2 year old boy drowned in the river

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
sad.gif
A 2 year old boy wandered out of his house and slipped into the river. I am the Vice President of our Counties Dive Rescue team and spent 2 days diving the river to find him. Unfortunately we were not sucessful in our task and could not locate the body for the family. I can't imagine what the family must be going through, knowing that there child is still in the river behind their home. These are the types of calls that never leave you. Interesting article if you have a moment to read it. Since my name and photo ended up on the front page, I owe ice cream for the Dive Team and at the Fire Station, OUCH.
http://news.bellinghamherald.com/stories....7.shtml
http://news.bellinghamherald.com/stories....0.shtml

I commend you and your team for volunteering to do this kind of work for your community! Also, I pray for the family of this small child..............

You did all that you could Justin; certainly takes a special type of person to do a job like that to begin with...I hate to see stories like this...that little boy's family is going through pure hell right now...there's nothing worse...
sad.gif

Sorry to hear about the family's loss, that is a tradgedy.

I commend you and your dive rescue team for your efforts. I'm working on more certifications and will become a member of our county dive resue this Summer. I'm not sure how I'll handle finding a body...might be the last rescue dive I do, but I'll try to cope with it when it happens. Saw a lot of stuff on the Fire Dept, but it wasn't a surprise that pops out at you in murky/black water.

Tell you dive team thanks for their work from me.

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074283967 -->

thats just sad
im sorry to hear about anybody losing a kid
but its even worse to hear about someone not being able to find thier child in the river behind their home.

thats a feeling i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy.

I couldn't do what you do. My hearts out to the family. Keep the spirits up, we need folks like yourself & your team.

Thanks for the comments and it's a challenge to be sure. I actually destroyed about half my gear on this mission, lot's of steel, cable, junk, etc, in the river.

stkr00 - Glad to hear your pursuing this. It has been my experience that people are capable of far more than they think. Having FD experience will help you but your right, it is different. Just remember it is not a macho I'm not afraid of anything process. It sometimes tests every nerve you have and can be extremely frightening. I would not want to dive with someone that this didn't have those effects on, probably a dangerous cowboy diver. I just try to remember the family we are doing it for and use those emotions to keep the anxiety of the task at hand in check.

Thanks again for the compliments guys, that's the payment that always makes it worth while!
smile.gif

Justintime2 - It takes a very special person to do such an important job.  

I cannot even imagine the heartache that family must be feeling.  My heart goes out to them.

I have always wanted to do something more with my life and have thought about being a social worker of some type.  I just feel like I want to help people, children in general.  The only thing that's kept me from pursuing it is having to go home with the feeling of total loss when I'm not able to help someone.  I don't know if I could live with that, I don't know if I'm that strong of a person.  So, kudos to you for being that person.  

beerchug.gif

Kris

Very sad news. I was a volunteer Firefighter for about four years when I lived in CT and had the misfortune to watch two infants being pulled out of a car that went into a pond. It is not an easy job.

I have always wanted to do something more with my life and have thought about being a social worker of some type.  I just feel like I want to help people, children in general.  The only thing that's kept me from pursuing it is having to go home with the feeling of total loss when I'm not able to help someone.  I don't know if I could live with that, I don't know if I'm that strong of a person.  So, kudos to you for being that person.
busababe813,

Strength can come from experience but it can be tough no matter how long you have been at it. In Novemeber 2003 after two horable calls in a row with the FD, one a 1 month old killed by drinking and driving and the other a 43 year old mother who burned to death on her birthday when her home cought on fire, I started having problems. I was the EMT treating the first one and the incident commander on the second. For whatever reason I fell apart and had to go through a critical incident stress debriefing with a support officer. I could not sleep, was having nightmares and had some severe anxiety. You never know when it will hit you or with what kind of call, and this just seemed to be the right combination for me, which brought out alot of emotions from other calls I thought I had moved on from.

Don't pass on a dream because you are unsure of your abilities, your passion for public service and child wellfare will help you find a way. And occasionally there is a reward you never expected that will keep you going until the next.
smile.gif

Strength can come from experience but it can be tough no matter how long you have been at it. In Novemeber 2003 after two horable calls in a row with the FD, one a 1 month old killed by drinking and driving and the other a 43 year old mother who burned to death on her birthday when her home cought on fire, I started having problems. I was the EMT treating the first one and the incident commander on the second. For whatever reason I fell apart and had to go through a critical incident stress debriefing with a support officer. I could not sleep, was having nightmares and had some severe anxiety. You never know when it will hit you or with what kind of call, and this just seemed to be the right combination for me, which brought out alot of emotions from other calls I thought I had moved on from.

Don't pass on a dream because you are unsure of your abilities, your passion for public service and child wellfare will help you find a way. And occasionally there is a reward you never expected that will keep you going until the next.
smile.gif
Thanks for the inspiration.  I admire all kinds of people but especially when you give so unselfishly of yourself to feel the need to reach out to others...that's the kind of person I'd like to be.

I think that we don't realize what kind of people we actually are or how strong we are until we're put to the test.  Luckily there are people waiting to help you on the other end when it all becomes too much.   I believe that being in public service will make you a better person even if it leaves you with emotional scars, they will heal and you will be a little stronger the next time.

If you want to make a difference, you will...like you have.  Maybe I should listen to myself and go do it.

Keep up the good work...you've earned your wings.

Ciao,
Kris    
beerchug.gif

Back