1st Valve Adjustment At 67000miles Here Is What I Found (pics)

I agree, the dealerships are terrible. It is not so much the inventory that scares me, but rather the skill sets. Scary stuff.

I’m willing to bet money that I couldn’t find an air filter for the busa at any Suzuki dealership around me. Like others said, is the actual service that scares me off. For example, sister has a civic that she has always taken to Honda for service. Yesterday I offered to change the oil for her (done 3 relative’s vehicles this week alone), but Honda seems to have robocop working part time tightening filters for them!! I spent about an hour and couldn’t get it off due to the pan being too close to the filter and as deep as the filter itself, so no room for the strap type filter wrench with all the other components in the area. I’m sure the “mechanic’s” ears are still ringing from everything I said while trying to get it off. Next step would be to just stab the filter with a screwdriver and take it off. I honestly think some jobs can be done better by an unfamiliar owner following a YouTube video than some of these “techs” at big dealerships. I’ll just keep ordering my parts online and doing the work myself if posible.

View attachment 1577795 View attachment 1577797 View attachment 1577798 View attachment 1577799 View attachment 1577800 oringal owner bought with 0 miles (2011 busa) she has never had valve cover off never changed plugs as far as the engine changed air filters (oem) change oil & filter every 5000 miles mobil 1 4t full syntheic suz oil filter i use the busa for commuting and joy riding i hit redline often and a lot of top end pulls the bike is stock here is what i found plugs look great on the intake side THEY WERE IN SPEC on the min. side on the exhaust side they were in spec ALL BUT 2 and they were way to tight filler gauge .003 wouldnt go under so parts are order put her back together this weekend so for u guys who dont abuse your ride dont worry about valve adjustment until 30000 or more miles timing chain tension is a trick to check but the manual tells you how:thumbsup: for the guys who live on the redline check them at proper intervalsView attachment 1577802

View attachment 1577793

View attachment 1577796
And here I was complaining about having to do fork seals. :banghead: !!! That’s a good amount of disassembly needed to get to the valves.

I believe in OEM filters unless you are only racing. You do not need to change it so often that it costs you a whole lot and you have piece of mind that it is doing its job. If you want to change out your race filter for an OEM, it is a reasonable amount of work for such a basic procedure (lifting the fuel tank and opening the air box). I just ordered an OEM air filter from my dealership. I have a BMC race but I don't know if I'll ever use it.

Like others said, is the actual service that scares me off. For example, sister has a civic that she has always taken to Honda for service. Yesterday I offered to change the oil for her (done 3 relative’s vehicles this week alone), but Honda seems to have robocop working part time tightening filters for them!! I spent about an hour and couldn’t get it off due to the pan being too close to the filter and as deep as the filter itself, so no room for the strap type filter wrench with all the other components in the area.

If you have not already tried it, use a quality filter socket. The stamped metal ones are good for a couple hard turns and then they expand and slip. I have done the screwdriver trick but make sure you miss the threaded pipe the filter goes on as I'm sure you know.

Yes, hand tight + 1/8 turn is enough to seal and if it isn't, turn it a bit more. I have never had an oil filter leak. They are hard to take off even when the installation instructions are followed which is exactly how I install them on my bikes.

[QUOTE If you want to change out your race filter for an OEM, it is a reasonable amount of work for such a basic procedure (lifting the fuel tank and opening the air box).[/QUOTE]

Bloody B-King has around a doz panels with plenty of screws and push pins + numerous plugs and hoses to un couple, then unbolt the airbox off inlets so you can split apart on the bench :mad:. Its a right pita compared to the Busa.

BUT the oil filter is easy peasy to remove and change:thumbsup: , dunno whats worse - Busa oil filter or B King air filter...:crazy:

If you have not already tried it, use a quality filter socket. The stamped metal ones are good for a couple hard turns and then they expand and slip. I have done the screwdriver trick but make sure you miss the threaded pipe the filter goes on as I'm sure you know.

Yes, hand tight + 1/8 turn is enough to seal and if it isn't, turn it a bit more. I have never had an oil filter leak. They are hard to take off even when the installation instructions are followed which is exactly how I install them on my bikes.
The stamped is what I have and have always used successfully, but you are right, maybe I need to spend on a better one before I stab the filter. I wanted to take it to honda and give them an ear full, but I rather not. My busa was reluctantly dropped off at the shop for warranty work on rectifier and the dumb numbs couldn’t even do that job right. I got home and my belly wing had melted becasue they left the bolts loose and it contacted my exhaust. That’s what....? Like a 4 bolt and 1 connector job? Smh

I have only used the stamped ones, myself. They are cheap enough to run to the auto supply for a new one every couple years.

Another thing I have done with success is to use a strap type wrench and a socket at the same time. This was when the the strap wrench was crushing the filter. The socket took up some of the torque. Might work for you too.

I've used a K&N filter since 06 and the convenience of the end nut makes removal a cinch using a ratchet wrench.

Back