2000 busa feels like skipping teeth in 4th gear only

Johntx200

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out, I have a 2000 busa with 23k on it, all of a sudden 4th gear feels like it's skipping teeth, checked chain and sprockets, all looks good and adjusted correctly.

I have read issues of this happening in 1st and 2nd but never 4th?!

Could this be the clutch slipping as revs increase while no acceleration happens or is it likely that I need to have the gearbox rebuilt

Thanks in advance

Welcome, I see this is your first post...

Is this only happening in 4th gear?

Have you changed the oil lately? If not, maybe do that and look for filings, if a gear got chewed up, there'd be filings I believe.

Put it on a race stand and without starting it, put it in 4th and move the rear tire and listen to the transmission, you may hear grinding if any metal is getting in the teeth.

It is indeed my first post, only had the busa since February, I will do that now, oil looked OK in there but I will drop it and take a look, yes only 4th gear is effected, 5th and 6th no issue, is got bad very quickly as I came home checked chain, and sprockets went back out and it was not nice at all, occasionally slips like it feels 1 or 2 teeth then a BIG slip. Will take a look very soon

It is indeed my first post, only had the busa since February, I will do that now, oil looked OK in there but I will drop it and take a look, yes only 4th gear is effected, 5th and 6th no issue, is got bad very quickly as I came home checked chain, and sprockets went back out and it was not nice at all, occasionally slips like it feels 1 or 2 teeth then a BIG slip. Will take a look very soon
Sounds like it spun a gear....will need a tranny rebuild most likely

May have to drop the oil pan and take a look.

Not looking promising I guess?

16002810593462840416824517933678.jpg

I've never seen anything on my magnetic drain plug.

I was going to ask about installing aftermarket levers but if it's only 4th gear and not any others, I would say you are on the right path with a damaged 4th gear.

I've never seen anything on my magnetic drain plug.

I was going to ask about installing aftermarket levers but if it's only 4th gear and not any others, I would say you are on the right path with a damaged 4th gear.
No aftermarket levers or rearsets, there was also some swarf in a paint filter I strained the oil through to see what was in there.

Anybody have experience of this: https://store.schnitzracing.com/schnitz-racecut-transmission-suzuki-hayabusa-99-07/
Or other options?

:welcome: to the Org. Sorry to hear about the issue. My Busa went from showroom floor to builder for complete tear down for turbo.All race cut gears installed. No issues,I believe its worth it as it sounds like you'll be going it there anyway.
Tuff break,I feel yer pain.
Rubb.

No aftermarket levers or rearsets, there was also some swarf in a paint filter I strained the oil through to see what was in there.

Anybody have experience of this: https://store.schnitzracing.com/schnitz-racecut-transmission-suzuki-hayabusa-99-07/
Or other options?

It's something I've hear dabout and plan to do someday. In a way, we're lucky because we get try it. What sucks is replacing expensive OEM stuff that should have lasted a lifetime with new OEM items. Fairings would be the main example.

Not looking promising I guess?

View attachment 1626582

yes i guess your´e right with your apprehension / fear

that in deed looks as if some teeth of the trans "lost a bit of metal". (demaged gear wheel(s) )

to get a view into trans,
without pulling the entire motor,
you first can pull the bike in front to 45° (like on the foll. pic)

DSC_0051-2.jpg

then put off the exhaust "manifold" (and radiators)
and then you can put off the oil pan .

and yes the repair will be expensive especially if new parts are to be used.
and some 15-18 hours will pass before all is correct again.

my hint was to look for and use a complete preowned transmission including all gear forks and so on.
sometimes it is offered for around 350-400 € in ebay.

look around at your isle if you can find helping hands when you can´t do the repair yourself.
as far as i remember you have a lot of hayabusas there.
or you join the "german" forum with its english under-forum at "hayabusaclub.com"

Last edited:
Back