170 RWHP WILL GET YOU 200 MPH.

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Here's a little conjecture on what it would take to get the average 194 mph Busa up to the 200 mph mark.

The 217 MPH British nitrous LSR Busa was dynoed (many times) at 250+ RWHP. This is 96 HP more than the average stock Busa, a horsepower increase of 62% to achieve a speed increase (from 194 to 217 mph) of 12%.

Since HP requirements increase geometrically as speed increases, let's assume that 2/3 of that 96 extra HP would have been used to gain the last 1/3 of the 23 mph increase. This means that 64 horsepower would have been used to go from 209 to 217 mph.

It took 32 HP, then, to take the Busa from 194 MPH to 209 MPH. Applying the same 1/3 - 2/3 formula to this 15 mph gain, we get 1/3 of the extra 32 HP, or 11 HP being required to pull the Busa from 194 to 199 mph.

Being conservative, it would be VERY SAFE to say that it should take no more than 15 horsepower over stock, or 170 RWHP to get you to 200 MPH.

Why then, did it take Turbo Rick 200 RWHP to go 202 mph? Well, the conditions at Bonneville Salt Flats were less than ideal. He was spinning his tire trying to find traction at 210 mph. Gawd knows how fast he coulda gone on dry pavement.

Ideal conditions means flat, smooth hi-traction pavement and 70 degree temperatures at or below sea level.

If 170 RWHP is accurate, then 200 mph should be quite achievable without NO2 or internal engine mods. (I'm sure the Scandanavian engineers will kill for this sloppy thinking.)

If you're one of the lucky guys who got a 160 HP stocker, a great pipe and the airbox box might just do it for you.

TeamHayabusa posted that he's got 167 RWHP...he may already be able to do the double ton or damn near.

The Nemesis rumors are for 220 mph at 490 pounds and 235 crank hp? Ain't gonna happen...not when it took 251 RWHP to drive a Busa to 217.

ZX12 doing 200 with such tiny incremental improvements and no aeros?

Rumors are dust. Busas rock.

Pete-
Turbo Rick had stock pipes on his stock bussa'-(air box mod, cams, fresh pistons) the bike was in his own words ready to run 210mph or more-Lets hear it for Turbo Rick! - Wait till he finishes the No2 bussa'-
ducmanic

Is this what happens to Busa owners when they put the bike away for the winter ?? :) :) Sounds too much like hard work all that thinking !

that 217mph busa had only about a mile to get up to speed. the mag" i got with that story says that the busa was still pulling hard as it went though the speed traps. the rider also said that with a bit more distance he figured that the bike would do 225-230mph

maniac

Well Pete if you want to say that 170 hp will get you to 200 then I am proud to tell you that the stock Hayabusa has at least 170 at the rear wheel if you calculate the ram air.what do you think?

DP, only fishing !! Thought that if FC161 gets such a kick out of it I should give it a try !
How about some more math to pass the time away ? You currently have posted a whopping 989 posts in hayabusa.org, ranging from witty one liners to white papers on cylinder head thermal efficiency !! How much time does that equate to ? :) ? I gave you an estimated average of 2 mins a post, that equates to 32 hours 58 minutes spent just posting here !!
Hope you are doing this in company time and not wasting that precious time you could be spending on the Worlds best bike :)

Gixxer1300r: Your point is well and properly observed. But since all my numbers are based on static dyno runs, including the Brit nitrous bike's dyno runs, the guideline still applies. You still need to get 170 dyno RWHP to go 200 mph. Since dyno runs are the only effective way to measure and quantify power gains, that's got to be the figure to go by, right?

Dazee: I'm not the only Member pushing 1,000 posts here. Check out KawAbuser's numbers. And there are others. IS THERE SOMETHING INTRINSICALLY WRONG WITH POSTING FREQUENTLY? I write for a living, so putting my thoughts in words is something that comes very quickly to me. And I know of no other place where I can discuss Busa-related stuff with 500 other obsessive-compulsives. I've learned a lot on this forum, and I hope I've given others a little help and something to think about from time to time. As long as I remain on a steep learning curve and have something worth contributing, I'll probably keep 'a typin'.

Please don't fret for me, Dazee. I've ridden my Busa 13,500 km or 8,500 miles so far this summer, including a lot of track time.

Well Pete,does it take 170 hp to go 200mph?I think it all depends on Aerodynamics.For example-to do 175 mph the ZX11 used 131 horsepower but for the CBRXX to do the same speed to needed 137 horsepower(I've seen test data on this).The Top speed for the Hayabusa has been 194 mph,but how much horsepower dod that bike have?Atmospheric conditions have alot to do with it also.

Yep Gixxer, I think 170 for the aerodynamic Busa to make 200 is right in line with the horsepower and speed figures you quoted for those other bikes, as long as those figures are RWHP dyno figures.

We hear a lot of stories of people making or passing 200 mph on a stocker. The 200.2 mph Brit pass DID happen, with a tail wind. The latest story is reported by AMA Superbike as being 208 mph...yeah sure. But the hard truth is that the Busa needs more muscle to consistently and effortlessly hit 200. Unless someone's got a better formula, I figure it needs 15 RWHP worth of muscle.

And 15 RWHP is not that tough to get from a Busa motor.

only 15rwhp? Can that be attained with only the airbox mods and perhaps slip-ons? I too saw the supposed stock busa 208mph run on the ama site. It might be possible that its ligit. Keep in mind that every machine of the same make can be a little different. One might make a little more torque, and less hp, and vice versa. No two machines are the exact same. Forgive any typo's i made. Screwed up on nyquil and sudifed here. Damn cold has nailed me and i missed a days work and pay. Looks like my busa is going to be much tougher to get... :(
speed

I thought we had determined that the 208 mph reference on the AMA site was in reference to Turbo Rick and was an error?

PS - Get well soon speeddemon. Nyquil geltabs keep me going when I'm really sick - masks the symptoms for hours. Try the daytime Nyquil geltabs(orange) and see if you can work if you're losing pay.(no sick days?) Agreed - some Busas make more power than others in stock configurations. I've noticed up to approx 10hp difference between stock Busas according to dyno figures. (different dynos, different days - thus approx.)

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 27 October 1999).]

Back