02 Hesitation and sputtering

magnuskgc

Registered
SO I have had this 02 Busa for a few months. Had Voodoo shorty exhaust and a power commander. It would bog down once in a while and sputter but after a long ride yesterday it is doing it much worse..

Doesn't matter what gear but around 4500 RPM it really sputters but if you increase the throttle it still pulls strong and hard.. you can feel the power KICK in.....

What are common issues that would cause this problem? I am thinking bad fuel injector, plug.. things like this.... any common problems people have encountered or suggestions where to begin looking?

SO I have had this 02 Busa for a few months. Had Voodoo shorty exhaust and a power commander. It would bog down once in a while and sputter but after a long ride yesterday it is doing it much worse..

Doesn't matter what gear but around 4500 RPM it really sputters but if you increase the throttle it still pulls strong and hard.. you can feel the power KICK in.....

What are common issues that would cause this problem? I am thinking bad fuel injector, plug.. things like this.... any common problems people have encountered or suggestions where to begin looking?

Pull out the spark plugs . . . if they are black, replace them and get a real map in that powercommander . . .:whistle:

If all you have are shorties, unplug the PC and see if it straightens out. If you've fouled plugs it won't matter. Fuel filter maybe ???

If all you have are shorties, unplug the PC and see if it straightens out. If you've fouled plugs it won't matter. Fuel filter maybe ???

Fouled plugs can misfire and cause a variety of problems. They won't necessarily clean themselves up once the problem is found and corrected. And yes, he can absolutely have a clogged fuel filter, that is possible. I would still pull the plugs first and see if the plugs are black . . . I am sure others will chime in with suggestions that are valid. There is a lot of knowledge on this board . . . please let us know what you find.

If you clean/replace all the relevant parts and you still have an issue, I'm betting you have bad map.

I will try and pull the plugs tomorrow.... I called a local shop that do allot of work on hayabusas. he said it could be a screw associated with the power commander too...

forgive me if this is a stupid questions but what do you mean by a bad map? WHen I got the bike he gave me allot of paper work and one piece was what looked like a DYNO graph... does that have any thing to do with it?

I will try and pull the plugs tomorrow.... I called a local shop that do allot of work on hayabusas. he said it could be a screw associated with the power commander too...

forgive me if this is a stupid questions but what do you mean by a bad map? WHen I got the bike he gave me allot of paper work and one piece was what looked like a DYNO graph... does that have any thing to do with it?

There is no "screw" associated with a powercommander, other than the screwing you might get from some idiot shop that has no clue. I'm curious, what does the dyno graph show for horsepower? Voodoo shorty pipes make a great sound. They don't, however, make any horsepower. If you have a dyno graph, it is possible that your bike was custom mapped. If your graph shows over 165 rear wheel, it wasn't with the Voodoo pipes. Do you know if the exhaust was changed before you got it? If so, the "map" in the powercommander may not be for the exhaust you have. If it is not, the bike could be running rich and fouling the plugs over a period of time.:whistle:

A map is like software for your ecu. The power commander allows you to alter the "software" so that your bike runs better with the new mods. So... new exhaust -> new map that fits it -> changes the air to fuel ratio, etc -> better running bike. (in theory)

The BEST bet is to ditch the PC and get a custom dyno tune for your specific bike from a knowledgeable tuner. :thumbsup:

OK sorry I have not gotten back to you guys..... I took the bike to a local shop.. $450 later I was told the power commanded did not have a map.. that and a sensor under the air box was bad.
He put a custom map in, changed the sensor but it seems like the flat spot moved from 4500 to 5500 rpms... I called and he suggested ridding it for a week after putting some dry gas or fuel injector cleaner in.... if is still runs like that bring it back,

Mean while the chain broke while he test drove it, hit him in the back and scratced my rear fairing. Ugh.... other then that he said the bike it in nice shape

Back