Question to all computer jocks

stlbusarider

Donating Member
Registered
I currently have a HP Pavilion DV4000 laptop. The LCD screen is cracked and the left hinge has started to break. I purchased a new screen and top bracket with hinges on E-Bay. They arrived today. My question is can I replace this myself or should I just pay someone to do it. I tinkered with it a bit earlier and can't seem to remove the bottom cover(battery side) to access the bolts on the hinges and the wiring. I appreciate any advice. Thanks

I would bet you could replace it yourself. do some google lookups on the process for your exact laptop. surely others have already been there

If you are handy and deal with electronics, you can do it yourself. You have to be careful though and trace all connections.

Insure that only the left hinge is damaged and not the case itself. I had an old HP where the case itself was cracked and when I put the new hinge in, it made the crack worse.

Here is the repair manual PDF.
www.186pix.com/DV4000.pdf

Good luck!

You need to take your time. Laptops can be a biotch. Go slow.

The manual is your friend.

Good luck! (just ignore that cracking sound as you pry it apart!
SHOCKED.gif
)

Printing the manual now, thanks a ton for the link. I'll need to grab some tools from work but it looks fairly simple. Thanks again.

(stlbusarider @ Aug. 27 2007,19:35) Printing the manual now, thanks a ton for the link. I'll need to grab some tools from work but it looks fairly simple. Thanks again.
Good luck! feel free to PM me if you run into something....
wink.gif

You'll probably need a small set of screwdriver ('precision' type). But nothing too crazy.

ALSO - Don't forget to ground yourself too...

Yes use a grounding strap that way you do not send static electricity into any of the internal components of the Laptop this could be a bad thing

I have successfully replaced lcd screen in a Toshiba laptop in the past, HP probably not that much different, I am close by in Florissant if you need any help. PM sent with phone no.

Thanks Busadrive I may have to take you up on that. I'm going to give it a shot in about an hour, we'll see how it goes.

Well I got it all done. Everything worked perfect and it only took about 25 minutes, thank you to all and your advise.
Thanks Whitele, the manual made it so much easier.

Back