02 help won't start now

Yeah the fuel pump initializes and I hear the starter relay switch click. I pull in the clutch and hit the go daddy go button and it just sits there trying...it will catch everyonce in a while and then not continue. I'm lost.

hi, does the starter engage, but it just doesnt fire up? a cranks, no fire condition?, or a no crank condition?

all connections are clean, and carry voltage? if so...

the starter relay is what will receive the signal to crank, and i would suggest using a test light to confirm that a consistent signal is being sent to the relay when the start button is pushed.

if the test light comes on, but the starter does not engage(assuming full voltage), i would test the relay(solenoid), and the starter.

when working with voltage and computer controls be sure to always protect the positive side of the circuit from spark. the spark that occurs from hooking up chargers, and the like can cause havoc on low voltage systems. when hooking up connect the positive first, when unhooking disconnect the negative first.???

Last edited:
With the alligator clip hooked to the negative side of the starter relay and the test light portion hooked to the positive side, fuel pump on switch on...light is on. Bump starter light goes out

You said it tries to crank....... Pull the plugs and check condition. wet???
Try to crank with no plugs?

hi,

i just checked the clymer service manual, and here is the test they show for the starter motor:

1. securely support the motorcycle on level ground.
2. raise and support the fuel tank, and then remove the air filter housing
3. pull back the rubber boot from the starter motor terminal.
4. remove the starter terminal nut, and disconnect the starter cable form the starter terminal.
5. pull back the cover from the positive battery terminal, momentarily apply battery voltage directly to the starter by connecting a jumper from the battery positive terminal to the starter terminal post (careful, this will produce sparks, and be sure to use a heavy gauge jumper). the starter motor should engage.
6. if the starter does not engage, the starter motor has issue. repair or replace the starter.

I have an 02 that wouldnt start either. I removed the fuel tank and found the fuel pick-up tube came off the fuel pump and was floating in the tank. the pick up is held on by an o-ring and if some one has had the fuel tank off or removed the fuel pump you have to be very careful not to knock the fuel pick up loose that may fall off on rough road or seting it down after a wheelie.

Back