2000 Hayabusa Cranks But No Start When Warm

Hard to say,
all you can do is start with eliminating the possible fueling 'vapor lock' (cavitation, to be technically accurate in description of fault) issue by adequately insulating the fuel pump and assessing any improvement after that.
It's the process of elimination, starting with the most accessible and easiest problem area to look at.
Step by step, little by little . . that is how Mt Everest was conquered ( by a KIwi no less lol)
Yes thats what Ive been doing. About 2-3 hours a day I will mess with it. I have another Busa. Its an 06, so I guess I'll jusy ride it until I figure it out lol
Attached a photo of my 2006 as well

IMG_2957.jpeg

Most likely NOT a ECU or sensor issue.
But start with insulating your fuel pump.
Im gonna find some heat resistant insulation. But I did noticed when it doesnt start that the fuel pump is not even warm. I can hold it forever bc there really is no heat to it

Did the bike not start just prior to you loosening the hose clamp?

It sounds like it's vapor locking and if I'm not mistaken, the gen 1s with the external pump do this because they get hot....the later models have internal pumps and the immersion in gasoline keeps them cool.....

It might be worth the effort to do the conversion to an internal pump?

Do you live in a hot area?
I live in Arkansas in the U.S.
But its been like 60-70 degrees when Ive been riding it. This happens all the time with cold or warm weather.

I live in Arkansas in the U.S.
But its been like 60-70 degrees when Ive been riding it. This happens all the time with cold or warm weather.
You have a real stumper on your hands....it appears each and every avenue has been covered yet the issue still exists....

It's got to be something simple yet hard to diagnose...

You have a real stumper on your hands....it appears each and every avenue has been covered yet the issue still exists....

It's got to be something simple yet hard to diagnose...
Yes most definately. It has to be something really weird and simple bc when it starts it runs like a top. I mean like a raped ape lol

Yes most definately. It has to be something really weird and simple bc when it starts it runs like a top. I mean like a raped ape lol
It can sure be frustrating...

I chased a gremlin on one of my low mileage carbureted GSXRs one time....it was driving me crazy until one day I pulled the carb bank as a last ditch attempt to keep my sanity and found one of the main jets was on it's last thread causing the issue...I tightened it up, checked the others, put it back together and it ran perfectly....

Your issue will be similar, something simple and a face-palm finish...

Wow. A terrific group effort.

I had a C10 years ago that came with the fuel line routed in the frame next to the headers. On a hot day, I would park it and come back to a fuel smell and a flooded motor. A much simpler problem to diagnose.

When was the last time you saw an ape get raped?
wouldn't want to be around . . .
I bet they get pretty angry if it happens lmao.

The coils showed fire with a test light, so that leaves the fuel; does it smell flooded?
Because if not, you have you gremlin, and it's fuel.
That bike will smell like a flooded carburetted V8 within a couple of failed/no fire no start conditions.
The external pumps are famous for problems too, which is why Suzuki put them in the tank the next model year, and after.

The coils showed fire with a test light, so that leaves the fuel; does it smell flooded?
That bike will smell like a flooded carburetted V8 within a couple of failed/no fire no start conditions.
The external pumps are famous for problems too, which is why Suzuki put them in the tank the next model year, and after.

I test light the coils with the ignition on and all 4 of them had power. It doesn't really smell flooded or anything. But when its running It seems to be a little fat (rich) but doesnt really smoke or blow black smoke out or anything.
I think Im down to the point where I agree with alot if you guys. I think it has to he something with the fuel pump breaking down. It was rebuilt and redone not long ago but it could just be a turd and nothing will help it. Can I connect an external guage for fuel pressure somewhere on the bike like I can do on a car??? If so, can you tell me how?
Thanks

I had issues with my fuel pump in the '99 when I first acquired the bike, it would not get over 8k rpm under load, and overhauled it as I've said.
Never had a problem since, 70,000kms she's done since then!
Also never had any problems with the coils either and I'm pretty sure they are the originals since new.
Maybe I just got lucky lol

I had issues with my fuel pump in the '99 when I first acquired the bike, it would not get over 8k rpm under load, and overhauled it as I've said.
Never had a problem since, 70,000kms she's done since then!
Also never had any problems with the coils either and I'm pretty sure they are the originals since new.
Maybe I just got lucky lol
My bike doesnt have any issue going to the high RPMS. Well at least when its running lol. I hit 175mph on it a couple weeks ago and it had more left in it....oops maybe I shouldn't have put that much info down....and my coils I bet are original as well. My bike has 23,XXX miles on it

@dpc467

ur issue, in my view, may be the fuel hoses - they CAN! kink (only at the ´99 & ´00 with ext. pump) when getting warm - thatfor suzuki brought the extension #1 (for the ´00 - see ´n read my att. ) where they describe what faulty hose(s) are used in the ´99 (and in the early months of ´00) and by whatthey should be replaced .

so download the manual plus its extensions - all here and read
and WATCH how they show the correct lining of the fuel hoses in att. to this post !

if the hose gets warm it kinks and the engine won´t get the correct volume of fuel . that´s a fact . see my homepage here.

to the melted regulator´s connector

lift also the tank and watch the 3-point-conn. coming from the generator and goes to the 3 yellow wires -

+ watch ´n read
my page #1 - here

and #2 - here (what u allr. fixed)

and #3 - here

Attachments

• ´99-´00 MANUAL - fuel system ext. ´00.pdf
    660.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
@Kiwi Rider

yeah man

these are, among other things, our problems / issues here in Europe with the busas .

and I've probably fixed the mess with the fuel hose more than 2 dozen times

and also the crap with the generator/regulator plugs.

and I've probably repaired the mess with the fuel hose more than 2 dozen timesand

also the crap with the lima/regulator plugs.

@Kiwi Rider

yeah man

these are, among other things, our problems / issues here in Europe with the busas .

and I've probably fixed the mess with the fuel hose more than 2 dozen times

and also the crap with the generator/regulator plugs.

and I've probably repaired the mess with the fuel hose more than 2 dozen timesand

also the crap with the lima/regulator plugs.
Do you run stock OEM fuel hoses?
I see they are pre-formed with the correct bends in them to prevent kinking when the tank is lowered into position.
Also, are you running OEM stator and voltage reg?

Do you run stock OEM fuel hoses?
I see they are pre-formed with the correct bends in them to prevent kinking when the tank is lowered into position.
Also, are you running OEM stator and voltage reg?
fuel hoses :
4 sure - only the originals from suzuki !!!

nothing else .

but when laid wrong way the hose from tank to pump can still kink !!!
it has to be lead round the hose from gearbox to airfilter box !!
watch my attachement above with "eagle´s eyes" .

stator / reg ?

4 the stator i found a seemingly best fitting - not original - one

the reg. i use ? - at my ´00 the one from the honda XX firebird is mounted with full success ! - see my page here

the reg. i use ? - at my ´00 the one from the honda XX firebird is mounted with full success ! - see my page here
Yeah, I'm using a reg from a 2005 GSXR750K5, fits with no modifications to connector plugs, charges the battery at 13.9v.
My original reg was useless, was getting hot and charge rate was only 12.9v.

I'm using generic reinforced fuel hose with hose clips (jubilee type clips)
The hoses have never kinked, they are long enough to form a circle.
Also, with my fuel tap, I've cut a slot in it (where the handle would usually be in any other fuel tap) with a small cut off wheel fitted in a die grinder. . . allows me to use a screw driver to turn the tap off when removing the tank.

Last edited:
@Kiwi Rider

jo gregg

at my ´00 i use the XX-reg because that way i can ensure , that the voltage never will go over 14.5 V .
and caused by that experiance i remind

if u wanna use a lithium (lifepo4) battery ,
the border-voltage of 14.8V is an absolute must - the lifepo4 never! can stand more than 14.9 V (longer period)

based on these previous positive experiences with my 2000 Busa, I actually recommend that everyone install this XX controller - at ALL Gen1 ('99-'07)!
(as far as i know this conversion is not yet necessary for the Gen2)

the tech. drawing 4 gen1 is available - in english - by this link

Last edited:
@dpc467

ur issue, in my view, may be the fuel hoses - they CAN! kink (only at the ´99 & ´00 with ext. pump) when getting warm - thatfor suzuki brought the extension #1 (for the ´00 - see ´n read my att. ) where they describe what faulty hose(s) are used in the ´99 (and in the early months of ´00) and by whatthey should be replaced .

so download the manual plus its extensions - all here and read
and WATCH how they show the correct lining of the fuel hoses in att. to this post !

if the hose gets warm it kinks and the engine won´t get the correct volume of fuel . that´s a fact . see my homepage here.

to the melted regulator´s connector

lift also the tank and watch the 3-point-conn. coming from the generator and goes to the 3 yellow wires -

+ watch ´n read
my page #1 - here

and #2 - here (what u allr. fixed)

and #3 - here

Fuel lines have been replaced with high pressure high grade lines. I removed the fairing to watch as I sat the tank down and no kinks at all. This was all I done recently. Also, the wiring to the rectifier and stator has been repaired already as well. There is NO issue charging at all

Back