roberts brought over a couple of YZR500's for his WERA F-USA team (Rich Oliver and I think Robbie Peterson). The things were ferocious and were in fact far too much for most of the tracks they raced at. I was fortunate enough to see them race at Seattle that year. I think they also experimented with Yamaha 250's that were bored and stroked to nearly 350cc and even toyed with Nitrous on them to make up what they were losing on the straights to the pumped up GSXR1100's and the like. The point being that on most race tracks corner speed is paramount. Staightaway speed is nice to have but will not mask poor corner entry or exit speed.

Try a GSXR750 would be my advice.

I eat 1000s for lunch on my Honda 600RR. I raced a Honda RC51 before the 600RR & I can carry so much more corner speed w/ the 600. Unless you keep the throttle locked in every gear, you won't use the power of a 1000. Ultimately it will depend on the track & your suspension set up. Get what feels comfortable for you.

If you like stop and go riding, hard braking and hrad accel, get a 1000.

If you like corner speed, get a 600 or a 750.

My 750 is simply awesome!! All the corner speed of a 600 and more engine.

As far as brands, they're all good.

But the suzuki shares some of the same parts with the Hayabusa. For example, the oil filter is the same...

It sounds like you have never done a track day.
Just my .02 but you don't buy a "NEW" bike to do trackdays. Save yourself a lot of coin and buy an older 600 to do some trackdays if you are in the market for a trackday bike. Chances are it will be upgraded with suspension go fast goodies or track plastic. And you sill save save save $$$$$. Going down on a new bike is soooooooooooooooo expensive, and it sounds like you will be "learning". I am basing this because you asked "So should I go 600cc over 1000cc for the track."

I eat 1000s for lunch on my Honda 600RR. I raced a Honda RC51 before the 600RR & I can carry so much more corner speed w/ the 600. Unless you keep the throttle locked in every gear, you won't use the power of a 1000. Ultimately it will depend on the track & your suspension set up. Get what feels comfortable for you.
You race on a short track eh?

I've not seen any 600 that could compete with the 1000's unless it's a short track? Nor have I seen any track records set by 600's?

Getting off an RC51 onto a CBR600, would feel like a great improvement.

mega, charles, bigotool, tuf, and wwjd best summarized literbikes on the track. BTW-what tracks do you plan on riding?

I have a liter-06 1K and it is truly awesome for the big tracks I ride: (Miller 4.5 mile full, Ca Speedway-the point and shoot style charles refers to, and Willow Springs Big track 2.5 miles). I have done tracks like Pahrump's Spring Mountain 2.3 mile track, but it's the most challenging track I've ridden b/c it features ultra tight corners, decreasing radii turns, camber and off camber turns, elevation changes, etc. making setup changes on a small bike is already crucial. But LITER BIKE SETUP IS PARAMOUNT! I still haven't, to this day, found a setup which suits me and is confidence inspiring. But the other tracks I've mentioned I already have a decent baseline setting between the 3 tracks. I just adjust reb/comp settings and done! Also, with tracks as fast as willow, if you find the right lines, you can hold the throttle WFO almost the entire time!

The smaller tracks < 2 miles are difficult with a liter. You'd have better luck with a 600. Also, check with the WERA and CCS club racer boards as many racers sell off their older bikes (some as recent as an 07 gixxer). They'll already have the cool suspension, geometry, tire, and engine management upgrades and you can often times buy one for less than 9 grand. I personally wouldn't take a brand spanking new liter just for the track. Just ask me! I did it and have already been down several times. And IT WILL HAPPEN as you get faster. If you have any questions, lemme know.

Be careful buying a used racebike. Only buy from someone who is reputable. Full on racebikes need work done on them a few times during the season. Pick up Roadracing World Magazine's Trackday directory. They outline some pointers in buying used bikes for the track.

But if you're not out to set track records and you really want a bike you can trust, new is definitely an option. I bought my 750 brand new. Its a nice peice of mind to know the bike underneath you is safe and reliable.

I remember a mag saying..FOR MOST PEOPLE.. a 750 would be the better buy. They were saying the 750 can out handle the 1000's, and out power the 600's. Again that's for MOST riders.

Back