'05 Idle Screw Fix

Do you think it would work to put washers on both ends of the spring so it doesn't ride directly against the idle screw or the housing? Washers might allow the spring to do whatever it wants while not upsetting the idle screw. Since the spring is only there to apply unidirectional force to the screw (straight out), the washers might isolate it enough to do it's job. Worth a try! Thanks for the idea.

Should do the trick also as long as the washers don't clutch. I think that going beyond the idle speed then dialing down to it would also torsionally load the spring in the helpful direction.

Good Luck.

My easy fix was to adjust the idle where you want it, then use rtv silicone on the knurled end of the screw and use enough so it connects to the throttle body. There's only about 1/4" between the 2 parts. Its been on there for 4000 miles with no problems

Need to adjust mine again 3rd time. Once the advance idle switch doesn't keep it at 1200 I have to do the adjustment. Getting old.

Finally got my bike out of the shop on Saturday. They had it for a week, and this was the seventh visit for the same idle screw problem. They replaced the tension spring and the idle screw, and when they installed it, they put a washer at each end of the spring to try to keep it from turning the screw under engine vibration. They set the idle at 1200 rpm's and then put red locktite on the screw. I have ridden about 400 miles since the fix and the idle has only dropped to about 1100 and is now holding. I will take it out for a long ride this weekend to see how it holds up. More later.

One answer guys...Loctite RED. If that don't do it, throw it out and get an 06!
super.gif

One answer guys...Loctite RED.  If that don't do it, throw it out and get an 06!
super.gif
Just a question, doesn't Red Loctite require heat to break it loose? If memory serves me correct it requires like 450 deg to break it free. But then again sometimes my memory serves me like a waitress at Waffle House at 3:00 a.m. on a Tuesday! I had someone (a mechanic) place Red on a small screw unknown to me and when I needed to remove it it cracked the whole part and even if I did know it would not have been feasable to use heat. The difference between the colors is the amount of heat required just can't remember what Reds rating is. does anyone know?

The difference between the colors is the amount of heat required just can't remember what Reds rating is. does anyone know?

"272 Threadlocker High Temp./High Strength

Withstands temperatures to 450°F. Provides a fast cure on most surfaces including "as received" fasteners. Recommended for bolts up to 1 1/2" (36 mm) in diameter. Heat and hand tools are required for disassembly."

Hi guys, I want to share my quick fix, a had the same problem too, fix it twice and drop down to 800 rpm "crap" well, what I did I tuck off the spring and lock the screw with a lock nut, get some nail polish from your wife and brush a bit at the end of the screw, I did that to my busa and no problem since then. Just my 2 cent.

___
Catch me if you can!

I ran into a guy that had adjusted his a couple of times ,come to find out he didnt make sure that the fast idle wasnt pulled all the way back . somthing to check before adjusting.

I just bought my first busa (01) w 6000 mi weeks ago and noticed that the idle was low "800" so I adjusted it to 1150ish hot fan on. Within 100 miles I noticed it dropped to 1000 so I bumped it to 1150 again and used touch up paint on the threads that were exposed as a po-mans locktite..guess what? 100 more miles and it's down to 1000!!!
Here is what I found and believe to be the cause of the problem and the cure..
The spring clutches and wads up which stores torsional energy (torque)and until its ends slip or skip on unmoveable surfaces the spring will store this energy. The moveable surfaces (the screw) move with vibration as path of least resistance instead of the spring ends skipping....busa owner threads 1/4 turn of energy into the spring and the spring with the help of vibration and compression energy overcomes the friction of the threads that are pitched to relax and dials that 1/4 turn right back...
Here's the fix. Set your idle speed, hold the screw firm and rotate the spring counter clockwise a 1/4 turn or so with needle nose pliers by grabbing the spring right below the screw head..now you have installed torsional energy into the spring that wants to turn the screw in but can't.
I've not had any change in idle for 600 mi now.
By the way my friends zx12r did the same stuff and his doesn't change anymore either.:)
guess this one beats my road grime fix....
firedevil.gif

The difference between the colors is the amount of heat required just can't remember what Reds rating is.  does anyone know?

"272 Threadlocker High Temp./High Strength

Withstands temperatures to 450°F. Provides a fast cure on most surfaces including "as received" fasteners. Recommended for bolts up to 1 1/2" (36 mm) in diameter. Heat and hand tools are required for disassembly."
thanks for the confirmation.

I'm not nuts! I'm not nuts!
jump9.gif

For the record: One more '05 'Busa Limited with the same problem at 1200mi, post first dealer service. I'll try the nail polish trick.

Signed,
Robb- Western, OH

Add my Busa to list, I just adjusted the idle last week. I have an 05 with about 2k on it. Anyone have connections at Suzuki? This sounds like a recall issue to me.

I have had my bike out of the shop for three weeks now. The washers on the ends of the tension spring and the red locktite seem to be holding well. I have driven it 600 miles now with no drop in the RPM's. Before the fix I couldn't get 150 miles without adjusting it. Will keep you posted.

g

it's amazing....that with all of the great things the busa is..people still find time to nit pick this little stuff.
sad.gif

sure, my screw backed off a bit...but I just adjusted it and then rotated the spring until I felt the tension release....since then....900+ miles with no issues...no loc-tite...nothing.

keep in mind that anytime a number of people with one particular thing in common, that is the place you will find the complaints (and admirations) of that "item". But there are prolly thousands of busa owners out there that hoave no issues with the screw.

a nuisance, yes....a "recall issue"...nada.
IMO this is a non-issue.
thumbs-up.gif

Have they also replaced, rather than just stretch your existing tension spring? I bumped my idle up to 1200 RPM at day one and at 1,000 miles later, she's still there....
Yep, I have an 05 at around 1000 miles, and it has never dropped from it's original 1100 rpm. Did you see them apply the locktite? It keeps pistol screws from backing out at very heavy recoil. Hard to believe it won't hold an adjustment screw.

My 05 le kept backing off so i just bought the extended adjustment screw set up for a 2000 and wala i can adjust on the fly without removing the tank.

Back