How fast

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
What is the top speed of a Florida Highway Patrol car?

I assume many states use the same car, just wondered what the top end of a police interceptor engine will do.

Got into a discussion at work, buddy thinks they'll do about 180, I think that's pretty high estimate. I'm thinking closer to 140-150 but then again, the motor is supposed to have a little more umph.

Any credible links would be helpful.

Crown vic will tap out at about 120-130 or so if the LEO is motivated. The Charger might hit 140 or so shaped like a brick... The Camaro will tap out at about 140-150 tops... But, most officers want to go home at night so it's unlikely that they would ever be driven that fast, there's little need or cause.

Very little extra oomph in FHP cars and a fair bit additional weight. In short... they're Buckets... All of em'

If you want a credible link I'd suggest R&T magazine. Find some comparable cars and extrapolate, FHP would love to have you believe they "really got something under the hood" but yeah... It's fantasy by and large when we are talking county/city/State vehicles.

If you plan on running every time you see flashing lights, don't forget that a good helicopter or plane will do around 170ish with no head wind , and you'll run out of fuel first.

Read in Motor Trend cop car shoout-out road test that cop cars have no additional umpff under the hood...just what comes from the factory.

Read in Motor Trend cop car shoout-out road test that cop cars have no additional umpff under the hood...just what comes from the factory.
Yep the only diffs are suspension and electronics and possibly brakes. In the good ole days they used to give some makes of patrol cars dual exhausts for a bit better breathing.....but nowadays I'm pretty sure they just order the biggest motor option the car comes with...just like we could, and thats about it engine wise. Several magazines tested stock, off the showroom floor Camaro's and hit 160 radared in them.....same with the Firebirds/Ta's. Those are the quickest pursuit vehicles you'd come up against on the ground
winkold.gif
laugh.gif

Its hard to beat radios and air pursuit tho
wowold.gif

I hear they're having MAJOR brake issues with the new Chargers. Brakes totally gone at 5000 miles.
But, I'd still like to have one...in poo Brown with Black rims and tinted windows.....with a black skull on the hood.....and tube bumpers......yeah...
firedevil.gif

the Crown Vics do have factory duels for the popo and a little more gear usually 3.27 compared to the 3.08 stockers and also limited slip diff. I work at the ford dealer here thats all Ive ever noticed.

FHP has more then crown vic they have the SS Camaro,Steeda Mustang,Mercury Marauder those are some of the vehicals they have in South Florida along with the CrownVic so it all depends on whats coming your way at what the top speed might be
beerchug.gif

huh, I assumed the LEO Crownies would at least get the DOHC cobra motor like the Marauder. I know their not that fast but I always assumed they at least got SOMETHING of a better package. Especially considering all the wight they throw in those things.

they don't need to be fater than you. as long as they can keep track of you from either the ground or air they'll just wait until you crash out.

I dont know about the others, but the Police Interceptor model of the Crown Vic is only different in a few areas; stiffer suspension, different gears, dual exhaust (which u can get on the sport model of the crown vic), heavy duty tranny and oil coolers, and better brakes. I have an 06 Crown Vic P71 and it tops out at 130 on a nice cool night ;)

FHP has quite a few different cars down here. Problem is you never know what is actually an FHP car anymore. I have seen chargers, mustangs, camaros, crown vics, marauders, expeditions, explorers, all unmarked.

We have had to put bigger alternators in sum for all the toys they pack in them. Ford usually pays for that though.

I dont know about the others, but the Police Interceptor model of the Crown Vic is only different in a few areas; stiffer suspension, different gears, dual exhaust (which u can get on the sport model of the crown vic), heavy duty tranny and oil coolers, and better brakes.  I have an 06 Crown Vic P71 and it tops out at 130 on a nice cool night ;)
Silicone fluid hoses instead of rubber too. Usually green or red.

Intakes are the same though.

FHP has more then crown vic they have the SS Camaro,Steeda Mustang,Mercury Marauder those are some of the vehicals they have in South Florida along with the CrownVic so it all depends on whats coming your way at what the top speed might be
beerchug.gif
Individual seizure vehicles don't really count. You see em' once in awhile, but they are hardley out in force.

Back