11.55@110mph 1/4 mile electric car.

Aint nothin got torque like a battery. I use to work in a chevrolet/cadillac service department and did some PDI's on the new hybrid tahoes and escalades. Those things were considerably faster than the standard gas ones.

thats cool :thumbsup:, but what the cost for all the neat electric goodies? i bet its more than $10 thousand

thats cool :thumbsup:, but what the cost for all the neat electric goodies? i bet its more than $10 thousand

Its closer to $30 or more, but with any technology trying to gain market share, the prices will drop considerable as it approaches main stream.

Yes truwrecks, the lead batteries are an environmental problem. As is ditching your old car for a Prius and thinking you'd actually be helping the environment.

But, once people can see there is an alternative to combustion engines (there has been since cars came around 100 years ago) AND this alternative costs the same or less then the current trend, you'll have people seriously considering it.

Once there is enough support to move a mass of people away from fuel and onto the power grid, then the next project is moving the power grid from coal to a cleaner alternative.

So step 1, cleaner cars
Step 2, cleaner grid

They need to find a good storage system that isn't loaded with deadly toxins. Solar also needs to be better utilized. It's free and will be around much longer than humans. The manufactures need to work on developing good fully electric cars that are powerful, quick, cost effective and have more than 200 miles range on one charge. I can't even drive to visit any of my family with the current electrics. It would take my two days to drive the 275 miles because I would need to stop and recharge the batteries along the way. Hybrids are better than full gas cars if you don't spend a lot of time at freeway speeds. I commute on motorcycles so I would want something more suited to longer trips.

I'm sure we will see better technologies coming mainly because the big 3 will be forced to improve their designs and lower the cost of ownership so they can stay competitive.

The Chevy volt will be a pretty good start to better hybrids. 45 miles on pure electric power, then only sipping gas to run a generator to charge the batteries. Plug it in when you get home and you've got another 40 miles of fuel free driving. Infinity miles to the gallon if you drive less than 40 miles at a time. Otherwise you're still lookin at about 150-200 miles per gallon. . .

They need to find a good storage system that isn't loaded with deadly toxins. Solar also needs to be better utilized. It's free and will be around much longer than humans. The manufactures need to work on developing good fully electric cars that are powerful, quick, cost effective and have more than 200 miles range on one charge. I can't even drive to visit any of my family with the current electrics. It would take my two days to drive the 275 miles because I would need to stop and recharge the batteries along the way. Hybrids are better than full gas cars if you don't spend a lot of time at freeway speeds. I commute on motorcycles so I would want something more suited to longer trips.

I'm sure we will see better technologies coming mainly because the big 3 will be forced to improve their designs and lower the cost of ownership so they can stay competitive.

Truwrecks, you'd be surprised at how far you can go on an electric. The EV1, a GM car that was actually in consumer hands back in the late 90s was capable of 100 miles on a charge. A lot of people don't realize that 90% of people only drive 60 miles in a full day to and from work and all their errands.

Another thing they don't realize is that these batteries will take a half charge in 1 hour. So even if you want to visit your inlaws 200 miles away, when you stop for lunch, you'll have the opportunity to plug it in and get the boost you need.

The way we think as a society, is if it can't meet ALL my needs, then its worthless as a concept. When we should realize it can do 90% of our driving, and maybe for the times you want to go on a long trip, you rent a car for that purpose. (I'm just thinking in general, not your specific circumstance)

Its a goal of mine to build and use an electric car for daily transport by the end of this year. And I'm thinking of something like this drag car in this thread, not a prius plug in or other marketing gimmick.

There had better be some good short circuit protection. Would also imagine some very good heat sinking would be required. Not putting it down. Looks like a lot of fun.:coolcool:

Back