Anyone use this identy theft company?

I work at Office Depot and we offer this. It seems like a good deal... I don't know if any customers have really taken us up on it though. With identity theft the way it is, it is probably a pretty good idea.

Just had a thread on this (one of my rants) there are in fact 40 states now that allow you to lock your Credit bureau for free... (will save the rant part
smile.gif

Here at then numbers for you to call... you will need to check if you are in a state that allows you to freeze your credit for free..

Freeze your credit with Equifax. call 1-800-685-1111
Freeze your credit with Experian. call 1-888-397-3742
Freeze your credit with TransUnion. call 1-888-909-8872

They should have information on any mailing address you may have to use or fees if you are not in a free state..

HTH..

EDIT:: seems credit lock is allowed in all 50 now.. anyway... Web site about this service and what is in the law books

And here is the State by State list

Thanks Mr Bogus, I was thinking this might be something I could do myself. LifeLock calls it putting a fraud alert on your credit, is that the same thing as freezing your credit? And how often to you have to redo the fraud alert, every 6 months??

I think the "fraud alert" is simply a report they send you... if your credit is "locked" no one can access your credit history or reports without your written consent... sort of hard to perpetrate fraud if they can not access this data to get some company to issue the card in the first place..

So far what I have read is that once you install the lock.. it is there until you release it (no time limits)

I locked mine down for free and I have free access to turn it off and on (yea! for Indiana)
CA charges $10 per agency to lock them down (free if you are a victim of identity theft, BOOO! CA)

I think the "fraud alert" is simply a report they send you...  if your credit is "locked" no one can access your credit history or reports without your written consent...  sort of hard to perpetrate fraud if they can not access this data to get some company to issue the card in the first place..

So far what I have read is that once you install the lock.. it is there until you release it (no time limits)

I locked mine down for free and I have free access to turn it off and on (yea! for Indiana)
CA charges $10 per agency to lock them down (free if you are a victim of identity theft, BOOO! CA)
LifeLock said when I apply for some sort of new credit, the lender can't approve it until they call the number I provide LifeLock and ask security passwords that I set-up with LifeLock.  No written consent needed.

Do you have a link to your rant thread?

Thanks

can not find my "rant" but it was basically a complaint about how your credit rating and numbers relate to every aspect of your life...

add on top of that to monitor or protect it, you have to "pay" to do it... just seemed to me that something so far reaching should be put at our own fingertips to control access for free... and on and on....

one of the members here steered me to the site about the 40 states that in fact made it free....

I did a bit of research and locked all my own credit down for free..

I think there should be some PSA's for consumers about the ability to do this for free..

I have been interested in the Life Lock stuff myself heard about them during a Paul Harvey show said they would pay out a million dollars if someone was able to steal your Identity while you were with them.

Back