03 busa, loud clanking

As others have said follow this procedure first,

Screenshot_2023-04-30-23-28-34-57_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Like full disassemble of the clutch? I did check the 6 bolts on the housing and one was loose, so I tightened that one up. Do I need to remove it all the way with all 6 bolts and look for something more specific?

the heck - how often again ??????? :banghead:

do the damn job i described at this page.

retightening is senseless up to stupid doing / fumbling around !!

otherwise you can (will) loose lots of money - broken part could cost (new) around 1500 - 2000 €
plus the event. job to pull the engine and open the gearbox if you can´t find all little broken parts - see the pic with the oil pan and all the parts in there - horror pure !!!

can´t believe that there are still busas ´99 - ´14 without glued-in / loctited clutch studs :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

all later than ´14 have "loctited" studs - as far as i know - but i wouls say safety first an control !!!! what year ever u have.

I picked the bike up for 2k, gonna try looking at the chain tomorrow morning, it definitely sounds like it's coming from the top on the side where the chain sits, after doing the clutch bolts, it only sounds like it smacks when the throttle and rims go up and down. So I'm believing it's the chain worn out and smacking. Guy I bought it from said it ran just fine 3 years ago, and it sat ever since then. He wasn't a sport bike guy as he rides a Harley. He said it sounded nothing like it does now, so hopefully it's just a worn tensioner or a worn chain and she'll be ready afterwards I hope.
If its the tensioner, i have a brand new one

Yes there is, I've debated ordering the manual cam tensioner, thoughts?

stop this stupid and money wasting idea

the clanking came from the loosened screws at the clutch.

the tensioneer should be ok - don´t fumble around there !!!

and if ever u have a noise / issue somewhere , start repair with one point (of where the issue is supposed) at the bike,
then test and if not solved,
do the next change and next test - whatever you change , change step after step NEVER 2 or more changes in one step - you can´t identitify an issue that way.

@BEERMONEY
what @Dopey , i guess , supposed could be this sound ?
if near by or hitting,
read my page to that isssue here
or
this page too to get an idea what can happen if sound seems to come from the clutch cover .

it would be better not starting the engine again , but first to open the clutch and inspect the screws ´n bolts ,
because , after watching the vid , i would say there is at minimum one screw loose or a bolt comes out .

BIGGEST DANGER ever ! look for at my page (with broken hub etc.) above !!!!!
You made me worry too :) Thanks for the good instructions. I checked my own clutch today, but it was already glued, anyway now I know for sure. Thank you!

stop this stupid and money wasting idea

the clanking came from the loosened screws at the clutch.

the tensioneer should be ok - don´t fumble around there !!!

and if ever u have a noise / issue somewhere , start repair with one point (of where the issue is supposed) at the bike,
then test and if not solved,
do the next change and next test - whatever you change , change step after step NEVER 2 or more changes in one step - you can´t identitify an issue that way.
You must nit read my threads, I've pulled my clutch apart 3 separate times, to the point I've literally even pulled out and inspected all the clutches.... I single handedly used a torque wrench and tightened them using thread locker aswell on the internals.... and yet when I start it, I still get the same damn smacking, which if you read my threads, already did the clutch on 3 separate occasions and still get the smacking sound from the top right of the engine bay where the cam chain rests underneath the valve cover.... I've already done the clutch and even tightened them down to the torque specifications following those instructions aswell as following the pdf version online. The sound still persists Berlin Germany. And that second video with me revving the engine and you hear it more prevalent was the second time I pulled the clutch apart and tightened ever single bolt on it. The third time I threadlocked them, started it and same smacking from the top right. I'm not stupid contrary to your belief in my humanity. The sound still persists leading me to believe it's the cam chain tensioner that has failed hence the need for me to purchase a new cam tensioner and chain, because if I'm already that deep to change the tensioner I'm changing the chain..... I'd rather be more on the side of caution and replace it while I'm already elbow deep. The clutch was settled yet issue remains. And I've already checked the exhaust gaskets aswell... leading to the last issue of that cam tensioner probably being at fault.......

So, checked the timing, everything is all timed correctly, checked the chain tension, she's tight. Here's some pictures of both.... I'm fairly stumped now as to what could be causing the clanking and ideas from here. Either that clutch mod is required, because when I checked her out I could physically move it in there and she cranked a bit. But what else could cause this issue?

20230505_221129.jpg

20230505_221201.jpg

So put her all back together, brought her up to temp hoping maybe it's push some oil through after sitting for 3 years.... still a clanking going on, I gave her a nice Rev and it seems like after about 4-5k+ rpms the sound goes away, and yes it's loud but you can still tell it goes away. So I'm thinking it's probably due for needing the clutch upgrade for the clutch basket to remove that damn clanking ‍♂️ anybody similar occasions? The shop I called originally said sounds like tensioner, I obviously checked that. The second shop I just got off the phone with said it sounds like a rod. 1400$ and about a 5 day turn around on the rod job. Would a rod knock go away after a higher rpm though is my question.

So put her all back together, brought her up to temp hoping maybe it's push some oil through after sitting for 3 years.... still a clanking going on, I gave her a nice Rev and it seems like after about 4-5k+ rpms the sound goes away, and yes it's loud but you can still tell it goes away. So I'm thinking it's probably due for needing the clutch upgrade for the clutch basket to remove that damn clanking ‍♂️ anybody similar occasions? The shop I called originally said sounds like tensioner, I obviously checked that. The second shop I just got off the phone with said it sounds like a rod. 1400$ and about a 5 day turn around on the rod job. Would a rod knock go away after a higher rpm though is my question.
Sitting for long periods of time and not placed into long term preservation can lead to some crazy things...

Could be a bearing that got rusty due to condensation in the engine and the bearing being partially exposed out of oil?

I've heard of this before but the bike sat longer..

Is there any noticeable vibration?

Sitting for long periods of time and not placed into long term preservation can lead to some crazy things...

Could be a bearing that got rusty due to condensation in the engine and the bearing being partially exposed out of oil?

I've heard of this before but the bike sat longer..

Is there any noticeable vibration?
nothing terrible vibrating other than when it clanking you can feel it vibrate throughout the bike, I've tried touching everywhere when it's happening and nothing vibrating more than anything else.. and nothing abnormally wrong with it.

Back